Windows 10: can't add or remove tiles from start

Discus and support can't add or remove tiles from start in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there, I have a Surface Pro3 which came with win10 installed (unlike my other SP3 which I upgraded to W10). I just decided to customize my start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kieran28, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Kieran28 Win User

can't add or remove tiles from start

Hi there,
    I have a Surface Pro3 which came with win10 installed (unlike my other SP3 which I upgraded to W10). I just decided to customize my start menu a bit with some live tiles re-arrangement.
    Problem: I can't seem to pin or unpin apps to the tiles section of the start menu. When I right-click (or touch-hold) and select "pin to start" it shows as pinned (in that the option then becomes to unpin) but the tile never shows up with the other tiles.
    Likewise, I can't remove any tiles that are already there.

Somehow the tiles seem to have become locked.

Any help? *Smile
    Thanks!
    Kieran

:)

Kieran28, Jan 11, 2016

2. Cannot unpin items from Start or remove items from Most Used list

When I right-click unwanted tiles in Start and click "Unpin from Start," nothing happens. The unwanted tile stays.

The same happens with the Most Used menu. I right click and choose the "Don't show in this list" option, but nothing happens. The item stays.

Edit to add:

I can't seem to add things to Start either can't add or remove tiles from start :(

Pin to Start doesn't work.

I also cannot add or remove folders from Start through the Settings > Personalization menu. I turn Start options on and off and nothing happens. I also can't get full screen Start to work.

In summary, I cannot customize or change my Start menu whatsoever.

GenevieveJeter, Jan 11, 2016
  3. DarTDM Win User
    "Some settings are controlled by your organisation" error message on trying to change system settings on Windows 10.

Original Title: <No Subject>

I cannot change specific settings from start menu.

I cannot change the location of tiles, cannot add or remove tiles, cannot resize them, can't move them around.

These are settings which I can't change from settings menu in start.

1. Show more tiles option in Settings->Personalization->Start is turned gray i.e. can't be changed.

2. This is written on the top of the page. "Some settings are managed by your organization".

Only setting that i can access is to turn a live tile off by right click on that live tile. Right-click->more->turn live tile off. Nothing else available.

Need Quick Respond Please.

Thx Before

DarTDM, Jan 11, 2016
  4. Kieran28 Win User

Bump!

Pretty please? I'm pretty stumped on this....
    Thanks for any guesses as to what's going on!

Kieran28, Jan 14, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. can't add or remove tiles from start - Similar Threads - can't add remove

2. Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu: I want to remove this either through registry or through GPO so it does not display as a tile. I logged in with local admin credentials and unpinned it but still it appears for other users .I want only Microsoft Edge to appear and not the STORE....
  3. Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu: I want to remove this either through registry or through GPO so it does not display as a tile. I logged in with local admin credentials and unpinned it but still it appears for other users .I want only Microsoft Edge to appear and not the STORE....
  4. Removing Microsoft Store Tile from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Add application to Start menu, but not tiles

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Add application to Start menu, but not tiles: [ATTACH] When you pin an application to the start menu, it also adds the application to the tiles. Like in the picture below https://preview.redd.it/ia2zh6rdk2d61.png?width=1366&format=png&auto=webp&s=026fb361d127c160bb479a84f7a6f4f04d60bb55 But I don't like tiles, so...
  6. Remove a corrupt tile from the W10 start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove a corrupt tile from the W10 start menu: A tile corrupted on the Start menu, and is not responsive to activation. The tile context menu only lists tile sizes and nothing else. I ran sfc /scannow and the system files are all OK. Cleared the IconCache.db as well as the Explorer, in the locations listed below and...
  7. how to add an exe to the start menu as a tile.

in Windows 10 Support
    how to add an exe to the start menu as a tile.: I want to add exe's to the start menu as tiles. This also includes word templates that I have created. 113409
  8. Can't unpin a tile from Start

Can't unpin a tile from Start: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Pro and can't unpin a tile from Start.. someone please??! 55130
  9. Can't add or remove items from start list

Can't add or remove items from start list: The situation is I can't add any item to the "start list', which is the list on the left of the start icons. As far as I've read, it's supposed to be as easy as dragging an icon, but it can't be done I get an "x" when I reach the destination at the left. Strange also, is...
  10. Start Menu (Remove Tiles)

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu (Remove Tiles): Hey all, I beta tested Windows 10 several months back, previous to the version I tested, if you removed all the pined tiles from the start menu, it would look more like the conventional start menu. However in the few version I tested, even if you unpinned all the tiles,...