Windows 10: Can't access secondary drive and power failure during CHKDSK

Discus and support Can't access secondary drive and power failure during CHKDSK in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had a file folder on my secondary drive D: which I wanted to delete. Windows wouldn't delete it and gave me an error code 0x80070091. A Google search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dsscottage, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Can't access secondary drive and power failure during CHKDSK

I had a file folder on my secondary drive D: which I wanted to delete. Windows wouldn't delete it and gave me an error code 0x80070091. A Google search suggested running CHKDSK and I did that (chkdsk /f /r D*Smile. However, there was a power failure when CHKDSK was at 10%.
    Now Windows will load correctly (drive C*Smile but my secondary drive D: is inaccessible. In Computer Management/Disk Management, the drive is shown as RAW.
    When I load File Explorer, it loads VERY slowly probably because it is looking for Drive D:.
    I have a fairly recent backup of my D: drive and should be able to reformat and reload. However, I'd prefer to fix the problem if possible.
    When I right click the D: drive in Computer Management/Disk Management, the format option is grayed out. Therefore, I believe this means that I can't format the drive. However after File Explorer finally loads, it shows Drive D: but when accessed gives the error message "file directory is corrupt or unreadable". If I right click it in File Explorer, the format option is available.

I have run the troubleshooter twice and it says that it fixed errors and needed a reboot but the problem remains.

After that, every time I boot, CHKDSK attempts to run but I stop it.

I did a search and found a suggestion to change the Registry entry at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" to "autocheck autochk *" but that is what the entry is (i.e. doesn't need to be changed). That same article suggested using the command "chkntfs /x D:"
    in an elevated command prompt to stop CHKDSK. I did this but now Windows restarts every time I shut it down!

I've checked to see if the drives are dirty. Drive C: is not and Drive D: is inaccessable.

I seem to be digging myself a bigger hole.

Any suggestions how I can get out of this mess?

:)

dsscottage, Aug 29, 2016

2. CHKDSK interrupted - now can't access Drive D:

I had a file folder on my secondary drive D: which I wanted to delete. Windows wouldn't delete it and gave me an error code 0x80070091. A Google search suggested running CHKDSK and I did that (chkdsk
    /f /r DCan't access secondary drive and power failure during CHKDSK :). However, there was a power failure when CHKDSK was at 10%.

Now Windows will load correctly (drive CCan't access secondary drive and power failure during CHKDSK :) but my secondary drive D: is inaccessible. In Computer Management/Disk Management, the drive is shown as RAW.

When I load File Explorer, it seems unresponsive (maybe because it is looking for D: but can't find it).

I have a fairly recent backup of my D: drive and should be able to reformat and reload but I'm not sure this is the solution because File Explorer will not become active. I suspect that the link to the system from D: has been disabled (Terminology????).
    If drive D: was simply RAW, I would have expected File Explorer to load normally and show Drive C: but it won't do this.

When I right click the D: drive in Computer Management/Disk Management, the format option is grayed out. Therefore, I believe this means that I can't format the drive.

If I open a command prompt and attempt to change to drive D:, I get the following error message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

Is there some other way to reformat D: and reload or is there some other issue concerning relinking D: to the system that I should pursue?

dss_cottage, Aug 29, 2016
  3. SFC/DIS/update FAILURES

Seagate software appeared to hang in install, but resides and runs. It detected the internal winchester but did not detect the Barracuda.

I hooked the Barracuda to an old undead Dell Dimension running XP Pro. It went into chkdsk on power up, then hung. A power failure happened on the second try, I think my UPS was overloaded.

I booted to XP, ran chkdsk, and let it run while sleeping. When I got up, chkdsk had closed and the drive was idle. XP did not respond to mouse or keyboard. Windows 10 file explorer can not access it. The head steps, but the explorer hangs. Device mgr.
    can not read the partition data. Seagate For Windows is hanging. It can not find the Barracuda.

BenPowell_748, Aug 29, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Can't access secondary drive and power failure during CHKDSK

Hi, just a pointer: if you have the anniversary update, a number of people experience secondary or external drives being reported as RAW. This is one of the bugs MS is said to be working on. You can research that further, but MS's recommendation for now if you have this problem is to roll back to build 1511 -- but you only have (had?) 10 days in which to do so.

That's assuming your problem is due to that.

This is where disk imaging comes into its own, along with good backup practice - but I'm sure you're aware of that.

[BUG] Windows 10 Anniversary Update Tanked Secondary Data Drive : Windows10
    Windows 10 Anniversary update problems, not recognizing external hdd - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums
    16 Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues How to Fix Them

dalchina, Aug 30, 2016
  5. I have delayed the upgrade to the Anniversary edition so I still have 1511. (My system has the web cam and data on a secondary drive that are reported to be causing problems)

I won't put anyone through the agony of my series of problems but in short, I tried many options to reformat the secondary drive and all failed. I even tried to do a system restore and it didn't work. Everything I tried seemed to make matters worse.

In my ultimate frustration, I decided to do a fresh install of Win 10. That worked and I formatted the secondary drive in the process. Now I have a working Windows and my secondary drive is formatted and accessible.

Now on the the agony of reinstalling all my software!

dsscottage, Aug 30, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    That is a problem with power failures/sudden power loss to a device. To avert that I have all my computers connected to a UPS/Uninterruptible Power Supply. One is a TrippLite and the others are APC.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't access secondary drive and power failure during CHKDSK

1. Can't access secondary drive and power failure during CHKDSK - Similar Threads - Can't access secondary

2. Power failure during Windows reinstallation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power failure during Windows reinstallation: When i was reinstalling Windows, the electricity went off.When i turned pc on,it shows error-"Windows installation cannot proceed. Click ok to restart the installation."When i click ok, the pc restarts again shows this error again. What should i do now? Can i try...
  3. Power failure during Windows reinstallation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power failure during Windows reinstallation: When i was reinstalling Windows, the electricity went off.When i turned pc on,it shows error-"Windows installation cannot proceed. Click ok to restart the installation."When i click ok, the pc restarts again shows this error again. What should i do now? Can i try...
  4. Power failure during Windows reinstallation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. power failure during windows installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    power failure during windows installation: I was doing a reset of my laptop, but during the windows installation process the power was cut off. When tthe power came back on, I got the message that windows instalation cannot be continued and I should press ok to restart the computer. When I do this, the same message...
  6. power failure during windows installation

power failure during windows installation: I was doing a reset of my laptop, but during the windows installation process the power was cut off. When tthe power came back on, I got the message that windows instalation cannot be continued and I should press ok to restart the computer. When I do this, the same message...
  7. power failure during windows installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Power Failure during Windows Installation

Power Failure during Windows Installation: I was busy reinstalling Windows 10 when we had a power failure. Now I'm getting a Install Windows error. 'The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows click 'OK' to restart the computer, and...
  9. Power failure during update installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Power failure during update installation: Restarting my PC to install update 1703, it got about 60% through the process, when - aaaargh - power failure!. The outage only lasted a few seconds, but the damage was done. Restart appeared successful, and everything seems to work, but the "update" screen in "settings"...
  10. Power Failure During Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Power Failure During Update: This question has nagged me since my update to the Creator build on my Desktop. 1. What happens, if during the download of the update, the power fails? 2. Same for if it occurs while installing the update and the screen warns against turning off the computer? I have...