Windows 10: Cant acces uefi firmware settings

Discus and support Cant acces uefi firmware settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, So Im trying to install a new graphics card, and I have to tweak some settings in the bios. Unfortunately, when I try to open it(pressing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WintertheMute, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Cant acces uefi firmware settings

Hey guys,
    So Im trying to install a new graphics card, and I have to tweak some settings in the bios. Unfortunately, when I try to open it(pressing escape at startup, scrolling down, and selecting uefi settings and pressing enter) nothing happens. I looked this up, and it said to go to advanced startup and go through some steps to get to a menu that supposedly contains "uefi firmware settings". Now, I confirmed that this is the right menu, but the option is just not there. I thought about updating my BIOS, but there are no updates for it available.
    Does anyone know what do?
    Thanks in advance

:)

WintertheMute, Feb 22, 2016

2. pc said "your pc needs to be repaired. error code 0xc000000d." windows 10

I cant acces the command promt i can only acces the UEFI Firmware Settings

DouglasLyman, Feb 22, 2016
  3. uefi firmware settings

I had some free time this morning, so I started up the computer and repeatedly press F2 to get into Lenovo's factory restore (OneKey) for Windows 8.1... started up Windows 8.1 and went into settings via the charms, and ran advanced startup - restart now...
    there was no UEFI Firmware Settings... so I guess my bios somehow got corrupt or removed the UEFI or something.

Jack Smook, Feb 22, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Cant acces uefi firmware settings

Can you confirm that you do have UEFI Bios? The simplest way to do this is check via System Information (type in the search box) and see what it says. E.g.

Cant acces uefi firmware settings [​IMG]

philc43, Feb 22, 2016
  5. Actually, it says Legacy. What's the difference?

6. If it allows, you can set the bios type in the bios ui to from legacy to uefi or both uefi and legacy(best setting IMO) then you can access the uefi bios the way you were trying to in the first place. Legacy is old style bios control, uefi is new style with ease of accessing your physical bios ui through the operating system controls.

Full description here: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lopedoggie, Feb 22, 2016
  7. I looked that up, it says I have to reinstall windows to switch between legacy and uefi. Is there a way to access similar settings in legacy (namely the activating the pcie graphcis card slot or whatever its called)?
    Thanks for the quick response, by the way.

8. topgundcp Win User

Installing a graphic card does not have anything to do with whether your bios is set with UEFI or MBR. What actually are you trying to do ?

Some of the info from the internet is not always 100% correct. There's way to convert your Windows running with MBR mode to UEFI mode and vice versa. I've done it, However, you'd need to use a third party software to get it done.

topgundcp, Feb 22, 2016
  9. bobkn Win User
    Should be.

In my recent systems, the setup was accessed by pressing the delete key or the F2 function key during POST (power on self test). A UEFI can be navigated with the mouse, while the legacy BIOS needed cursor keys. Not that big a difference.

If you could identify your motherboard, that would lead us (or you) to which key is needed to get into the BIOS settings. One simple way to do that is CPU-Z (freeware):

CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

The .zip version requires no installation, just unzip and run the 32 or 64 bit version (depending on your OS).

edit: CPU-Z doesn't identify the key needed to enter the BIOS. It will tell what motherboard you have, and that will enable you to look up what key is needed. (Download the MB manual, or Google the board.) I repeat: the delet key or F2 are common choices. I doubt that the escape key is the right one.

bobkn, Feb 22, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are you sure Escape key is the key to enter your bios? Make sure when you exit Windows 10 you are clicking on the power icon, then select restart. Almost immediately after clicking on restart you can start repeatedly tapping the key which the manufacturer says gets you into bios setup. Just keep tapping it during the restart.

NavyLCDR, Feb 22, 2016
  11. So, clarification/explanation: I'm trying to install a new graphics card, but the screen goes black when I plug the monitor into it. A friend recommended that I activate the pcie port(i think that's what it's called) in bios, and i'm trying to figure out how to get to that setting. I'm pretty sure esc is the right key, because that's what it says as the computer starts, and it gives me a menu with some options, i just cant find the right one for this.

This is the output from that motherboard utility: Motherboard info - Pastebin.com

12. So, clarification/explanation: I'm trying to install a new graphics card, but the screen goes black when I plug the monitor into it. A friend recommended that I activate the pcie port(i think that's what it's called) in bios, and i'm trying to figure out how to get to that setting. I'm pretty sure esc is the right key, because that's what it says as the computer starts, and it gives me a menu with some options, i just cant find the right one for this.

This is the output from that motherboard utility: Motherboard info - Pastebin.com

13. essenbe Win User

Your graphics card will work whether you are in UEFI mode or Legacy mode. I would start looking at your graphics card power connections and your PSU. Make sure all of the connections are fully seated on both ends. Make sure you have the cable to the monitor connected to the back of the graphics card and not the motherboard. Make sure it is properly and fully seated as well. The bios initializes all hardware during post. Make sure the card itself is fully seated in the PCIe slot. Do the fans on the card spin up when you start up? Those are some of the places I would start looking.

essenbe, Feb 22, 2016
  14. AndreyT Win User
    Well, not exactly. The issue the OP is apparently talking about is the de-facto standard BIOS setting that we all have seen many times before: when motherboard has integrated graphics and the user wants to install a discrete graphic card, the motherboard has to be told which graphics subsystem to activate first at boot time, before the OS loads.

Yes, this is done in BIOS. And yes, this option is typically available in legacy BIOS, no need to switch to UEFI. So, if the OP's machine supports legacy BIOS then it is just a matter of figuring out what key to press to enter BIOS setup and then finding the corresponding graphics option in BIOS.

AndreyT, Feb 22, 2016
  15. bobkn Win User
    That's very nice, but what is the motherboard? (Mainboard tab in CPU-Z.)

bobkn, Feb 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Cant acces uefi firmware settings - Similar Threads - Cant acces uefi

2. The UEFI firmware settings missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The UEFI firmware settings missing: The UEFI firmware settings on my window 10 pro missing . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-uefi-firmware-settings-missing/c26c52fa-82d6-4d11-b41b-9e94ad91b866
  3. The UEFI firmware settings missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The UEFI firmware settings missing: The UEFI firmware settings on my window 10 pro missing . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-uefi-firmware-settings-missing/c26c52fa-82d6-4d11-b41b-9e94ad91b866
  4. The UEFI firmware settings missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to reach at "UEFI Firmware Settings" Option?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to reach at "UEFI Firmware Settings" Option?: I am using Windows 10 Pro Enterprise Version and i am trying to reach at "UEFI Firmware Setting" option but i couldn't found that option in my PC.How to i can reach at "UEFI Firmware Setting" option?...
  6. Cant access UEFI firmware settings

Cant access UEFI firmware settings: I'm tying to access the bios to enable virtualization but clicking UEFI firmware settings => restart just boots my pc normally. None of the buttons that should boot my pc in bios does anything either.How can i access bios?...
  7. UEFI Firmware Setting missing on Windows 10

UEFI Firmware Setting missing on Windows 10: Dear Friends, Why is UEFI Firmware Setting missing on Windows 10? [ATTACH] But in another Windows 10, I see this option. [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uefi-firmware-setting-missing-on-windows-10/d5160b6d-53c0-4e4b-9a94-2ca80be2ba66
  8. UEFI Firmware settings missing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    UEFI Firmware settings missing on Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]UEFI is one of the most important pieces of software when it comes to booting an operating system on a computer. BIOS being an alternative to UEFI already is less preferred when compared to it. Whether UEFI or BIOS is [...] This post UEFI Firmware settings...
  9. UEFI firmware settings SAMSUNG

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI firmware settings SAMSUNG: Hello all, My system specs are the following: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit UEFI Bios Phoenix BIOS version and drivers are updated, also confirmed by Slimdrivers. Samsung Series 5 ULTRA 530U4C-S02PT Also: It is an hybrid drive, 1TB HDD & 24GB SSD that is supposedly well...
  10. UEFI firmware settings screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI firmware settings screen: I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (32Bit), Since, I have lost access to my DVD drive. The Device Manager shows: [img] The drive has always been connected and worked fine with Windows 7; the hardware has never been altered or messed about with. So I decided...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why I dont have a firmware list or a bootmgr in my bios

2. windows says uefi but cant access uefi

3. cant see uefi firmware settings