Windows 10: Can't backup a specific file

Discus and support Can't backup a specific file in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I just bought a WD My Passport Ultra and it comes with a copy of WD Backup. Never using backup software I decided to give it a try and see what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by xpac5896, Jan 27, 2016.

1. xpac5896 Win User

Can't backup a specific file

I just bought a WD My Passport Ultra and it comes with a copy of WD Backup. Never using backup software I decided to give it a try and see what happens. I had no problems at all until I ended up with a message "These files failed to back up: UPPS.bin, 15.77kb". so I decided to try and find the file, which I found. The question is does anybody know what this file does and is it necessary to backup? Probably most of you know where this file is but for those who don't you can find the file at: C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UPPS\UPPS.bin. Thanx in advance.

:)

xpac5896, Jan 27, 2016
  2. singhnsk Win User

Asha 311 camera sound ON/OFF solution.

It won't. Backup files are specific to each phone and can't be restored on another.

Sadly i don't have a 305 to perform a similar job Can't backup a specific file :(

singhnsk, Jan 27, 2016
  3. Deleting specific files from Backup File History

The article does not address the question I posed.

CraigClose, Jan 27, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

Did some checking and it looks as if others have the same issue. THIS link was from the WD forum, however there was no fix indicated. One person posted the following:

5. xpac5896 Win User
    I read the same thing. However I contacted Microsoft and according to their answer desk the guy could not pinpoint what's really the main function of the file. According to his resources it's not a critical file seeing as how it's under C:\Users\youraccount" so it could be account specific. I did some other checking using Properties and clicking on the ADVANCED button. It looks as though it has something to do with PERMISSIONS. I'm guessing that when you install

Can't backup a specific file [​IMG]

Can't backup a specific file [​IMG]

Windows (I don't know if it's in all Windows) and you create your account, this file is generated. Above is some some screen shots I took of the file and you might want to compare the two to see if there's any difference. I just thought of something and I don't know if it will work but you could copy and paste the file where it belongs, just a thought. (sorry about that, I had my insertion point in the wrong place)

xpac5896, Jan 27, 2016
  6. xpac5896 Win User
    Just to let you know I just copied and pasted the UPPS file folder and file to My Backups, piece of cake. The only thing I don't know is if the file changes at any time. Now that I have the file and folder on My Backups, will it treat it as if it was backed up to begin with and just back it up? Guess I'm going to find out cause I'm going to try it right now. I'll let you know what happens

xpac5896, Jan 27, 2016
  7. xpac5896 Win User
    Even though I had copied and pasted the file in the correct file path, WD Backup will not copy that file. I do have another Back up program on my computer and I can see if that will back up all the files, the problem could be inherent to WD Back up, I don' know but again I'm going to see if the other program does the same thing. Back as soon as I can.

xpac5896, Jan 27, 2016
  8. xpac5896 Win User

Well, I just made a back up of just the user files using another companies software, I even checked the files to make sure the UPPS.bin file was there, and it worked just fine, no errors. So the only conclusion is that it's a problem with WD Backup, sorry 'bout that WD.

xpac5896, Jan 28, 2016
  9. xpac5896 Win User
    Guess I solved my own problem *Smile

xpac5896, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't backup a specific file - Similar Threads - Can't backup specific

2. Can't access my backup file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access my backup file: So I just resetting my windows with clean install, before that I backup my files that encrypted to removable disk. When I want to move it to my new windows, it says that I don't have the permission also I can't open it. Then I check the properties > Sharing I found "<Unknown...
  3. Can't access my backup file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access my backup file: So I just resetting my windows with clean install, before that I backup my files that encrypted to removable disk. When I want to move it to my new windows, it says that I don't have the permission also I can't open it. Then I check the properties > Sharing I found "<Unknown...
  4. Backup drive-can't get files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup drive-can't get files: I copied files onto Scan Disk with Surface Windows 10, trying to get backup files off Scan Disk using Windows 11. Cannot see the files on Scan Disk.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-drive-cant-get-files/50c24504-4e7a-4de0-9c8b-a9ddc3a01214
  5. Backup drive-can't get files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup drive-can't get files: I copied files onto Scan Disk with Surface Windows 10, trying to get backup files off Scan Disk using Windows 11. Cannot see the files on Scan Disk.Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-drive-cant-get-files/50c24504-4e7a-4de0-9c8b-a9ddc3a01214
  6. Question about Backups (Specifically Macrium)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Backups (Specifically Macrium): So I just started using macrium and I’m curious about something I installed it on my windows disk and backed up that entire disk onto an external hard drive and have created a usb rescue for it but I’m not sure about something... I know you can restore it through the usb or...
  7. Can't download a specific file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't download a specific file: I try to download a file and it says "network error". I thought its chrome problem, but tried on Edge and it failed there too. Other files can be downloaded. This is a single PDF file that doesn't work. submitted by /u/gitrikt [link] [comments]...
  8. Can't see backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't see backup files: I'm running Windows 10 and using Windows Backup. It's set to back up to a Toshiba external drive. It says that it's backing up files every day. When I open the Toshiba drive I see no Windows backup files. I have it set to show hidden files. I am the administrator. I...
  9. Can't Access Specific Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access Specific Files: So I was trying to get rid of files that I don't need on my computer anymore because my C drive didn't have a lot of space left. I opened up Apps And Features from WIN+X menu and uninstalled a couple files. I had a file called "FileZilla" installed which I wanted to...
  10. How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to add specific folders to "Backup - File History"?: I can't backup any specific folders in my Documents folder unless the Documents folder itself is backed up. Otherwise trying to add them does nothing. Adding the Documents folder to the backup list causes my other folders to appear on the list. Why is this? Am I expected to...