Windows 10: Can't boot into Windows after last 1803 cumulative update (as of 8/24)

Discus and support Can't boot into Windows after last 1803 cumulative update (as of 8/24) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The current cumulative update is causing my system to be unable to boot into Windows. I've confirmed that the problem does not occur until I reboot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sre.bmi, Aug 24, 2018.

1. sre.bmi Win User

Can't boot into Windows after last 1803 cumulative update (as of 8/24)

The current cumulative update is causing my system to be unable to boot into Windows. I've confirmed that the problem does not occur until I reboot after the update is applied. This is on Win 10 Pro.

Fortunately, I am able to restore my computer back into a working state by using a Windows Server 2016 Essentials backup image. Immediately after the restore, the computer works again. Apply the 1803 cumulative update only, reboot, and it fails to load Windows.

When it fails, I'm stuck at the logo screen (an Asus logo in my case) with the spinning dots. The dots will spin for a short amount of time, then will freeze. Once frozen, the reset button is unresponsive - so whatever it is, it's causing things to crash pretty badly.

Not sure if this helps, but the diagnostic LED on my motherboard reads AA when this happens. This indicates that this is in the boot phase after the AHCI handoff.

After a few reboots I end up in an endless automatic repair loop. I went to the command prompt to pull up the log file and it says that bootres.dll is corrupt.

Not sure what exactly is causing this, but I am able to consistently reproduce it.

So a few questions:

1. Is there a fix so I can successfully apply the update?
    2. Is Microsoft aware of this?
    3. Anything that I can do to help fix it?
    4. Or do I just restore and refrain from ever updating Windows again and hope that a new update is released later that doesn't have this issue?

Thanks.

:)

sre.bmi, Aug 24, 2018
  2. sre.bmi Win User

1. Is there a fix so I can successfully apply the update?
    2. Is Microsoft aware of this?
    3. Anything that I can do to help fix it?
    4. Or do I just restore and refrain from ever updating Windows again and hope that a new update is released later that doesn't have this issue?
    Thanks.

sre.bmi, Aug 28, 2018
  3. user33331 Win User
    Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Aug 28, 2018
  4. Can't boot into Windows after last 1803 cumulative update (as of 8/24)

Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, Aug 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't boot into Windows after last 1803 cumulative update (as of 8/24) - Similar Threads - Can't boot last

2. Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.: After the last update I was having constant usb device errors. One was for a logitech camera but the others I believe were for a card reader installed in my case. I tried disabling the devices but I kept getting the errors. I also disabled USB root hub because I saw a...
  3. Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't boot, not even in safe mode after last update.: After the last update I was having constant usb device errors. One was for a logitech camera but the others I believe were for a card reader installed in my case. I tried disabling the devices but I kept getting the errors. I also disabled USB root hub because I saw a...
  4. no audio interface driver after last update 3/13/24

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no audio interface driver after last update 3/13/24: Win11 update 3/13/24 somehow prevents the pc from recognizing AMS-22 driver; tried to delete update but failed after restart; know this has something to do with security but my audio system is not functioning now and tried all suggested methods to overcome this problem...
  5. no audio interface driver after last update 3/13/24

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    no audio interface driver after last update 3/13/24: Win11 update 3/13/24 somehow prevents the pc from recognizing AMS-22 driver; tried to delete update but failed after restart; know this has something to do with security but my audio system is not functioning now and tried all suggested methods to overcome this problem...
  6. I can't able to update the last cumulative update from the windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I can't able to update the last cumulative update from the windows: I can't able to update the last cumulative update from windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-able-to-update-the-last-cumulative-update/4be55d3c-e894-471f-ba60-a21e65028aeb
  7. Windows deactivated itself after the last two cumulative updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows deactivated itself after the last two cumulative updates: My previously activated windows 10 Pro now says that it cannot connect with the activation server to verify. It still shows the Product ID and Product Key. Also shows error code: 0xC004F074, this system was previously windows 7 Pro and was upgraded to 10 years ago. I have run...
  8. After last Cumulative Update game stoped working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After last Cumulative Update game stoped working.: I bought and used for about a week Survivalcraft 2 on the Store. And Full Version was working just fine. Then Windows executed last 2020-04 Cumulative Update, restarted and... game returned to Trial Mode meaning it doesn't me do much anymore. Tryed everything I know,...
  9. July cumulative update for 1803

July cumulative update for 1803: Microsoft: Yesterday, you guys came out with the July cumulative update for Windows 10 1803, after checking the website. The update never showed up after I went to settings, Windows update and check for updates. Does that mean I have to manually install it?...
  10. disc cleanup after 1803 cumulative updates

disc cleanup after 1803 cumulative updates: 1803 cumulative updates take so long to be cleaned up with disc cleanup. I do so b/c I want to have a clean image in case I have to recover. Is there a faster way to clean up these updates? 113004