Windows 10: Cannot use the taskbar to bring other windows to the forefront

Discus and support Cannot use the taskbar to bring other windows to the forefront in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just upgraded my Lenovo E520 laptop to Windows 10 last week. All went fairly well except I have a problem bring focus to some windows. I see past... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dunedude, Mar 13, 2016.

1. dunedude Win User

Cannot use the taskbar to bring other windows to the forefront

I just upgraded my Lenovo E520 laptop to Windows 10 last week. All went fairly well except I have a problem bring focus to some windows. I see past forum topics with this problem (threads 14765 and 19244) but no resolutions so I'm starting a new thread. For example, I have my Firefox browser in the forefront of my desktop and two MS Word 2010 documents minimized. If I try to bring focus to one of the Word documents, I can hover over it but not bring it into focus. When I click the file to the left, it disappears and the Firefox browser window retains focus. However, when I click the second file (to the right), it comes to the foreground and obtains focus.

Cannot use the taskbar to bring other windows to the forefront [​IMG]

The order of the files does not seem to matter. I can close one file and then reopen it and it might be able to then get focus directly from the taskbar. Once I have one of the Word documents in the foreground, I have to click on the Firefox browser 3 times to get it to obtain focus. The only consistency is that clicking on a window in the taskbar 3 times in succession is guaranteed to give it focus if the first time doesn't work.

As I read my own description of this problem, it seems completely unbelievable that this would be a valid problem but it is. The only workaround I can see is to have each application/window in its own desktop but that's also silly.

Here's a video of the full problem description:
    [youtube]W-0qet42t9M[/youtube]

:)

dunedude, Mar 13, 2016

2. Just wondering if I am the only one that has not received my new windows on the 29th?

* Original Title: Windows 10 download

Just wondering if I am the only one that has not received my new windows on the 29th, I reserved it and gave download e-mail confirmation and have heard nothing from Microsoft. Please respond.

to the point, Mar 13, 2016
  3. Unhiding the taskbar requires me to bring my cursor all the way to the very bottom of the screen, how can i change that?

Hi,

You can definitely change this option to your preferred settings. We suggest that you check and review our article about this topic on our support site on this

link

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Mar 13, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

Is switching apps with Alt-Tab working OK? That would be viable workaround until some solution come up.
    This sounds really annoying *Confused

Edit: could the non appearing word document be in the off screen position? Did you work before on two screen or something like that?

Ie: right click on problematic doc and select move. Then move it with keys.

AndreTen, Mar 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Cannot use the taskbar to bring other windows to the forefront - Similar Threads - Cannot taskbar bring

2. Windows 10 - Cannot open start menu, search with Cortana, and use other taskbar buttons

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Cannot open start menu, search with Cortana, and use other taskbar buttons: Hello,I am unable to view the start menu when pressing the windows button both physically and on the left of the taskbar, nor can I use other taskbar buttons like the notification box, volume scrollbar, Cortana search, etc. I found several Microsoft threads relating to this...
  3. Windows 10 - Cannot open start menu, search with Cortana, and use other taskbar buttons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Cannot open start menu, search with Cortana, and use other taskbar buttons: Hello,I am unable to view the start menu when pressing the windows button both physically and on the left of the taskbar, nor can I use other taskbar buttons like the notification box, volume scrollbar, Cortana search, etc. I found several Microsoft threads relating to this...
  4. Windows 10 - Cannot open start menu, search with Cortana, and use other taskbar buttons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground: Hey there,since I've updated to Windows 11 in November 2021 there are consistent issues with my taskbar.Even after a big number of serious updates on Windows 11, these problems still exist, and I can't find any solutions online.My system and all drivers are being...
  6. Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Red Taskbar Symbol, can't bring window to foreground: Hey there,since I've updated to Windows 11 in November 2021 there are consistent issues with my taskbar.Even after a big number of serious updates on Windows 11, these problems still exist, and I can't find any solutions online.My system and all drivers are being...
  7. Cannot use taskbar or windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot use taskbar or windows: Hard to explain, but I cannot open any application unless I do so on a shortcut on my screen. Cannot open anything besides Firefox on my taskbar and nothing besides photos on the windows menu, I can only open the window menu through the windows button as well. Any idea on...
  8. Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection: What virus or malware is shutting down Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection Windows 7? I run the update for definitions and it cancels on its own....
  9. Pages do not come to the forefront when clicking on them from taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Pages do not come to the forefront when clicking on them from taskbar: Hi all, I originally posted this to the Windows support forums, but they are slow to reply. Problem: Clicking on icons in the taskbar do not bring them to the forefront of the screen. For example, Word is open, and I try to click on Chrome, and Chrome is brought up behind...
  10. cannot use taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot use taskbar: Hi Ive been having this issue for the past week, basically the task bar doesnt really work. I cant left click on anything other than the apps/programs ive got pinned to the taskbar (and those i cant right click on), the start menu and all the other task bar icons i must...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to bring a window to the forefront

2. bring all windows to the forefront