Windows 10: Can't access Windows shares after 1803 update

Discus and support Can't access Windows shares after 1803 update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two Windows 10 Pro computers on the same home network. Prior to the 1803 update I used to keep them in sync by sharing a folder on one,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by swaldman, Jul 1, 2018.

1. swaldman Win User

Can't access Windows shares after 1803 update

I have two Windows 10 Pro computers on the same home network. Prior to the 1803 update I used to keep them in sync by sharing a folder on one, connecting to it on the other, and using sync software. The update has broken this.

Now I can always ping the other machine by IPv4 address, but most of the time pinging the hostname returns "Ping request could not find host $hostname". Occasionally it does work, and returns an IPv6 address.

So far, so annoying, but I could simply use the IP all the time in UNC paths instead of the hostname. However, even though I can ping the other machine, I cannot connect to the share. Trying to open \192.168.xxx.xxx through Explorer gets me a lengthy pause and then "Windows cannot access \192.168.xxx.xxx" with Error 0x80070035, "The network path was not found.".

How can I share files between the computers now?

Info that may be useful:

• Neither machine has ever had Homegroups enabled.
    • The only firewall present is Windows Firewall. Avast anti-virus is present, with its firewall feature not installed. Disabling Avast does not help. Turning off Windows Firewall does not help. The Incoming Connections troubleshooter is unable to find the problem.
    • I have different usernames on the two PCs. One is a local username, the other is tied to a Microsoft account. I do not get any box which would allow me to enter a username - it appears to be "can't see the PC" rather than "not authenticated".
    • Enabling the "Function Discovery Resource Publication" service, as suggested by some sites, does not help, except that the machines can now see one another under "Network" in explorer. Seeing the other computer does not help with accessing it.
    • Network discoverability is turned on on both, and they are both set to treat this network as a "private" one.
    • I do not want to re-enable SMB 1. I understand that it was removed for good reasons, and that there should be other ways to share files!

Thanks for any advice; this is causing me significant workflow problems, as the only way to move files between two PCs sitting right next to each other, right now, is with a USB stick...

:)

swaldman, Jul 1, 2018
  2. user33331 Win User

Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Jul 1, 2018
  3. DTG1 Win User
    Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

DTG1, Jul 1, 2018
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Jul 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't access Windows shares after 1803 update - Similar Threads - Can't access shares

2. Can't Access A Share in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't Access A Share in Windows 10: I have two computers, both running Windows 10 and both with the same account info Hotmail address and password. I am able to Remote Desktop into my "server" computer using my Hotmail address and password, but am not able to access its shared folder from my "desktop" computer...
  3. Can't Access A Share in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Access A Share in Windows 10: I have two computers, both running Windows 10 and both with the same account info Hotmail address and password. I am able to Remote Desktop into my "server" computer using my Hotmail address and password, but am not able to access its shared folder from my "desktop" computer...
  4. Can't Access A Share in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't access shared printer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access shared printer.: I have a windows 10 PC with a shared printer but every time I want to access the shared printer from other PC it always prompt that cannot connect to printer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-shared-printer/a2f02dd8-32ff-487e-8ecf-54c93365a1ac
  6. Can't access Windows 10 shares

Can't access Windows 10 shares: Hi there. I have a Windows 10 Pro desktop, with several shared folders, for each of which I have configured both my own username and "Everyone" for full access. I have gone through Network sharing and ticked all the boxes that need to be ticked, checked the adaptor settings,...
  7. windows 10 v.1803: Can see a pc but can't access it's shared drives.

windows 10 v.1803: Can see a pc but can't access it's shared drives.: Two pc's with windows 10 v1803, on a private network (both), with "find devices and content" turned on, with file sharing turned on (both for private and all networks), both can see each other, and one of them (let us name it: shared-pc) has three drives shared with full...
  8. Can't access shared computer after update

Can't access shared computer after update: Just did an update on one of my 4 computers in my network. It was 2018-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 (KB4338819) - OS Build 17134.165. As soon as it rebooted, I lost access to one of the computers in the network. I can still access the shared folders of...
  9. Network path not found after 1803 update (Windows file sharing)

Network path not found after 1803 update (Windows file sharing): Hello! I have a home network consisting of 3 desktop PCs and 1 laptop. 3 of these are running Windows 10 1803 right now, 1 PC is running WIndows 7. I just updated 1 PC and 1 laptop to 1803 yesterday, the third one was already on 1803. Since then, I cannot access my older...
  10. 1803 update -- now can't access mail.

in Browsers and Email
    1803 update -- now can't access mail.: Feeling embarrassed to ask as I suspect this might be something really simple. Since updating to 1803 yesterday, I've lost access to all of my email accounts in the Windows Mail app. Every one says "System error" and "Can't get mail". Any advice please? 109348

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the network is not present or started windows 10 1803

2. cant access smb share after 1803 upgrade

3. windows version 1803 does not allow network drive shares

4. cant access network share 1803,
  5. can not access network drive add windows feature windows 10 1803,
  6. cant see windows 7 shared folder after windows 10 1803 update