Windows 10: Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop

Discus and support Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have tried everything to associate the .ai file to illustrator. All my .ai files are associated with Acrobat rt click - open with - choose another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dbarttx, Aug 19, 2018.

1. dbarttx Win User

Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop

I have tried everything to associate the .ai file to illustrator. All my .ai files are associated with Acrobat

• rt click - open with - choose another app - more apps - look for another app on the pc
      • I navigate to Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CC 2018/Support Files/Contents/Windows and then select Illustrator.exe file
      • Error Message: This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

• I go to the Default Apps setting page and click on Apps & Features (both Illustrator CC 2018 and Photoshop CC 2018 are listed there)
      • No options here, but to uninstall so I go back to Default Apps

• I select Choose default apps by file type
      • I scroll down to .ai (which should be an Illustrator file) and it has associated it with Adobe Acrobat

Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop 73111840-6a4c-4533-a525-689eb7bc275c?upload=true.jpg

Screen clipping taken: 8/19/2018 9:34 AM

• When I click on the Adobe Acrobat icon it only gave me two options -- Acrobat and to look for an App in the Store

• I contacted Adobe Support and they told me this is a Windows OS problem.

This is incredibly frustrating. While I know I can open the file using the program the file itself will not import properly into other CC programs.

:)

dbarttx, Aug 19, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Aug 19, 2018
  3. Recovering corrupted PSD file in Photoshop?

You need to use professional recovery software
    Make use of next one Photoshop Fix Toolbox
    Software restores .psd files any version of Adobe Photoshop.

jakefirs68, Aug 19, 2018
  4. Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop

Open a PSD file

Windows 10. I'm using the Set Default Programs item from the Default Programs control panel item to set the default associations for certain file types (you get a list of possible associations for the selected
    program from which you can pick whichever associations you want).

However, the list seems rather short compared to all the programs I have installed and somewhat arbitrary. I need to open .psd file using adobe photoshop express, but it does not appear on the list. The
    default program assigned is Paint- which is unable to open the file type. The only program option it gives me are Internet Explorer, Epson Monitor (related to my printer) or search windows store (which is a useless option). Where do I go from here?

SandyHarris1, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop

1. Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop - Similar Threads - Can't associate file

2. BSOD when using Photoshop and Illustrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when using Photoshop and Illustrator: When the new year came, I took the time to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop to get out of the Insider Builds. Fast forward a few weeks later, I get a BSOD while playing CS:GO. The error was Video_TDR_Failure caused by nvlddmkm.sys. Seeing that the driver is...
  3. File Association

in Windows 10 Support
    File Association: Please help, I have .fls files needed for work that are now associated as IE, need help fast. 124860
  4. Can't set file association for php files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't set file association for php files: Using Windows 10, I want to set a file association for php files to a particular application, but when I do it is not stored. Example 1: In File Explorer I right click on the file and choose "Open with". I select the application I want to use and make sure that the "Always...
  5. Can't change file association for .jpg .png . jpeg to open with Photoshop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change file association for .jpg .png . jpeg to open with Photoshop: Hello Can't change file association for .jpg .png . jpeg to open with Photoshop The old association returns Always the files association with Paint 3D or Photos in Win10 [ATTACH] [ATTACH] It does not happen in both ways Thank you...
  6. Can't keep file associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't keep file associations: I'm pretty sure this is a 1809 shenanigan but I'll post it anyway. I just made a clean install of Win10 and since the reinstall I can't make the file associations "stick". When I try to open a file that has no association, I can select the program I want to open it with, but...
  7. Can't keep file associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't keep file associations: I'm pretty sure this is a 1809 shenanigan but I'll post it anyway. I just made a clean install of Win10 and since the reinstall I can't make the file associations "stick". When I try to open a file that has no association, I can select the program I want to open it with, but...
  8. Can't make zip file association

Can't make zip file association: In some magical way that Windows has, my zip files have become associated with Photoshop?????????? I cannot figuer out how to assign a zip association. Though there's a list of probably 50 .z## file types which i have NONE. There is no .zip association which i have many....
  9. Can't make zip file association

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't make zip file association: In some magical way that Windows has, my zip files have become associated with Photoshop?????????? I cannot figuer out how to assign a zip association. Though there's a list of probably 50 .z## file types which i have NONE. There is no .zip association which i have many....
  10. File Association

File Association: I use MS Office 2003 with Frontpage which works well in Win and does all I need. How can I associate .html files to open with Frontpage. In Control Panel - set default programs it dos not show Frontpage as an option. In Control Panel set File associations - it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows illustrator file to photoshop

2. can you up date psd files in illustrator

3. can open ai file in photoshop but not illustrator

4. windows 10 cannot associate psd with photoshop,
  5. can not set illustrator as default for ai files,
  6. windows psd file only open in illustrator