Windows 10: Can't activate Windows 10 can't go back to Win 7

Discus and support Can't activate Windows 10 can't go back to Win 7 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a HP Mini 110 (with no CD Drive) which came with Windows 7 starter installed and a product key sticker in the back. After successfully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by thickman, Aug 2, 2015.

1. thickman Win User

Can't activate Windows 10 can't go back to Win 7

I have a HP Mini 110 (with no CD Drive) which came with Windows 7 starter installed and a product key sticker in the back.

After successfully installing windows 10 on another HP Windows 7 laptop and being pleased with it I went to the Microsoft windows 10 media creation tool web page and copied the 32 bit installer onto a flash drive.

Nowhere on the Microsoft page did it say this would only create a fresh install or that my Windows 7 product code would not work for the upgrade.

My HP Mini 110 installed Windows 10 but did not transfer any of my applications.

The installed code asked for my product code and I entered the one from the sticker on the back of the HP Mini and was told it was not a valid code and got the error message code 0xc004f050

I tried to go back to Windows 7

But "Go back to Windows 7" is not in the Recover page of Settings

The directory windows.old is present but I do not know how to restore from it

I do not know how to get back to a Windows 7 install, even if I lost my applications installed, which I rather not do.

In fact I just spent several days at this and reinstalled a complex radio pan adaptor application and I really do not want to do that again and would like to keep my Windows 10 install.

I called Microsoft support and was told to either but a copy of Windows 10 to get a license key (which doesn't seem fair) or reinstall Windows 7 which I do not seem to be able to do at this point.

I believe I used due diligence and followed all instructions presented to me and had no warning I would wind up in my present predicament.

I believe and hope in all fairness Microsoft will help me activate Windows 10 and please issue me a valid product code.

How do I get Microsoft to fix this.
    Or how do I reinstall Win 7 with the recovery image if it is still on the hard drive?

Tim Hickman

:)

thickman, Aug 2, 2015

2. Win 10 Pro deactivated

We can't activated Windows on this device as we can't connect to your organization's activation server. Make sure you're connected to your oganization's network and try again. If you continue haven't problems with activation, contact your organization's
    support person. Error code: 0xC004F074.

I didn't get my pc through an organization. it was an upgrade from Win 7. I have no product key as it was a digital upgrade. I'm running in circles and can't get through to microsoft support. I now have a permanent watermark on my screen saying to activate
    windows.

I have no product key!! But I have one for Win 7. So tempted to go back to Win 7..

monalisabeth32, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Trying to reset PC, after reset Audio device not recognized.

I upgraded from windows 7 but I already installed windows 10 so I can't go back to win 7

NicoleR_979, Aug 2, 2015
  4. AEM
    aem Win User

Just how to you see or not see that the apps are not included after you log onto 10?

5. Alley Cat Win User
    Try contacting HP to see if you can get a Windows 7 restore disk from them.

Alley Cat, Aug 2, 2015
  6. thickman Win User
    Everything is there but only in the windows.old directory. It is 42GB in size. I thought of reinstalling from it but there is no go back to Windows 7 in setup; but I can not find a way to do it.

I used the Microsoft recover personal files troubleshooter (written for Win 8) to get my personal files loaded but not my application programs which I have started to reinstall.

thickman, Aug 2, 2015
  7. thickman Win User
    The HP Mini had no CDROM drive and does not support one.
    They use to sell a recovery thumb drive but it is no longer availble.

thickman, Aug 2, 2015
  8. Borg 386 Win User

I would imagine you have a recovery partition that can be accessed at boot up. See your manufacturers website for instructions to access it. Or you can use the tutorial/methods listed below to reinstall 7.

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums

The tutorial also includes info on making a bootable USB Drive.

Borg 386, Aug 2, 2015
  9. teachermark, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't activate Windows 10 can't go back to Win 7 - Similar Threads - Can't activate can't

2. Can't activate Windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't activate Windows 7: I have been using a Windows 7 disk that was previously sold with a PC and have never been asked to activate it. However, I had to replace the motherboard 3-4 weeks ago and now Microsoft is asking me to activate the product. I don't have a product key that Microsoft is asking...
  3. Can't activate Windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't activate Windows 7: I have been using a Windows 7 disk that was previously sold with a PC and have never been asked to activate it. However, I had to replace the motherboard 3-4 weeks ago and now Microsoft is asking me to activate the product. I don't have a product key that Microsoft is asking...
  4. Can't Activate Secure Boot Windows 11 or Go Back to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Activate Secure Boot Windows 11 or Go Back to Windows 10: So about 2 days ago I updated to Windows 11, so far everything was running fine all games and all apps but once I tried launching the game "VALORANT" it says that I need to have secure boot enabled something that I have been trying to do for some hours now.Can't activate in...
  5. Can't Activate Secure Boot Windows 11 or Go Back to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Activate Secure Boot Windows 11 or Go Back to Windows 10: So about 2 days ago I updated to Windows 11, so far everything was running fine all games and all apps but once I tried launching the game "VALORANT" it says that I need to have secure boot enabled something that I have been trying to do for some hours now.Can't activate in...
  6. Can't go back to windows 7 and i'm stucked on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't go back to windows 7 and i'm stucked on windows 10: so after my dad and mom buyed this pc i have no idea if this just got upgraded to windows 10 or it's literally windows 10 after a few day's i played League of Legends(its already installed in the computer) while i was playing the computer just shuted itself and something...
  7. Ready to go back to win 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Ready to go back to win 7: Well I have Win 10 installed, and want put win 7 back on. I have a Win7 64 bit disc (thanks to ICIT2LOL!) and my system will take 64 bit, is there an option to save all my files pictures videos etc, onto DVD with one click? or do I just 'send to' what I want to save to...
  8. Ready to go back to win 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Ready to go back to win 7: Well I have Win 10 installed, and want put win 7 back on. I have a Win7 64 bit disc (thanks to ICIT2LOL!) and my system will take 64 bit, is there an option to save all my files pictures videos etc, onto DVD with one click? or do I just 'send to' what I want to save to...
  9. Upgrade to Win 10 - Go Back to Win 7 Question

Upgrade to Win 10 - Go Back to Win 7 Question: I had set up a dual boot with Win 7 and clean install of Win 10, with Win 10 on a separate SSD. Never registered Win 10. I removed the Win 10 SSD from my case. Went back to single boot Win 7. Now my question is... Would there be a problem (with Microsoft) if I...
  10. Win 7 to Win 10..back to 7 and back to 10

Win 7 to Win 10..back to 7 and back to 10: *Rolleyes This concerns this Activation error So perhaps I should have waited to see if it would have activated. Long story short.... win 7 (Home premium)was upgraded to win10.. win10 was activated... did a clean install of win10 with a disk i had created from...