Windows 10: Can't boot after Creator's Update

Discus and support Can't boot after Creator's Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm not sure what happened but few hours after the update, I could no longer boot the laptop. The displayed message is "reboot and select proper boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dsmith888, Dec 8, 2017.

1. dsmith888 Win User

Can't boot after Creator's Update

I'm not sure what happened but few hours after the update, I could no longer boot the laptop. The displayed message is "reboot and select proper boot device". I am able to enter setup and confirm it is UEFI boot and the hard disk is listed. I am also able to boot from USB and run Kyhi's rescue disk listed elsewhere in this forum. Not sure how to fix this. Your suggestions are appreciated. Here is an image of my disk partitions:

Can't boot after Creator's Update [​IMG]

:)

dsmith888, Dec 8, 2017
  2. henry1172 Win User

windows 10 creators update

i updated to windows 10 creators, now my keyboard or mouse won't work. they only work in the bios mode. after turning my computer on and off five or six times, it goes into a repair mode, after a while comes up can't repair. i tried reset,restore and recover,
    all the same thing. the computer boots up ok, but with no mouse or keyboard, can't get on internet, open programs, ete. do i need to reinstall windows 10 or creators update or what. help, help.

henry1172, Dec 8, 2017
  3. cpgeevan Win User
    Windows-10 Creators Update. v1703 Loss of Internet Access

James de Vore, thanks!

Yesterday, I tried again to install the Creators Update using the Update Assistant. Windows gets upgraded to 1703. However like before, the Internet access failed after the Creators Update was completed.

Had to roll back to 1607. To do all this it took more than eight hours! Very disappointing.

Can't understand how it is possible to run the Update Assistant after uninstalling the Realtek PCIe gbe (LAN) and Dell Wireless 1703 802 drivers, because the updates have to be downloaded from the Internet.

After the Creators Update completed 'successfully' ending with lack of Internet access, I uninstalled Realtek PCIe gbe and Dell Wireless 1703 802 and re-booted. The drivers were automatically restored after reboot, but the problem of not getting Internet
    access couldn't be resolved.

After all that, the only option was to roll back.

cpgeevan, Dec 8, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

On Kyhi's Recovery Drive is Macrium Reflect. Run Macrium Reflect and on the restore menu is a utility to Fix Winodws boot problems. Run that utility.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2017
  5. dsmith888 Win User
    I tried that and selected "Windows 10" But the next click indicated no ACTIVE partition.

dsmith888, Dec 8, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You probably did not boot Kyhi's Recovery Drive in UEFI mode. On the boot menu you should see the USB flash drive listed twice, make sure to select the entry that has UEFI in front of it.

You can delete the existing EFI System partition and create a new one manually. From your screenshot, delete 100 MB FAT32 partition using the partition assistant program. It will warn you about deleting the system partition and the computer not booting, just accept the warning. Then open a command prompt and run the following commands:

diskpart
    select disk 0
    create part efi
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign letter=t
    exit
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s T: /f ALL
    exit

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2017
  7. dsmith888 Win User
    I don't see an option on boot menu for seeing that USB drive twice. But when I run Macrium Reflect it indicates [UEFI] at the end of the title bar so perhaps it's running in UEFI mode?

I went ahead and deleted the EFI partition, then 'applied' the changes in partition assistant program. I then open a command prompt and started the sequence you listed. When I get to the "format fs=fat32 quick" (also tried all uppercase letters), it indicates "DiskPart has encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect. See the system Event Log for more info." I don't know where that log might be. Another piece of data, the type of filesystem is noted as RAW when I view it in diskpart using "list vol". This was also the case even before I deleted the partition. As seen from my initial post it is listed at FAT32 when using the partition assistant program.

dsmith888, Dec 8, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

K. Try deleting the same partition in partition assistant. Then command prompt. Then:

diskpart
    select disk 0
    create part pri
    format fs=fat32 quick
    assign letter=t
    exit
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s T: /f ALL
    exit

The difference is in the create part command.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2017
  9. dsmith888 Win User
    I got the exact same failure at the "format fs=fat32 quick" step.

I noticed partition assistant had a format command so I tried that command with parameters FAT32 and default size of 1024 and it seemed to work. I then proceeded with your additional commands making sure I selected disk 0 and the correct volume in diskpart . I made progress, I attempted to boot from my hard disk and now see the windows spinning dots for long time ( 20-30minutes). When it finally finished I get a blue screen with a stop code: Bad system configuration info. Tried to boot again and got a blue screen with error code : c0000001. When I look at the disk partition info again, I do not see that recreated FAT32 partition marked as EFI, it only has the GPT flag set. Should I be concerned? I did try the Macrium fix boot command again and results are still the same ie "no active partition".

dsmith888, Dec 8, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Go back into diskpart and select the fat32 volume. Then:
    set id=c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b

That will flag the fat32 partition as an EFI system partition. It's starting to sound like the Windows installation itself is corrupted, though, and you are probably looking at backing up the data you want to save and doing a clean install.

On a UEFI computer system, there is no active partition. And the disk should be partitioned as GPT, which is impossible to mark a partition as active on.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2017
  11. dsmith888 Win User
    Thanks NavyLCDR . That id set the EFI flag. I did try further attempts to recover using dism but finally gave up and did a clean install. Appreciate your time and all your help.

dsmith888, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't boot after Creator's Update - Similar Threads - Can't boot Creator's

2. Can't boot after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot after update: Last night I tried to update my PC. I selected "update and shut down" and left the computer. When I returned much later it appeared frozen so I turned the PC off.The PC is now unable to boot and stuck on the below screen.By restarting I can force the PC to enter automatic...
  3. Programs autostart after boot in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs autostart after boot in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: Hi, how can I make sure programs that are open before shutting down my computer are not re-opened after re-boot? I want a clean system after reboot. kind regards...
  4. After Fall Creators Update, boot sequence has been corrupted

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    After Fall Creators Update, boot sequence has been corrupted: After applying the Fall Creators Update, booting my PC shows an old desktop screen with OneDrive asking if I want to save all my screenshots to OneDrive. Selecting "No Thanks" or "Ask Me Later" or "Not Now", displays the login prompt, with the old desktop display in the...
  5. BSOD on boot after Creator update, error 0xc000000f

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD on boot after Creator update, error 0xc000000f: I have a dell xps 14 z laptop. It originally came with windows 7. I took advantage of the free windows 10 upgrade when it came out a while ago. Laptop was running well until I did a large windows 10 update (I believe it was the creator update) a few days ago. Immediately...
  6. Can't connect to internet after installing Creators Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to internet after installing Creators Update: It took about 3 hrs in install. After PC restarted it showed error message indicating cable wasn't connected (which it was) Could NOT uninstall network adapter drivers. Tried to restart with firewall off. Do I have to uninstall anti-virus program for this...
  7. Can't install language pack after Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't install language pack after Creators Update: Only issue i have with Creators Update is installation of English (GB) language pack installed on one of my PC's but failed on the other PC. Tried every workaround i could find on here and on Google, but still fails. 82727
  8. After Creators Update - Won't boot with graphics card driver installed

After Creators Update - Won't boot with graphics card driver installed: As the title suggests, I allowed the creators update to install itself yesterday and now the computer will get stuck whilst booting. I took the graphics card out and used the onboard graphics and it then booted fine. Uninstalled the graphics drivers and rebooted with graphics...
  9. Boot Loop after the Windows 10 Creators Update

Boot Loop after the Windows 10 Creators Update: Hi, greetings all from Argentina. I upgraded my laptop to the new Windows build, and now I can't boot to Windows, it keeps restarting when the Windows logo is displayed. I tried to repair the boot from the USB recovery prompt with bootrec /fixboot and bcdboot c:\Windows /l...
  10. Myriad of issues after Creator update

in Windows 10 Support
    Myriad of issues after Creator update: Hey folks, I have been having some rather annoying issued as of installing the Creator update. These issues include: -Incredibly slow boot time -Disk usage maxing out whenever a program is launched -Incredibly slow browser speeds (Using Waterfox. Chrome seems to function...