Windows 10: Can't Boot (Critical Process Died)

Discus and support Can't Boot (Critical Process Died) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; getting the above error after 3 fresh windows 10 installs, at various stages after the install. all seemed well for hours. i had no viruses. i tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jimlau, Aug 13, 2017.

1. jimlau Win User

Can't Boot (Critical Process Died)

getting the above error after 3 fresh windows 10 installs, at various stages after the install. all seemed well for hours.

i had no viruses. i tried to reboot in all the offered manners (e.g. safe boot, debug, etc) but could never re-boot.

any idea why this is happened at various times?

thanks.

(i have an SSD, Intel i7 6600, MSI Z170A Gaming M3 motherboard, W10 Pro)

:)

jimlau, Aug 13, 2017
  2. ser1bks Win User

Boot a Machine with stop code

I have a stop code: Critical Process Died. I cannot boot the ma any ideas?

ser1bks, Aug 13, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Aug 13, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello jimlau,

There is a lot we can look at if you provide the files as requested in the instructions at the top of this page.

philc43, Aug 13, 2017
  5. jimlau Win User
    I cannot boot, so I cannot get any more info.

jimlau, Aug 13, 2017
  6. philc43 Win User
    OK, I thought there were still times when it was working OK but see that it is only after a new install. In this case you will have to create a bootable USB drive or disk and then see if you can get into your system that way. A C:\Windows\memory.dmp file would be a useful start.

Use this tutorial to create a disk: Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

philc43, Aug 13, 2017
  7. jimlau Win User
    ok, thanks.

1 thing - i don't have the driver cd, so i downloaded ones from the support page, but may not have had them all installed, if that is relevant.

jimlau, Aug 13, 2017
  8. philc43 Win User

If you are referring to the motherboard drivers then usually W10 when it installs will find ones that work. The first thing to check after a clean install is the Device Manager and it will show any devices that still need drivers. Getting them from the MSI support page is the best way.

philc43, Aug 13, 2017
  9. jimlau Win User
    All devices were recognized and functioning (I only have a DVD drive and second SSD). So would the drivers likely not be the problem?

jimlau, Aug 13, 2017
  10. philc43 Win User
    Please describe as fully as possible the sequence of events before you get the crash. What software was installed after you did the clean install of W10.

philc43, Aug 13, 2017
  11. jimlau Win User
    I did things in different orders, but added:
    Windows Live Mail
    Deskbot and Text to Speech
    Firefox
    McAfee

jimlau, Aug 13, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    1) What was happening to the computer that you recently made operating system changes?
    2) Was the most recent operating system before the recent changes and problems (factory install; prior clean install vs upgrade from windows 7 or 8.1)
    3) What is the age of the computer and hardware?
    4) Was windows 10 ever working on the computer? Or were the recent issues related to upgrade problems?
    5) Have you tried to boot to windows recovery or the windows advanced troubleshooting menu?
    If this has not yet been attempted please try these steps:
    6) power on the computer and as soon as you see the Microsoft icon power off
    7) power on again and as soon as you see the Microsoft icon power off
    8) power on again
    On the second or third time you should see "diagnosing your PC" with circulating dots.
    This should advance to the windows recovery or the windows advanced troubleshooting menu.
    Once in this menu you should see the following options:
    a) reset with save files
    b) reset with remove files
    c) restore
    d) startup options
    e) startup repair
    f) command prompt

9) Are your files backed up to where you can perform a clean install (delete partitions, format drive, make unallocated drive, reinstall new windows 10 version 1703 operating system)?
    10) Had you made a backup image?
    11) what is the history of malware before the most recent operating system changes?
    12) please explain what you mean by fresh windows 10 installs: does that mean a reset, restore, or did you delete partitions or format the drive?
    13) what information is there about the condition of the drive? Had you ran any tests on the drive?
    14) were you having any chkdsk commands automatically run ?
    15) had you created yet a bootable windows 10 iso?

zbook, Aug 13, 2017
  13. jimlau Win User

i deleted the drive before installing windows 10 from an ISO. the same W10 that was working before. Yes, saved all my files so could re-install once W10 was.

I had messed up the BIOS selection and had to reset the BIOS back to original and re-install W10.

i booted in all those ways you listed, but nothing worked. diagnostics didn't work.

i did not test the SSD. what['s the best way? CHDSK?

i had no malware.

computer is 6 months old.

jimlau, Aug 13, 2017
  14. zbook New Member
    Were you overclocking?
    Did the booting problem occur when the bios was reset? or when you performed a clean install? or were both done at the same time?

1) follow the step that philc43 typed in post #4
    2) also create a bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10
    3) other options if you have additional flash drives are:
    a) create a bootable Ubuntu drive
    b) create a Memtest86+ drive: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

zbook, Aug 13, 2017
  15. philc43 Win User
    Please can you fill in as many details as possible about you system in the system spec area of your profile.

If you can ensure your PC has the most up to date BIOS (you can usually update the BIOS from within the BIOS menus) before you try to recover or re-install it might help.

philc43, Aug 13, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't Boot (Critical Process Died) - Similar Threads - Can't Boot Critical

2. Critical process died boot loop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Critical process died boot loop: Hi guys, i just have this bsod everytime i booted to my windows 64bit os+some ram issues that i fixed by removing 1 stick and wont even boot to safe modeI fixed the issue by booting to my 32 bit system via dualboot but still any thoughts about my problemIt boots normally...
  3. CRITICAL PROCESS DIED CANNOT BOOT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CRITICAL PROCESS DIED CANNOT BOOT: So I got this error yesterday and Ive tried EVERYTHING and nothing is working. I don't know what to do and saying all the things I tried would make this thread endless. I'm using a desktop and I have no access to the hone screen and I cannot boot into safe mode...
  4. Unable to boot - "critical process died"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to boot - "critical process died": Yesterday i had a BSOD with a driver problem. It would get to the desktop and each time give a "exception not handled" BSOD a few seconds after getting to desktop. I was able to boot into safe mode fine though, so uninstalled my graphics drivers. The problem still carried on,...
  5. Critical Process Died

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Critical Process Died: So I recently got this, and and it would restart the computer, but I’d turn it off and on before it could restart so it would go back to my main screen, but today I just let it go all the way through and now it’s making me reinstall windows 10 with the product key. It’s been...
  6. Critical Process Died

Critical Process Died: I can't start the computer, I always get the blue screen with the stop code critical process died. I tried restoring the system but it asked to turn on protection for the disk. I tried to do so through commands (net start vss, rstrui) and even though I was allowed to choose a...
  7. Critical process died

Critical process died: Showing blue screen error in which critical process died also windows 10 not startup or boot showing again and again blue screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-process-died/1c0f81cd-d8d9-4558-9e22-a8abdda06e8b
  8. Critical Process Died

Critical Process Died: Link to my minidumps folder According to WhoCrashed this happened: On Sat 9/26/2020 3:27:15 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\092620-13687-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe...
  9. Critical Process Died

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Critical Process Died: On 06-02-2020 yesterday i cleaned my files and windows moved everything to One Drive. This morning I noticed all of my icons on my desktop had changed to the Internet Explorer icon. I followed numerous steps to resolve my issue and none worked. One of the steps had me...
  10. Critical process died

Critical process died: I receive the issue Critical process died after each booting. I can not roll back to the restore point because I get the same error. The Safe Mode didn’t help either https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-process-died/4cbc9ee9-0a1b-4c14-a983-1881d5d2e2ef

Users found this page by searching for:

1. critical process died bootres.dll