Windows 10: Can't access SSD as "media is write protected"

Discus and support Can't access SSD as "media is write protected" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there. I was looking for a solution to an issue I've been having and came across this forum. Maybe someone could help? I recently had a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wapistwithawisp, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Can't access SSD as "media is write protected"

Hi there. I was looking for a solution to an issue I've been having and came across this forum. Maybe someone could help?

I recently had a few problems with my PC, leading to me replacing and swapping different components. I originally had the SSD as my main drive, having windows 7 OEM installed on it. when I had to replace my motherboard, I couldn't get the SSD to work. So i installed windows 7 on my hard disk and just removed the SSD completely.

Now I have purchased a full copy of windows 10 and a new CPU, and am basically looking to use my SSD as my main drive again. I plugged it back in, and tried to access the SSD in file explorer where i got the error "D:\\ is not accessible. Media is write protected".

I googled the issue, and tried using Command Prompt to reset the readonly in DiskPart, but this still didn't work.

When I look in Disk management, It says everything is OK, showing as healthy. As you may have guessed,I'm really pushing the limits of my knowledge at this point. anyone have any suggestions? I've taken screenshots of everything if that helps?

Can't access SSD as "media is write protected" [​IMG]

:)

wapistwithawisp, Sep 9, 2016

2. N79; can't run " home media " menu

sawatdee krap,

maybe because you havent set any connections for "home media". i think it needs to connect with your computer. you also need to install SimpleCenter's Home Media Server software on your PC

maybe this will help you -

http://europe.nokia.com/A41123203

Message Edited by fring on 23-Nov-2008 03:20 PM

fring---01, Sep 9, 2016
  3. moo09 Win User
    N79; can't run " home media " menu

I'm in Thailand . I just buy N79 , but I have found my phone can run " home media " menu. When I go to " home media " menu it's push back to "connectivity" menu .

When I go to Nokia Care center . They said All N79 was bug as this. Wait to upgrade firmware as now it's already new as 10.046

Please share information with me

moo09, Sep 9, 2016
  4. Adalwar Win User

Can't access SSD as "media is write protected"

That must be a bad joke from MS - "Write Protected", "RAW", "READ-ONLY",- that all the problems a lot of people are facing with W10 Upgrade.
    I believe it is a W10 Problem and any attempt to "repair" it may lead to Data Lost. I lost 1TB of Data on that "russian-game"!
    So, what I suggest you very much is to Roll-Back to your previous OS. Insisting on resolve the issue may lead to Data Loss, as there is no problem with Hardware, definitely the OS is like a bad "Sherlock Holmes" that is seeing a Bandit every where.

Adalwar, Sep 9, 2016
  5. Thanks for Replying dude. I've actually already got copies of all the files i need. I was looking to completely wipe the disks anyway. Do you know how I could do this? Data Loss would be awesome Can't access SSD as "media is write protected" :p haha

EDIT: also, it was an OEM copy of Windows 7 I had. As I have replaced my mobo, I don't think it would be possible to rollback would it?

6. Adalwar Win User
    As with "Wipe Disks" there is a Utility called SDelete from Mark Russinovich at Sysinternals. Very good and easy to use, but be carefull with Drive Letters, it will erase for ever the Data.

About Licenses, it is some how complicated but so far as I can say, the Motherboard is the main Hardware piece that is bound to a License.
    So, if you changed the MB is likely Windows will not accept the Key any longer, will say it is assigned to other computer.
    But there Win 7 Licenses as refurbished around, I was looking for them and probably I will buy one.

Adalwar, Sep 9, 2016
  7. Hmm, I downloaded it, but it doesn't open...

8. Adalwar Win User

It is a Command Line utility.
    You have go to the Folder where it is and open an Elevated Command Prompt.
    Run sdelete /? to see the options. I am using the -z option.
    Be careful with the Drive Letter.

For to wipe the entire Partition , first you have format that partition and then use Sdelete. It will Zeroing all Partition.
    Instead if want to wipe all HDD, you have to use Delete all partitions, and Format Drive and next use Sdelete.

Adalwar, Sep 10, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Download ANY decent Linux Live Distro (Mint is probably the easiest), boot from a USB and change SSD properties to READ/WRITE.

Failing that - try GPARTED on a USB drive and re-format the HDD.

Another possible solution is to attach the SSD via a USB-->SATA connector to another Windows machine and using DISKPART type CLEAN, CREATE Partition Primary, format fs=ntfs,quick.

Make sure you select the right HDD though. (LIST DISK, SELECT DISK nn)

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 10, 2016
  10. Kbird Win User
    There is HDD Low Level Formatter 4.4 too , it is also free for Home Use.

http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-...l-Format-Tool/

However with an SSD it is way quicker ( and better for the SSD) to use the Manufacturer's SECURE ERASE Utility if there is one available ? ( you didn't say brand)

KB.

Kbird, Sep 11, 2016
  11. topgundcp Win User
    Try: Open command prompt and type:
    diskpart
    select disk 1
    clean
    exit

Open Disk Management and initalize it, create partition(s)

topgundcp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't access SSD as "media is write protected" - Similar Threads - Can't access SSD

2. Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Write-Protection Fault on boot SSD: I’ll try to keep this short but honestly there’s a ton to dig into here. Built my current PC last year, have had zero troubles with it. Boot drive is a Samsung Evo 970 1TB running Windows 10. Literally no problems whatsoever until today. I’m watching that Netflix documentary...
  3. The media is write-protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The media is write-protected: Good morning, I have issues removing write-protection from my USB flash drive. It has no hardware switch for enabling/disabling write-protection, • diskpart • list disk• sel disk 2• attrbites disk• Current Read-only State : Yes• attributes disk clear readonly reports "Disk...
  4. The media is write-protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The media is write-protected: Good morning, I have issues removing write-protection from my USB flash drive. It has no hardware switch for enabling/disabling write-protection, • diskpart • list disk• sel disk 2• attrbites disk• Current Read-only State : Yes• attributes disk clear readonly reports "Disk...
  5. this media is write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  6. this media is write protected

this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  7. Error Device media is write-protected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error Device media is write-protected: Plugged a Kingston Data Traveler 3.0 USB Device into an HP Elitebook 8440p running Windows 10 Pro 20H2. Download sp73930.exe; launched the apt, select the option make a bootable USB Received message Error: Device media is wright-protected. [ATTACH] I did not setup wright...
  8. "Media is write protected"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Media is write protected": I was always able to click on an icon and view a photo on my PC. Now this message pops up. Please help. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-is-write-protected/aff97eae-a941-4807-8205-6caea7aea58a"
  9. The media is write protected.

The media is write protected.: I keep getting a strange error when I try to open PNG files in Photos, "The media is write protected." None of the files are read only, and I can edit them in any way I want, it only pops up when I try to open them in Photos. Any way to fix this?...
  10. The media is write protected on internal HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    The media is write protected on internal HDD: After installing an mSata SSD as my main boot drive for Windows 10 Enterprise I can no longer write to the internal HDD. I have checked the read only status in disk part and everything is correct. If I pull the drive from the laptop and insert it into a usb dock I can write...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the media is write protected hdd

2. clone ssd media write protected

3. media is write protected ssd

4. write protection on ssd bluescreen