Windows 10: Can't access network shares

Discus and support Can't access network shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Before the upgrade to 10 I was on 7 and logged in with a local account with all computers having the same usernames and passwords and sharing worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MikeWilliams, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Can't access network shares

Before the upgrade to 10 I was on 7 and logged in with a local account with all computers having the same usernames and passwords and sharing worked flawlessly.

After the upgrade I am now logging in with a Microsoft account and sharing does not work.

Windows 7 Pro --> Windows 10 Pro Upgrade.

:)

MikeWilliams, Aug 1, 2015

2. Cant access Network Shares

solved it switching from Windows 10 Education to Windows 10 Pro.

Daniel Sterzek Dian, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Cant access Network Shares

Hi, Im trying to access the other computers at home but every time I try I get the following error:

Can't access network shares [​IMG]

0x80070035 The network path was not found

Yet I can see the other computers when I go to the Network link:

Here are my sharing settings:

Daniel Sterzek Dian, Aug 1, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Can't access network shares

Hi there

To share a LOCAL machine FROM the one with the Ms account - when you see the windows popup enter the following

Username : LOCALMACHINENAME\USERNAME Username is your username on the Local machine
    Password : Your password

To share the Ms ACCOUNT machine FROM the local machine

USERNAME this is usually the username of the Ms account minus the email bit (i.e remove from the @ onwards)
    Password your Ms account password

If that username doesn't work logon to the users directory and see what user names have folders -- use one of those usernames with your Ms account password.

It's bonkers -- but hey - when did Windows Networking ever really work properly -- ever since they attempted serious networking way back in Windows 3. !!!!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Thanks Jim,

Should have made it a bit clearer.

I am trying to get to the administrative share i.e. \\server\c$ which normally works fine if the username and password are the same on BOTH the server and the laptop when it used to have Windows 7 on it and I logged on with the account.

Server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 (lets say it's machine name is SERVER) and I am logging on with local account (i.e. User)
    Laptop was upgraded fro Windows 7 Pro with local account (i.e. User) and is now running Windows 10 Pro logged in with a Microsoft account (i.e. L: user@outlook.com)

Password is the same for local account on both server and laptop prior to upgrade, same password for L: user@outlook.com

When I try to browse to \\server\c$ I get the login prompt. and none of the combinations below work
    server\user password
    .\user password

PS: All machine names, account names are fictitious for the purpose of this discussion

MikeWilliams, Aug 2, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I've never tried the administrative shares (C$ for example). I think even from Linux (Samba) connections to W10 via SMB the C$ type shares are shown but I've never tried connecting to those.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't access network shares

1. Can't access network shares - Similar Threads - Can't access network

2. Can't access shared folder on the network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access shared folder on the network: Hello,I'm trying to share a folder in my computer with another computer on my network my computer is Win11, the other Win10. The other computer sees the folder and my computer, but when they try to access it, the following error message is shown: 'You don't have permission to...
  3. Can't access shared folder on the network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access shared folder on the network: Hello,I'm trying to share a folder in my computer with another computer on my network my computer is Win11, the other Win10. The other computer sees the folder and my computer, but when they try to access it, the following error message is shown: 'You don't have permission to...
  4. Can't access Files on network share from Laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access Files on network share from Laptop: I have a Desktop and Laptop on my home network, both are using the same Microsoft account and are on the same Network and can both can be seen on the Network on both computers.I can access the Laptop from the Desktop but I can't access the Desktop from the Laptop.Both have...
  5. Can't Access File Sharing or Network

Can't Access File Sharing or Network: Hello,I'm having a difficult time right now getting my file sharing and Network to run.Im trying to use Roon Audio via a ROCK NUC10i3. I'm at this stephttps://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-os-missing-codecsBut I have nothing showing up in my network drive.I've...
  6. Can't access a shared network drive

Can't access a shared network drive: I have a Windows desktop system here to which I need to connect my two Windows laptops. Laptop1 connects fine but laptop2 returns an error to the effect that I need permission to access that system. But obviously I've done everything on the desktop system that needs to be...
  7. Can't map network share, but I can access it

Can't map network share, but I can access it: I'm new to Windows 10 network shares and mapping, so please be kind! I have a SAMBA network share on a WD NAS drive, with login credentials, named "bobloblaw". I am trying to access it from my laptop running Windows 10 Pro v. 1909, via WiFi, on the local network. I can...
  8. network sharing / access

network sharing / access: [ATTACH] I've clicked and searched folders, explorer, sharing, users, advanced etc. and all I know to look at for hours. I can't access Jason at all, see this message. I can see the third computer and can access the \\users\public folder - on it. His computer name is -2019...
  9. Users can't access to the shared network folder

Users can't access to the shared network folder: Hello, One of the user can't access to the "old" shared folder. It's weird, because i've created group "test" and "new" folder to share. Both old and new one folder got "test" group in the Security Tab (Full Control). And now. Old one say's - you dont have permission...
  10. Can't access network usb shared hard drive

Can't access network usb shared hard drive: I may have posted this before, so I apologize for being repetitive. I have a hard drive that is connect to my modem / router via a usb connection. The drive is accessed via \\mynetwork\NETWORKHD After rebooting my router, this will work for some number of days before...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant access network share windows 10 education

2. windows 10 education cannot access network shares