Windows 10: Can't access NAS without internet

Discus and support Can't access NAS without internet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My access to my Synology NAS is not working anymore since I have moved. At my new place, I don't have internet (yet) and it looks like that is tripping... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MightyMauz, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Can't access NAS without internet

My access to my Synology NAS is not working anymore since I have moved. At my new place, I don't have internet (yet) and it looks like that is tripping off Windows (maybe it increased security settings???). I have my folders mapped, I used to be able to access my NAS folders through Windows Explorer and if that wasn't working, \\ diskstation always worked. But now on my new location, as soon as I connect to the LAN, Windows seems to do a connection test as my browser opens and it tries to go to a Microsoft webpage, but soon enough I get forwarded to my router which is saying it is not connected to the internet. When I try to access my diskstation by \\ diskstation it times out after a minute or so.

I can, however, access the NAS through the web interface, but moving files that way is a pain.

It all works just fine on my Windows 7 machine though, so I am currently blaming windows 10 and not the router.

When I moved, nothing changed. I have the same router, same NAS, fixed IPs. The only difference is the router not receiving internet signal anymore.

How can I access my NAS folders through Windows Explorer again?

My setup:

• Windows 10 laptop
    • Windows 7 laptop
    • Synology DS116
    • Asus RT-AC66U router

:)

MightyMauz, Jul 23, 2018

2. Can't access NAS without internet

My access to my Synology NAS is not working anymore since I have moved. At my new place, I don't have internet (yet) and it looks like that is tripping off Windows (maybe it increased security settings???). I have my folders mapped, I used to be able to access my NAS folders through Windows Explorer and if that wasn't working, \\ diskstation always worked. But now on my new location, as soon as I connect to the LAN, Windows seems to do a connection test as my browser opens and it tries to go to a Microsoft webpage, but soon enough I get forwarded to my router which is saying it is not connected to the internet. When I try to access my diskstation by \\ diskstation it times out after a minute or so.

I can, however, access the NAS through the web interface, but moving files that way is a pain.

It all works just fine on my Windows 7 machine though, so I am currently blaming windows 10 and not the router.

When I moved, nothing changed. I have the same router, same NAS, fixed IPs. The only difference is the router not receiving internet signal anymore.

How can I access my NAS folders through Windows Explorer again?

My setup:

• Windows 10 laptop
    • Windows 7 laptop
    • Synology DS116
    • Asus RT-AC66U router

MightyMauz, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Windows 10 & NAS Box

Hi Peter,

A few possible reasons can cause this issue. To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• How is your NAS box connected to your computer? (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or USB)
    • Are you using a program provided by the manufacturer of your NAS box to access it?
    • Do you receive any error messages when accessing your NAS box? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you perform the solution provided by omiklik (Most Helpful Reply)
    in the following thread: Unable to see NAS drive on Network - Win 10 PC.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Barman58 Win User

Can't access NAS without internet

Should I go for a NAS?

1. How many PC's need access to the data?
    2. Are you streaming data to TV's or mobile devices?
    3. Do you need to access the data whilst the PC is off

If you are not thinking of any of the above I would suggest that 8TB of storage On the PC and sufficient Backup Space external to it would be fine, and more cost effective.

If you are intending any of the above and especially Number 3 then a NAS looks more appropriate

Barman58, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

Can't access NAS without internet

1. Can't access NAS without internet - Similar Threads - Can't access NAS

2. Can't use laptop without internet access

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't use laptop without internet access: Hi. I'm trying to get a document from my drive but guess what? I can't use the computer without logging into Microsoft. 2 questions:1 How can I disable this permanently?2 Why would you design a computer that can't be used in a rural area? Not everyone has access to the...
  3. Can't use laptop without internet access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't use laptop without internet access: Hi. I'm trying to get a document from my drive but guess what? I can't use the computer without logging into Microsoft. 2 questions:1 How can I disable this permanently?2 Why would you design a computer that can't be used in a rural area? Not everyone has access to the...
  4. Can't use laptop without internet access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't Access my NAS drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access my NAS drive: I cant connect to my NAS. I had mapped drives that worked fine earlier. now I only get an error message. Long message essentialy to many server connections. What has happend Please advice Regards Anders...
  6. Can't login without internet access and that's blocked atm

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't login without internet access and that's blocked atm: Greetings, First time posting here. I need help. I had to replace the motherboard on my new Dell XPS 8940 computer running Windows 10 Pro. In booting back up, it reset the Windows Hello security for my Microsoft account that I use to login (I have no other logins set up)....
  7. Can't access NAS files in file explorer

Can't access NAS files in file explorer: Hi, I have a small home office with two computers. I decided to invest in a NAS so that the two computers have access to the same files. The newer computer, a lenovo AIO, had no problem connecting to the nas through a network switch which both computers are connected to,...
  8. Can't access NAS by name

Can't access NAS by name: Yesterday I did a clean (re)install of Windows 10. All seemed ok, but today I cannot access a NAS disk by name. I can access it by IP address, and nslookup correctly resolve both name and addresses. But if I try to access \\MyBookLive (I know, - a cleverly original name.) - I...
  9. Windows Explorer Can't Access NAS Storage

Windows Explorer Can't Access NAS Storage: I have a WD EX2Ultra NAS on my home network. Everything worked perfectly until a recent Windows 10 update to Version 1703 Build 15063.540 on my laptop. Now my Windows 10 laptop cannot access the HDs in the NAS. But, my wife's Windows 7 desktop still has access to the NAS HDs....
  10. Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer

Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer: I have 2 NAS drives connected to my network, one is a Buffalo NAS and the other is a LaCie NAS. When I try to access the NAS on my Windows 10 Pro PCs, I get a message stating Error code 0x80070035 The network path was not found. I can access the management console for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can access san without internet

2. file explorer doesnt see synology files

3. cant see diskstation anymore in Network