Windows 10: cannot write on USB hard drive

Discus and support cannot write on USB hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; hello my problem is kinda strange and very annoying this problem started a month ago when i try to access , copy or read data from my HDD there is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Zaref, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Zaref Win User

cannot write on USB hard drive

hello
    my problem is kinda strange and very annoying
    this problem started a month ago
    when i try to access , copy or read data from my HDD there is no problem at all
    but when i try to copy or move new data to my External hard drive copying speed drops from 30-60 Mb/s to few KBs for about a minute then spikes up few times then i get error message saying the location is not available
    on task manager the External HDD usage is 100% but 0 read speed and 0 write speed
    i tried checking for errors multiple times all tests were negative
    today windows asked me to check for errors
    i did it but this happened

cannot write on USB hard drive [​IMG]

i headed to events viewer to see the report it was full of
    full report is attached
    could you help please
    thanks in advance *Smile
    chkdsk.txt

:)

Zaref, Jun 25, 2016

2. Can users burn files from a write-blocked external hard drive to CD/DVD/Blu-ray?

Hello,

I have a hardware write blocker, which write blocks hard drives. Will it carry its write-blocking attributes if users can burn files from a write-blocked external hard drive?

So far, from write-blocked USB drives, it does not permit to perform the same tasks.

JohnPallino, Jun 25, 2016
  3. Windows 10 suddenly Write Protecting USB Drives

I am having this same series of problems. I am running Windows 10 Pro. Once established, I cannot remove write protection from USB connected drives whether flash, hard disk or otherwise.

How can one remove the usb controllers with all human interface devices being usb connected?

MarkSanders1958, Jun 25, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

There could be many possibilities with the drive, with the USB port/s, with the USB controller on the motherboard, with the USB cable, etc. Could also be an issue using a USB 3.0 device on USB 2.0 port, a problem using a USB 2.0 cable when a USB 3.0 cable would be called for. I'd try the drive on a different computer to verify some of these points. Could also be the drive is going bad.

Berton, Jun 25, 2016
  5. How old is the drive in the enclosure. Looking at checkdisk, either the drive is failing or the controller in the enclosure is failing. Other possibilities are a power issue. Does the enclosure have its own power pack?

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. cannot write on USB hard drive - Similar Threads - cannot write USB

2. Hard drive write failure.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive write failure.: My hard drive failed. How can I transfer my windows 10 to a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-write-failure/5aef4cfa-1238-4e3e-98f4-3ea28e3a834b
  3. Hard drive write failure.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive write failure.: My hard drive failed. How can I transfer my windows 10 to a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-write-failure/5aef4cfa-1238-4e3e-98f4-3ea28e3a834b
  4. Hard drive write failure.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive: I can copy from, but not to ANY I have tried multiple external HDDs, ports and cables external drive. Whether I copy paste or drag drop, most times it will copy 1 or 2 files, then the copy stops, the drive disconnect chime occurs and explorer crashes. Most times I get...
  6. Write Protect USB Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Write Protect USB Drive: I need to make some data easily transferable and *tinker proof*. I have a set of 20 GB mostly PDF other Documents. Therefore I would like to put this data on a USB stick and afterward block anyone from editing selected parts. What can I do and how? submitted by...
  7. Hard drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive is write protected: How do I remove write protection from by hard drive used for file backups? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-is-write-protected/ec396705-cfcf-42aa-a095-6bfccafbb251
  8. External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External USB hard drive is write-protected. How can I remove write protection?: I have been using a Western Digital My Passport external USB 3.0 hard drive for years as a backup drive. My old computer died and I just replaced it. Now when I plug in the external drive, I cannot write to it in any way, even just renaming a file. This error message is...
  9. Cannot use USB External Hard Drive

Cannot use USB External Hard Drive: I am using Windows 10 Pro Build 19013.vb_release.191025-1609. Now I cannot use external hard drives. When plugging external hard drive I can hear the sound of something is connected. But, the drive never displayed in This PC. Checking Disk Management, the disk is not even...
  10. Will not write to USB drive

Will not write to USB drive: My Windows 10 OS has decided it does not like USB flash drives any more. It knows one is plugged in, there is a bleep when it's plugged in, File Manager shows it as "USB Drive H:", Device Manager shows it as a mass storage device and it is present as a hidden icon on the...