Windows 10: Can't access .2.1 from .0.1>?

Discus and support Can't access .2.1 from .0.1>? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; O.K., now we are in business: You want to set up a secondary and dedicated VPN router. Let's assume that: - Your primary router has no issues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by winchesterstoke, Apr 7, 2017.

1. mQ573 Win User

Can't access .2.1 from .0.1>?

O.K., now we are in business: You want to set up a secondary and dedicated VPN router.

Let's assume that:
    - Your primary router has no issues connecting to the Internet or any of your devices;
    - Your secondary router is set up as a VPN endpoint and working properly, meaning you tested it separately (just connect it directly to your internet);
    - If wireless, both routers use a different SSID and (preferably) a different passphrase.
    - Both routers are on distinct subnets: If your primary's IP is aaa.bbb.1.c, your secondary's IP should be aaa.bbb.x.y, with x NOT 1 (Like in 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0)

Connect the WAN (internet) port on the VPN router to any LAN port on the primary router. Et voila...

Notes:
    - With this configuration you have what are effectively two discrete LANs. Devices connected to the primary router may not be able to talk to devices connected to the VPN router. There are workarounds, but that's a different ballgame.
    - You don't need 2 routers if you use the VPN with all your devices;
    - You don't need DD-WRT if your router is VPN capable. Although DD-WRT is excellent firmware, installing it will probably void your warranty and you risk bricking your router.
    - You should change your router passwords (Not use the default ones).
    - Don't expect ppl to watch a 30min. YouTube video to understand your post *Smile

mQ573, Apr 17, 2017

2. Thanks you! I really appreciate this! For the first time I now think its getting clearer!

"Both routers are on distinct subnets: If your primary's IP is aaa.bbb.1.c, your secondary's IP should be aaa.bbb.x.y, with x NOT 1 (Like in 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0)"

So I've been trying to connect to 192.168.2.0 as you mentioned (I think?) by selecting "Network Connecting" in Windows 10. Any advice or help would be really great? Thanks!

winchesterstoke, Apr 19, 2017
  3. mQ573 Win User
    The routers didn't come out of the box with these IPs as default. That was one of my assumptions, in other words part of the homework I was assuming you had done. It's up to you to make it effective. So what are now the two addresses you set your routers to?

And to connect to 192.168.2.0 (or any other IP) you don't use "Network Connections". You open your favourite internet browser and type 192.168.2.0 (or any other IP) in the address bar on top, then press Enter.
    If the router is available, it should ask you for a name and password before displaying its home page.

Now, I'm sorry to say I found such a question about connecting to 192.168.2.0 to be totally out of place, even if I answered it.
    If you want me to help you further, please understand you'll have to show you are indeed progressing in an orderly manner.

Regards.

mQ573, Apr 19, 2017
  4. Can't access .2.1 from .0.1>?

-You don't need 2 routers if you use the VPN with all yourdevices;[]OK
    -You don't need DD-WRT if your router is VPN capable. Although DD-WRTis excellent firmware, installing it will probably void your warrantyand you risk bricking your router.[]Thanks, I’ve already installed the second router so I’m probably already down the DD-WRT rout!
    -You should change your router passwords (Not use the defaultones).[] Noted and agreed.
    -Don't expect ppl to watch a 30min. YouTube video to understand yourpost [] Sorry. Never expected that!

Therouters didn't come out of the box with these IPs asdefault.[] I have spent many hours (before my stroke and since)That was one of my assumptions, in other words part of the homework I wasassuming you had done. [] Sorry– have done what I could so far, but will do the rest (which willtake a few days – sad :-( ). It'sup to you to make it effective. So what are now the two addresses youset your routers to?And to connect to 192.168.2.0 (or any other IP) you don't use "Network Connections". You open your favourite internet browser and type192.168.2.0 (or any other IP) in the address bar on top, then press Enter.If the router is available, it should ask you for a name and password before displaying its home page.[] That makes sense – I’d got confused previously ( but fundamental Ijust can’t see how my secondary router – or anything else – can be contacted by my 192.168.2.1 – I’m still missingsomething).Now, I'm sorry to say I found such a question about connecting to 192.168.2.0 to be totally out of place, even if I answered it.If you want me to help you further, please understand you'll have to show you are indeed progressing in an orderlymanner.[] I think I got confused (sorry!),but I think I do have a pretty good reason (at to is moment!), so sorry again.Regards.[] Just to add that I really appreciate all the help and long responses. The stroke I had meant that I couldn’t use my phone, I struggled to know my own name or address even after a few months, so I have to keep pushing myself that means that I may have slow or silly questions.

winchesterstoke, Apr 22, 2017
  5. mQ573 Win User
    Pushing oneself is commendable, but it should be in a given direction, not to run aimlessly or in circles. Questions aren't silly per se (arguable, but...). They may however be irrelevant in a given context, and always are in any undefined or fuzzy context.

What you can't plan, you'll never achieve. I'm sorry to hear about your predicament, but I suggest you should consider it as an extra incentive for planning in even more detail than usual before proceeding with your VPN project.

Before starting to plan, one must answer the question: "Is such endeavour worth the blood, sweat and tears I'm going to have to shed". It's also known as project's ROI *Smile.

Allow me to redirect you to an excellent article about VPNs: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...ng-a-vpn-sucks
    Some excerpts:

"Whenever I actually had to get something done, I turned off the VPN."

"But VPNs are primarily used by people who want to protect themselves in very specific and temporary circumstances. They're great for encrypting traffic on public WiFi networks, such as at the airport or at Starbucks. They're great for journalists and security researchers who want to hide their identity while reporting. They're terrible for always-on, regular-ass internet usage."

"The takeaway here is that no VPN is going to get widespread adoption from the average internet user, nor should it. We've repeatedly seen that given the choice between privacy and convenience, most people will choose convenience."

"Quite simply, it's bullshit that the average internet user has to even think about using a VPN."

Now, if you can't think of a better/easier project to work on, let me suggest a plan outline for you:

Step 1: Prepare and test the primary router: Please list all the tasks you have to complete before going to

Step 2: Prepare and test the secondary (VPN) router: Bigger step. Please list all the tasks you have to complete before going to

Step 3: Connect the 2 routers and test. Please list all the tasks you have to complete before going to

Step 4: Celebrate and prepare for ongoing maintenance.

Don't even think about starting a step before writing down a list of tasks. If you have questions on HOW to complete a given task, state WHAT you want to achieve, and someone will be happy to help.

Good luck and best wishes.

mQ573, Apr 22, 2017
  6. OK. Firstly, an apology: sorry if I've not quite got hold of the idea - but I am working hard after having a stroke so I'm not quite as shard as previously.

Secondly: I think I've now got me second router!

Finally: Thanks for all you generous help and advise: I wouldn't have got this sorted and it helps me get a bit better! Cheers!

winchesterstoke, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't access .2.1 from .0.1>?

1. Can't access .2.1 from .0.1>? - Similar Threads - Can't access

2. I have the correct recuperation key for Bitlocker but can't access the OS/Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have the correct recuperation key for Bitlocker but can't access the OS/Drive: I had one Windows on one hard drive and then installed a second windows on another drive. So I had two Windows two boot on one or another both Windows 11 Then I Bitlocker the second drive directly from its Windows but when it did the first retart to verify the keys, the blue...
  3. I have the correct recuperation key for Bitlocker but can't access the OS/Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have the correct recuperation key for Bitlocker but can't access the OS/Drive: I had one Windows on one hard drive and then installed a second windows on another drive. So I had two Windows two boot on one or another both Windows 11 Then I Bitlocker the second drive directly from its Windows but when it did the first retart to verify the keys, the blue...
  4. Can't access printer's preferences via settings-app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access printer's preferences via settings-app: I'm having trouble with accessing printer's preferences via settings-app. Please see details:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/78333888/xerox-6204-cant-access-printers-preferences-via-settings-app...
  5. Can't access printer's preferences via settings-app

Can't access printer's preferences via settings-app: I'm having trouble with accessing printer's preferences via settings-app. Please see details:https://stackoverflow.com/questions/78333888/xerox-6204-cant-access-printers-preferences-via-settings-app...
  6. Can't access printer's preferences via settings-app

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. I can't access the microsoft store. I need to install Lenovo Vantage due to any problem...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I can't access the microsoft store. I need to install Lenovo Vantage due to any problem...: I can't access the Microsoft store. I need to install Lenovo Vantage due to any problem with my laptop. please your advice to access the Microsoft store....
  8. I can't access the microsoft store. I need to install Lenovo Vantage due to any problem...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't access the microsoft store. I need to install Lenovo Vantage due to any problem...: I can't access the Microsoft store. I need to install Lenovo Vantage due to any problem with my laptop. please your advice to access the Microsoft store....
  9. I can't access the microsoft store. I need to install Lenovo Vantage due to any problem...

10. Very old seagate drive 1TB - Can't access it and can't format it. Cant remember what's...

Very old seagate drive 1TB - Can't access it and can't format it. Cant remember what's...: My seagate drive is not showing up under devices and drives in the "this pc" menu, so I can't access it, but it is showing up in device manager and disk managment.I'm fairly sure it is corrupted as it shows up unnamed in disk manager and there is no "NFTS".screenshot failed...