Windows 10: Can't Access Devices and Printers

Discus and support Can't Access Devices and Printers in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I've just upgraded to build 10240 and have found I cannot access Devices and Printers and I need to install a new printer driver as well as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TraceyW, Jul 27, 2015.

1. TraceyW Win User

Can't Access Devices and Printers

Hi

I've just upgraded to build 10240 and have found I cannot access Devices and Printers and I need to install a new printer driver as well as remove unwanted drivers for devices I do not have. I've tried all sorts of ways to access the dialogue but none of them work. I've tried accessing it via Settings|Devices, the Control Panel, the USB icon in the System Tray and the Run dialogue entering control printers. Nothing has worked. The previous build (10162) worked OK but now I just can't access Devices and Printers whatever I do.

Can someone please help?

Tracey

:)

TraceyW, Jul 27, 2015
  2. BobHand Win User

Cannot access Printers and Devices in Control Panel; cannot print a document from any program

Hi, Ju

You asked: "Are you able to view printer in device manager?"

Yes, the Device Manager has three "printers" listed:

• XPS Document Writer (I think; it is in Portuguese and is written Impress;ao de raiz)
    • Nitro PDF Creator (Reader 3)
    • Send to OneNote 16
    I have set the Nitro PDF Creator to the default printer. The Nitro PDF Reader program is working OK, no problem there. But it will not print a document.

I have never used the other two "printers"

There are three devices listed in Other Devices. The first two are "unknown devices" and have yellow triangular symbols with exclamation point, indicating problem. In the properties box of each of these
    devices, it says "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). There are no compatible drivers for this device. To find a driver of this device, click in Update Driver." Do you recommend I delete these two unknown devices?

The third device is MAP SMS and the Properties box says "This device is functioning correctly".

Now I will follow your direction and run the Troubleshooter. I'll report back when I complete the process.

Thanks very much for your help.

Bob Hand

BobHand, Jul 27, 2015
  3. BobHand Win User
    Cannot access Printers and Devices in Control Panel; cannot print a document from any program

Hi, Ju,

I am running the Printer Troubleshooter. It has advanced to the stage: "Checking if there are errors in the service Spooler".

It has now been at the stage for 50 minutes. The progress bar is showing activity. But results yet.

Is this normal?

Bob

BobHand, Jul 27, 2015
  4. TraceyW Win User

Hi

Sorry guys it all seems to be working now. Straaange. In fact I was in the process of writing a message about another problem I had when I noticed that particular problem had gone away. I then installed my printer driver and then checked to see if I could open Devices and Printers. It came up sweet as you like and allowed me to do what I wanted to do. Since then everything seems to be working just fine. It was almost as though it was waiting for something else to happen before allowing me to open it. Still eveything is OK now but it does make me feel a bit of a fool for even asking the question!!!

Tracey

TraceyW, Jul 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Can't Access Devices and Printers - Similar Threads - Can't Access Devices

2. Can't access to my device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access to my device manager: Whenever I want to access in device manager,i got message that i don't have the administrator permission.But i am the owner of the pc.I checked settings everything is okay. My Hotmail account aldo singed in there...
  3. Can't access to my device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access to my device manager: Whenever I want to access in device manager,i got message that i don't have the administrator permission.But i am the owner of the pc.I checked settings everything is okay. My Hotmail account aldo singed in there...
  4. Can't access to my device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access shared printer.: I have a windows 10 PC with a shared printer but every time I want to access the shared printer from other PC it always prompt that cannot connect to printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-shared-printer/a2f02dd8-32ff-487e-8ecf-54c93365a1ac
  6. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access shared printer.: I have a windows 10 PC with a shared printer but every time I want to access the shared printer from other PC it always prompt that cannot connect to printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-shared-printer/a2f02dd8-32ff-487e-8ecf-54c93365a1ac
  7. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can't add device in Device and Printers or Add bluetooth devices

Can't add device in Device and Printers or Add bluetooth devices: I'm trying to connect some Bluetooth earbuds I have with an adapter I just bought. I know for a fact the adapter works it just doesnt work on my computer. Any time I try clicking on either add device in Device and Printers tab or Add bluetooth device the box opens up for a...
  9. Printer access

Printer access: I have just installed a brand new Epson printer, but when I try to print I get a message "Specified driver invalid". I got this message with the old printer and thinking the printer was the problem I bought a new one. Note this only happened after I did a reboot. My computer...
  10. can't access network device normally? weird access ...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can't access network device normally? weird access ...: Hello : I can't access network device normally ? It is a internet power switch . For example if I type in 192.168.1.5/20000 , I can access the device . But with 192.168.1.5:20000 gives no access . Ideas , If I could get the latter to work , I would be golden .. thanks . 26051