Windows 10: Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop

Discus and support Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have tried everything to associate the .ai file to illustrator. All my .ai files are associated with Acrobat rt click - open with - choose another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by dbarttx, Aug 19, 2018.

1. dbarttx Win User

Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop

I have tried everything to associate the .ai file to illustrator. All my .ai files are associated with Acrobat

• rt click - open with - choose another app - more apps - look for another app on the pc
      • I navigate to Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CC 2018/Support Files/Contents/Windows and then select Illustrator.exe file
      • Error Message: This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page.

• I go to the Default Apps setting page and click on Apps & Features (both Illustrator CC 2018 and Photoshop CC 2018 are listed there)
      • No options here, but to uninstall so I go back to Default Apps

• I select Choose default apps by file type
      • I scroll down to .ai (which should be an Illustrator file) and it has associated it with Adobe Acrobat

Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop 73111840-6a4c-4533-a525-689eb7bc275c?upload=true.jpg

Screen clipping taken: 8/19/2018 9:34 AM

• When I click on the Adobe Acrobat icon it only gave me two options -- Acrobat and to look for an App in the Store

• I contacted Adobe Support and they told me this is a Windows OS problem.

This is incredibly frustrating. While I know I can open the file using the program the file itself will not import properly into other CC programs.

:)

dbarttx, Aug 19, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Aug 19, 2018
  3. Recovering corrupted PSD file in Photoshop?

You need to use professional recovery software
    Make use of next one Photoshop Fix Toolbox
    Software restores .psd files any version of Adobe Photoshop.

jakefirs68, Aug 19, 2018
  4. Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop

Open a PSD file

Windows 10. I'm using the Set Default Programs item from the Default Programs control panel item to set the default associations for certain file types (you get a list of possible associations for the selected
    program from which you can pick whichever associations you want).

However, the list seems rather short compared to all the programs I have installed and somewhat arbitrary. I need to open .psd file using adobe photoshop express, but it does not appear on the list. The
    default program assigned is Paint- which is unable to open the file type. The only program option it gives me are Internet Explorer, Epson Monitor (related to my printer) or search windows store (which is a useless option). Where do I go from here?

SandyHarris1, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop

1. Can't associate .ai file to Illustrator or .psd file to photoshop - Similar Threads - Can't associate file

2. Gray Rectangle on psd files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gray Rectangle on psd files: I dont know whats going on but my psd files now have a gray rectangle over them.It dissappears when i make the icons smaller but they werent like this before.This only happens with psd files.Whats going on, how can i fix this....
  3. Gray Rectangle on psd files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gray Rectangle on psd files: I dont know whats going on but my psd files now have a gray rectangle over them.It dissappears when i make the icons smaller but they werent like this before.This only happens with psd files.Whats going on, how can i fix this....
  4. Gray Rectangle on psd files

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files: When I go to set default apps, under .ai files it only lets me choose InDesign and Photoshop, or choose a program from the Windows Store. Where is the option to find an .exe file manually to set default apps? I'm on the 20H2 update. submitted by /u/Merman101 [link]...
  6. PSD file format support

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PSD file format support: hi you know this file format PSD is very important for Photoshopers, so please support it. thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/psd-file-format-support/bba472e1-0179-46f5-8d19-4a437cc8afc5
  7. Can't open Photoshop CS6 ".PSD" file, "Open" Button is greyed out in the open menu for...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open Photoshop CS6 ".PSD" file, "Open" Button is greyed out in the open menu for...: I need help, I went to try and open a file containing what I need for a project, but it will not open! I have tried to double click it, right clicking it but I have no success, even the open button is greyed out! I notice that there is a small "X" on the psd file, too....
  8. BSOD when using Photoshop and Illustrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when using Photoshop and Illustrator: When the new year came, I took the time to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop to get out of the Insider Builds. Fast forward a few weeks later, I get a BSOD while playing CS:GO. The error was Video_TDR_Failure caused by nvlddmkm.sys. Seeing that the driver is...
  9. Can't change file association for .jpg .png . jpeg to open with Photoshop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change file association for .jpg .png . jpeg to open with Photoshop: Hello Can't change file association for .jpg .png . jpeg to open with Photoshop The old association returns Always the files association with Paint 3D or Photos in Win10 [ATTACH] [ATTACH] It does not happen in both ways Thank you...
  10. Can't keep file associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't keep file associations: I'm pretty sure this is a 1809 shenanigan but I'll post it anyway. I just made a clean install of Win10 and since the reinstall I can't make the file associations "stick". When I try to open a file that has no association, I can select the program I want to open it with, but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows illustrator file to photoshop

2. can you up date psd files in illustrator

3. can open ai file in photoshop but not illustrator

4. windows 10 cannot associate psd with photoshop,
  5. can not set illustrator as default for ai files,
  6. windows psd file only open in illustrator