Windows 10: Can't access my computer

Discus and support Can't access my computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; New computer, set up networking to all the other computers (4) on my network, now trying to map some locations on my computer, click on the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rboppy, Feb 18, 2017.

1. rboppy Win User

Can't access my computer

New computer, set up networking to all the other computers (4) on my network, now trying to map some locations on my computer, click on the computer name and nothing happens, it doesn't expand. Network discovery is turned on as well as file and print sharing.

This computer is seen on the network, trying to map it from one of the other computers, asks for the credentials but won't expand either.

:)

rboppy, Feb 18, 2017

2. Can't access my computer

Hi Jane,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

Press Enter key and check if you are able to log in.

If you are unable to log in, then refer the steps below. It could be due to driver issue. I suggest you to update the display and chipset drivers from the manufacturers website.

If you see the black screen or have a flickering screen before sign-in:

1. Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
    • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort to VGA, or any other combination.
    2. Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

• Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters.
      • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)
      • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 18, 2017
  3. JaneWB Win User
    Can't access my computer

I downloaded Windows 10 onto my laptop which was previously 8.1 and when the sign-in page appeared near the end I typed in my password in the box and there was no arrow or any other symbol at the end of the box to click on. So I can not log on .No messages
    appear -nothing happens. Can any one suggest why or tell me what I should do now?

JaneWB, Feb 18, 2017
  4. sml156 Win User

Can't access my computer

Check your network and sharing center and make sure it is set to Private.

Can't access my computer [​IMG]

If your not sure how to open it press the Windows key + R and paste
    Code: control.exe /name Microsoft.NetworkandSharingCenter[/quote] into the box and press Enter.

sml156, Feb 18, 2017
  5. sml156 Win User
    Also While your there click on Troubleshoot Problems and select Shared Folders. Maybe Windows will fix itself.

sml156, Feb 18, 2017
  6. rboppy Win User
    Thanks sml156, it is not set to Private, it's called:
    Network 2
    Public network
    How do I get it set to Private?

rboppy, Feb 18, 2017
  7. sml156 Win User
    If you run the troubleshooter in my last post and run Shared folders that should fix it. Make sure you make it private and not turn on sharing for public.

sml156, Feb 18, 2017
  8. sml156 Win User

Can't access my computer

sml156, Feb 18, 2017
  9. rboppy Win User
    Ran the troubleshooter, shared folders (which talks about fixing problems accessing files and folders on Other computers, I have no problem with that), clicking Next asks for network location I want to access, I entered this computers name: \\computername\users

Troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem.

rboppy, Feb 18, 2017
  10. sml156 Win User
    I havent run that troubleshooter for quite a while but if I remember right if you click next or ok I think it will fix it.

You probably did'ent see my last post from a minute ago try that.

Network Location - Set to Private or Public in Windows 10

Also you could have typed \\COMPUTER_NAME\\

sml156, Feb 18, 2017
  11. rboppy Win User
    rboppy, Feb 18, 2017
  12. sml156 Win User
    Cool Glad to hear it's resolved, Mark this thread as resolved.

I Would reboot your computer and Router to make sure the settings stick, If not I have one more trick up my sleeve.

sml156, Feb 18, 2017
  13. rboppy Win User

Can't access my computer

I was a bit premature in saying it was resolved, the network is now private but I still can't access this computer from anywhere.

Yes I did reboot the router and computer.

rboppy, Feb 18, 2017
  14. EdTittel Win User
    Do you have a local homegroup? Have you tried joining it? If not, it may be worth setting one up and having everybody join it.
    Homegroup - Join in Windows 10
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 19, 2017
  15. rboppy Win User
    No Ed, don't have a Homegroup, and that wouldn't solve the problem I'm having. I want to be able to get deep into my computer, i.e., C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft, by clicking a single letter in my file explorer, my mapping that via Network Mapping. And for some reason I'm unable to that with this new computer.

rboppy, Feb 19, 2017
Thema:

Can't access my computer

1. Can't access my computer - Similar Threads - Can't access computer

2. my dad died and can't access his computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my dad died and can't access his computer: my father died and left me his computer. unfortunately he didn't write down the password as i couldn't contact him as I live in another state. my father gave them said password. but no one wrote it down. I can provide email, death certification, and any information that is...
  3. I can't access my personal computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't access my personal computer: I can't access my laptop anymore I have already my account and password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-access-my-personal-computer/86aced82-5040-4d21-a269-aafa2ed64079
  4. I can't access my personal computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't access my personal computer: I can't access my laptop anymore I have already my account and password https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-access-my-personal-computer/86aced82-5040-4d21-a269-aafa2ed64079
  5. Locked my computer remotely and now can't access my computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Locked my computer remotely and now can't access my computer: I locked my computer remotely with the Find My Device tab. I now can't log into my computer. When I enter my pin it tells me "An administrator has restricted sign in. To sign in, make sure your device is connected to the Internet, and have your administrator sign in first."I...
  6. Can't access another computer on my network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access another computer on my network: Since I've updated Windows, I can no longer access my other computer that I have networked. It says I do not have permission to access the computer. I've never had to utilize a user/password....
  7. Stuck outside my computer can't access internet

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck outside my computer can't access internet: Hi guys, need your help to save my ****. I recently made a few change to my booting system, ai was getting isane after adobe allow itself to boot at the begining even after I told him not to. It resulted in me, making some modification in windows+R msconfig and put on...
  8. Can't access certain features of my computer

Can't access certain features of my computer: Recently I have attempted to use my laptop's computer, but it is unable to be found, stating that it possibly could be blocked by antivirus software. While I don't have any antivirus installed, I attempted to go to "Virus and Threat Protection" settings in my computer. I am...
  9. Can't access one computer on my network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access one computer on my network: I have a strange problem and can't find an answer. My network has the following computers: -Win 10 Pro desktop -Win 10 Home laptop -Win 7 desktop From the laptop, I can't see or access the Win 10 Pro desktop but I can see and access the Win 7 desktop. I can see and access...
  10. I can't access my computer.

I can't access my computer.: After downloading what was supposed to be "DriverUpdatePlus" from Microsoft I can't access my computer. It won't let me enter my password or respond in any way. Have I made a bad mistake and downloaded a virus, malware or something?...