Windows 10: Can't access old laptop HDD, freezes

Discus and support Can't access old laptop HDD, freezes in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to access some files from an older laptop that no longer works. When I connect the hard drive (Seagate ST500LM021 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cashe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ncheney1234, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Can't access old laptop HDD, freezes

I'm trying to access some files from an older laptop that no longer works. When I connect the hard drive (Seagate ST500LM021 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cashe SATA - OEM) from my old laptop to my new personal laptop (Manufacturer: Acer, Model: Aspire R5-571TG) the computer recognizes it as driver D:, but if i try to open it my computer crashes. The Disk Manager doesn't show the HDD either.

However, when I connected the driver to my work computer, it recognized the driver and i was able to access it. It displayed some of the folders (program files, program files x86, Users, Python, etc.), however, when I open the folders there is nothing in them and I believe it's because the work computer has some security configurations to prevent anything being read from any hard drive or USB drive, so I basically can't recover the files with that computer. I can also right click and check properties and it does read that it has 103 GB out of ~500 GB of used space.

I think it might have to do with Windows 10 because the old laptop ran on windows 7 and my work computer runs on windows 7. However, my personal computer runs on windows 10 and someone else tried to connect to it on their laptop, which also ran on windows 10, and both computers crashed. So I guess this might be a compatibility issue? Can you connect a windows 7 hard drive to a laptop that runs on windows 10?

:)

ncheney1234, Aug 7, 2018
  2. Johankaan Win User

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Aug 7, 2018
  3. OleBaba Win User
    Access to documents from old laptop hdd

I recently found a old (3-6 years) laptop from my sister and retrieved the hdd amongst other components. I connected the hdd to my own pc and can now see all the files and documents, but some are not accessible. I found out how to change this, although I
    have to manually change the ownership and enable inheritance on each and every file that has restricted access.

Is there a way to atomatically change these settings on every file i want?

Hope to get some great answers

OleBaba, Aug 7, 2018
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Can't access old laptop HDD, freezes

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

Can't access old laptop HDD, freezes

1. Can't access old laptop HDD, freezes - Similar Threads - Can't access old

2. Old laptop hdd ownership

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Old laptop hdd ownership: I removed the hdd from an old laptop and installed on an empty bay of my new laptop to transfer files . I had to change ownership to gain access to the old hdd and anfter transferring all my personal files pictures ,music,documents and videos I installed the old hdd in the...
  3. Old laptop hdd ownership

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old laptop hdd ownership: I removed the hdd from an old laptop and installed on an empty bay of my new laptop to transfer files . I had to change ownership to gain access to the old hdd and anfter transferring all my personal files pictures ,music,documents and videos I installed the old hdd in the...
  4. Old laptop hdd ownership

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Access old hdd after clone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Access old hdd after clone: Hey guys, little help here if poss I done a successful clone of my HDD to a SSD, no prob there, put in new ssd all works as it should. My problem is as its a clone, its exactly the same as the HDD now out the machine including being called a C drive. I need to access the HDD,...
  6. Old HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Old HDD: So I just found an old hdd I've been looking for and plugged it into my comp using a usb bridge. It didn't show in explorer so I checked disk management and there it is. It says it's healthy and while it's probably almost 25 years old, the drive is still running just fine...
  7. Windows can't access external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows can't access external hdd: Hello So I use a western digital my passport external hdd and windows 10. Previously its been a bit finicky, I assumed its been the cable. Typically it works fine and I store all my media on it. Yesterday I plugged it into my Samsung Q60T TV for the first time, hoping to...
  8. Can't Access 'old' drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access 'old' drives: I got a new parts in my pc, and The things I changed was the Processor and Motherboard. The Storage devices were left unchanged. It's been awhile since I changed the parts but, everything that I had previously had installed/had on my 'old' system was still there, but. Locked...
  9. I can't Access my HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't Access my HDD: I'm pretty new to the whole computer and laptop world as this is my first one so keep that in mind. So first off I'm trying to install a new internal SSD and so I found out that I would need to clone the original SSD. So after I did that I was looking at my files and saw...
  10. Computer freezes when accessing HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer freezes when accessing HDD: I have 3 drives in my system,every time I access my partition which is assigned to the WD green ,system will freeze for a second and I can hear my hard drive ramp up and system comes right back to normal Windows is installed on my SSD As for my 1tb WD blue,the ramp up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. trying to scan old hdd freezes computer