Windows 10: Can't activate microphone

Discus and support Can't activate microphone in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Bought a simple Audio-Technica mike. No buttons, no software, just a jack to plug in. I plugged it into the rear jack on my motherboard (the correct... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kupuna, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Kupuna Win User

Can't activate microphone

Bought a simple Audio-Technica mike. No buttons, no software, just a jack to plug in. I plugged it into the rear jack on my motherboard (the correct "pink" jack) and I can see it activate the "recording" tab in the sound window.
    I'm trying to communicate with Cortana, but she isn't reacting at all. How can I troubleshoot this situation? I don't see any activity on the vertical volume bar in the recording window. I guess one (noobish ) question is: How do I hear myself or cortana to check this out?

:)

Kupuna, Sep 5, 2016

2. Cortana not working

Cortana seems active but there's no microphone anywhere. I can't "allow" my location. And I can't turn alerts. I can type in a question. Is there a fix?

TF

thomasjfitzsimmons, Sep 5, 2016
  3. Cortana Voice Recognition Windows 10

Cortana says that she can't hear me. So I select to go to microphone setup, but microphone setup says that I haven't got a microphone. Is it maybe not looking in the right place?

The only place I can find an option to turn my microphone on is in Google Gmail. Having turned the microphone on in Gmail, if I then
    without exiting Gmail go to Cortana, she hears me. If I exit Gmail, Cortana no longer hears me.

How do I activate the microphone in Windows 10? None of the microphone setups seem to offer this option.

The question is, how does Gmail offer me the option to activate the microphone, but Windows 10 doesn't?

Many thanks

Ian

IanWhiteBoss, Sep 5, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Try the recording audio troubleshooter at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\Hardware and Sound. You need to set the recording levels. If the recording meter still shows no activity then you may have a faulty microphone or PC hardware fault. It may also be worth reinstalling the sound utilities and drivers for your audio device.

Steve C, Sep 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't activate microphone - Similar Threads - Can't activate microphone

2. Can't activate

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't activate: activation windows edition windows 10 pro activation windows is not activated windows reported that no product key was found on your device. error code: 0xc004f213 activate windows now running a non-genuine copy of windows can put you at greater risk from viruses and other...
  3. microphone is active, but not heard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microphone is active, but not heard: Hello all, this is a bit unusual situation and i searched everywhere without success.Microphone is connected properly, no matter what plugs i use this issue happens front connectors, back connectors, connectors on a logitech keyboard, other microphones with jack connection,...
  4. microphone is active, but not heard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    microphone is active, but not heard: Hello all, this is a bit unusual situation and i searched everywhere without success.Microphone is connected properly, no matter what plugs i use this issue happens front connectors, back connectors, connectors on a logitech keyboard, other microphones with jack connection,...
  5. microphone is active, but not heard

6. Headset Microphone can't be detected

Headset Microphone can't be detected: Hi guys!I've used my headset with a microphone for over 2 years now. About a week ago I noticed that my microphone wasn't working properly, so I bought a new one, sine I wanted to buy a new one anyways. But now Windows cant detect the new microphone too. I've tried to look...
  7. can't activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can't activate: when I try to change my product key and click activate button it says unable to activate windows because you don't have a valid digital license or product key 0x803f7001 what shall I do?????...
  8. Can't unmute microphone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't unmute microphone: The issue looks complicated, so I will try to start from the beginning. I have my external USB camera with built in microphone. Untill recently I used it in my Skype and Zoom conferences with no problems. However couple of days ago I suddenly started to experience problems...
  9. microphone activation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    microphone activation: I am having an emergency I cant figure out if my computer has an internal microphone? I have tele health visits tomorrow and realized I didn't know if I have a microphone...
  10. Microphone can't detect

Microphone can't detect: I already try some methods for setting up my microphone. I can hear it in my headphone when I speak but when I try to set up in the control panel but it always say that "The Wizard could not start". I try to record but it say that I have to set up my microphone. When I check...