Windows 10: Can't add shortcuts to start menu

Discus and support Can't add shortcuts to start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I can't pin shortcuts to start menu , i tried drag and drop , but it won't let me. I also don't have a "Start Menu' tab in taskbar properties. [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by cristi2k, Jul 31, 2015.

1. cristi2k Win User

Can't add shortcuts to start menu

I can't pin shortcuts to start menu , i tried drag and drop , but it won't let me. I also don't have a "Start Menu' tab in taskbar properties.

Can't add shortcuts to start menu [​IMG]

:)

cristi2k, Jul 31, 2015
  2. wcc_admin Win User

Pinning Internet Explorer to Start Menu with LayoutModification.xml file

Just in case anyone else arrives here, I found the solution to this at this link:

Customizing the Windows 10 Start Menu and add IE Shortcut during OSD

Basically, you have to add a shortcut to internet explorer in the start menu folders for each machine you are wanting to do this on and pin that shortcut to the start menu

wcc_admin, Jul 31, 2015
  3. #Jersern Win User
    Can't add shortcuts to all apps in start menu

I drop my shortcut into that folder and once again it only appears as a pinned tile in my start menu. It does not go into the all apps drawer. Trying to unpin the shortcut causes it to get deleted.

#Jersern, Jul 31, 2015
  4. Can't add shortcuts to start menu

Neither can I. I want to have all of the programs and folders that I had in Win on my start menu (classic shell).

How to get something like this one?

Dick Jagger, Jul 31, 2015
  5. cristi2k Win User
    That is exactly what I'm tryn to do *Smile

cristi2k, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Yeah!!! me too!

I've been playing around with it for a little while and was at able to get most of the things I want on there!

Dick Jagger, Jul 31, 2015
  7. TheNards Win User
    I too have this different version of the start menu. Its driving me crazy because all the tutorials have this other menu.

TheNards, Jul 31, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member
  9. TheNards Win User
    Sadly, none of those tutorials show why i cant pin things to the left side of my start menu like others can by simply dragging it to the left side. I also don't have a search bar in my start menu like all of the pictures in the tutorials and on most forums.

TheNards, Jul 31, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  11. cristi2k Win User
    Ok i got it . The thing is i was searching on google and , there were many tutorials , so i didn't get it at first why is not working for me . The thing is that the tutorials were from earlier builds i think , and in the final build this was not an option anymore . Ok i ll just have to deal with the blank space there *Smile . Thanks for help

cristi2k, Jul 31, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Jul 31, 2015
  13. Can't add shortcuts to start menu

The left side that is missing is the same as the Start Menu Tiles. Because it has a new interface, instead of a list on the left you have the Start Menu that serves the same functionality. You can pin folders and apps, but you can't pin files like .txt and the like.

OldGuyGeek, Aug 15, 2015
  14. SOHO1 Win User
    So Brink, what you are saying in short is...
    1. Drop shortcuts into the roaming folder
    %appdata%\Microsoft\WIndows\Start Menu\Programs
    This allows the item to appear in the "All Apps" menu, from which you can
    2. drag it from the list to anywhere on the start menu.

Also, if you add a shortcut to that very same directory, it makes it easier to find on a regular basis, along with all your other newly pinned shortcuts.

Thank you, I think I hear angels singing.

SOHO1, Feb 2, 2016
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's another option. Yes. *Smile

Brink, Feb 2, 2016
Thema:

Can't add shortcuts to start menu

1. Can't add shortcuts to start menu - Similar Threads - Can't add shortcuts

2. Document Shortcuts on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Document Shortcuts on Start Menu: I upgraded from 1909 to 20H2. It appears that document shortcuts on startmenu is not longer supported. The shortcuts are still in the StartMenu/Programs folder and function if clicked on directly, but they no longer appear in the start menu and cannot be pinned. I was able...
  3. Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?: Specifically I want to be able to open Visual Studio Code by searching VS Code instead. League of Legends allows me to search "lol" to have the program immediately come to the top, is there any way I can replicate this? submitted by /u/MattHellstrand [link] [comments]...
  4. How to add shortcut into start?

How to add shortcut into start?: When I right click shortcut, "click Pin to Start" is not available for selection. I would like to know on how to add shortcut into start under window 10. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
  5. Removing Start Menu shortcuts

Removing Start Menu shortcuts: Is there a way to remove Built-In application shortcuts from the Start Menu? I don't mean uninstall the application, but just remove its shortcut; shortcuts (examples in red) as seen in the attached picture. 149158
  6. Add a group for app shortcuts on the start menu?

Add a group for app shortcuts on the start menu?: The start menu has groups of apps on the right side, e.g., Productivity, Explore, etc. How do I add a group of my own choosing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-a-group-for-app-shortcuts-on-the-start-menu/a88f905f-d124-4ae8-a862-50aacdc38d71
  7. Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803)

Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803): The previous technique used to add shortcuts from the desktop to Start involved adding shortcuts to C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. This used to cause these shortcuts to appear in the start menu (perhaps under recently add items)...
  8. Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu

Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu: So, I've been trying to add a few things to the app list in the start menu for a while now. Every site I've gone to says to put the shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". I have done that multiple times, checked to make sure the shortcuts were pointed...
  9. Can't click on Start Menu shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click on Start Menu shortcuts: So I'm having this weird bug where I can't click any of my start menu shortcuts when I search up the program (typing) I'm trying to execute but if I manually look for it (using scroll wheel) and clicking on the shortcut the program will execute? I've tried rebuilding my...
  10. Can you not add shortcuts to the quicklinks area of the start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can you not add shortcuts to the quicklinks area of the start menu?: Hi. Back in 7, my start menu had stuff pinned to it. I could click, say, Visual Studio and a submenu would slide out with recently opened projects on it so I could not only open it, but open a specific project. I pinned VS to my Start Menu, but it doesn't have that...