Windows 10: Can't access HDD plugged in via a USB to SATA bridge?

Discus and support Can't access HDD plugged in via a USB to SATA bridge? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've just bought myself a new WD HDD, plugged it in, formatted it and given it a new drive number - all running well. I now want to copy everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BluesFanUK, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Can't access HDD plugged in via a USB to SATA bridge?

I've just bought myself a new WD HDD, plugged it in, formatted it and given it a new drive number - all running well.

I now want to copy everything from my old (smaller) HDD, so i've plugged it in to an old USB to SATA II/IDE, the computer installed the driver and the disk is spinning up, but the drive won't show under my disk drives.

In Computer Management the drive shows up saying it's healthy, but it says it's a GPT Protected Partition. All the options to reassign a drive letter/format etc are greyed out, except one option to change it to a dynamic disk. I've refrained from doing this just yet in case it wipes my drive.

How do I access the drive to get all the data off? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

:)

BluesFanUK, Apr 8, 2016

2. SSD not working when plugged in via SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter

Yes, it shows up but when I right click there is nothing to click at which is strange.

Can't access HDD plugged in via a USB to SATA bridge? [​IMG]

Wiktor Kalinowski, Apr 8, 2016
  3. SSD not working when plugged in via SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter

Hello, I have recently purchased an SSD 120GB from Kingston A400 when i plug it in to any of the USB Ports it doesnt appear under this PC but when i click into the Task Manager it shows up. Anyone know how to resolve this since i want to clone my HDD onto
    this SDD instead of installing Windows 10 using Boot Device and Media Creation Tool.

Wiktor Kalinowski, Apr 8, 2016
  4. kipper Win User

Can't access HDD plugged in via a USB to SATA bridge?

The USB to IDE/Sata might not have enough power since it is powered via the USB connection.....just a thought....

kipper, Apr 8, 2016
  5. kipper Win User
    How much available space is left your OS drive.........you might want to try to make a folder on your desktop; copy all the data from your old drive to that folder.......then remove the old HDD and install the new one and then copy that folder to the new bigger HDD.....

kipper, Apr 8, 2016
  6. It should have enough power, it's plugged into the mains, then USB/SATA controller itself allows me to plug the HDD in and connect via USB. It's also spinning up and showing within Computer Management.

My first thought was to move all the files elsewhere, but I only have a 250Gb SSD, the HDD is 2Tb and full.

BluesFanUK, Apr 8, 2016
  7. kipper Win User
    Still could be a power issue.......do you have an external enclosure that is self powered you could try it in?

From your system specs you should have enough SATA ports......how come you cannot just run the old and new drive off the motherboard while you transfer your data......?

kipper, Apr 8, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

seems the most sensible suggestion to me -- with the computer open simply plug the new HDD into a SATA port on the mobo and don't forget the power supply either.

For managing power to the HDD :

Use either the SATA power connector (the connector from the PSU --- ) -- if you don't have enough SATA power connectors then use a MOLEX connector -- the standard 4 pin IDE power connector-->SATA adapter.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 8, 2016
  9. Ended up doing exactly that. It's just a complete inconvenience as where my PC is situated the wires are short so have to take them all out to be able to pull the PC out into the open, it's located in a small enclosure up against a wall too and the thing is extremely heavy (Fractal Design R5), not easy to get back into place either. On top of that, I hate leaving it out in the open whilst everything transfers over as our annoying cat can't seem to stay away from it.

It did work previously on an older drive, though i'm guessing as the PC was pre-built last year that specific drive was created using their dodgy software or something. Got it sorted anyway. Cheers both.

BluesFanUK, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't access HDD plugged in via a USB to SATA bridge? - Similar Threads - Can't access HDD

2. Booting from USB SATA HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Booting from USB SATA HDD?: I just found my old HDD with Windows 7. I just plugged it into my current W10 PC (via USB-SATA adapter), i used EasyBCD and selected the drive letter of my W7HDD (G:) and added that as boot entry But when restarting, selecting the W7 entry, it shows me black screen, and no...
  3. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  4. HDD SATA DISAPPEARED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD SATA DISAPPEARED: After updating to Windows 11, my HDD disks disappeared. The ssd drives are in place and working. But the most interesting thing is that they are perfectly visible in the BIOS, but they are nowhere in the OS. When you roll back to Windows 10, they start working again.How to...
  5. Access USB Plugged into Router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access USB Plugged into Router: Hey Guys I am trying to access my router using file explorer [ATTACH] I then used the default gateway address and tried pasting it into file explorer as shown [ATTACH] But then receive the following error [ATTACH]...
  6. Accessing files from defunct laptop via USB cable HDD.

in Windows 10 Support
    Accessing files from defunct laptop via USB cable HDD.: Recently my computer became inoperable so I removed the hard disk and fitted it into a USB case. I now need to access the previous Admin account folder to retrieve some files, but Windows says I need Admin permission and must reply Continue which I did but the folder still...
  7. SSD to SATA via USB not showing on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD to SATA via USB not showing on windows 10: Hello, I did solve the problem, and I am posting because I saw many forums with the same issue and nobody was telling the correct way to solve it. Background: The computer is a laptop, the original HD is inside the laptop and it is a 2.5", normal laptop SATA connector...
  8. Need to access a Linux SATA HD (connected via a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need to access a Linux SATA HD (connected via a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter): Hope this isn't outside of the Windows10 community!? I have a SATA HD (WD30EFRX 3.0TB) connected to a Windows 10 machine via an USB 3.0 to SATA adapter. Explorer will recognize the partitions but (obviously, as they are Linux) will not access. Is there an "easy" way to...
  9. Windows 10 unable to access external HDD via USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 unable to access external HDD via USB: Hopefully someone can help. My desktop HD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB) drive failed in some way. That desktop system can longer boot or even recognize drive. I have connected it to my laptop as an external drive via USB. Windows explorer does not see it at all. Disk Mgmt shows it...
  10. Problem with USB2 to IDE/SATA Bridge

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with USB2 to IDE/SATA Bridge: Hi! I recently tried to use this device which worked on Windows 7 Professional before upgrading to 10. I found that the USB2 device fluctuated from appearing in Device Manager. Also the SATA drive appeared as named device, then Local drive or disappeared completely. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. see all partition on disk if plugged into sata but nothing if in external

3. cant access laptop hdd plugged in

4. how to access hdd plugged in