Windows 10: Can't boot or install nor repair

Discus and support Can't boot or install nor repair in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I tried to dual boot windows 10 pro 64 bit with windows 7 but I put the wrong disk in and ended up installing win 7 32 bit. :'( Now windows 10 won't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by OboieOne, Oct 18, 2016.

1. OboieOne Win User

Can't boot or install nor repair

I tried to dual boot windows 10 pro 64 bit with windows 7 but I put the wrong disk in and ended up installing win 7 32 bit. :'(

Now windows 10 won't boot Iv tried running repair but still same error. Bad_info or something with blue screen, but it boots into 7 and I can view my files have put 64 bit is on over 32 but still can't seem to repair my 10 not even with USB.

Do I need to completely lose my stuff or is there a work around?

Thank you in advance

:)

OboieOne, Oct 18, 2016
  2. Raf_M Win User

Windows 10 not booting, resetting, repairing, nor installing

I started up my laptop (Toshiba Satellite, 64 bit, Windows 8 originally, 3 years old) and it booted without a problem but I noticed there was no internet even though it was connected to the network. I tried restarting it and saw that Windows was trying to
    update something. When it rebooted (still no internet), I checked that it was trying to update Windows 10 Version 1607 and the firewall wasn't working; it kept giving me this error "0x8007042c".

After many tries to see why it wasn't connecting to the internet and why the firewall wasn't working. I found on MS forum a potential solution to regrant ownership to all files to the user account which I did, to no help. Then it started asking for activation.
    I backed up my files and tried to reset the system while keeping my files, apps, and settings to no avail. I tried resetting the system and removing everything which didn't work either. After that, the laptop stopped booting and showed me the page with "Continue",
    "Troubleshoot", and "Shut down". I tried everything in troubleshooting and nothing worked.

I downloaded an image of Windows 10 on a USB stick and tried to repair and recover also to no avail. I have a recovery disk that I made but it doesn't boot at all. I've tried every potential solutions on this MS
    forum
    but nothing at all worked. Absolutely nothing. It tells me now "total identified Windows installations: 0" and I just can't do anything to it.

It's incredibly frustrating.

Raf_M, Oct 18, 2016
  3. Windows 10 not booting, resetting, repairing, nor installing

Hi Raf,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if some system files is corrupt.

I suggest you to boot the computer with the Windows 10 Installation Media which you have downloaded on a USB stick.

1. Start (or boot) your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer.

You might need to change the boot order for booting USB flash drive.

BIOS Disclaimer:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the
    configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

2. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so.

3. When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click on Repair your computer
    to start the Windows Recovery Mode.

4. In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click on
    Troubleshoot.

5. Click on Advanced Options.

6. Then on click on Startup Repair.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with booting to Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 18, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Roundabout way but this is possible

1) On another computer download Free Macrium and make BOOTABLE USB.
    2) Boot Macrium on your defective machine.
    3) Take image of your W10 partition - you'll see why - we aren't going to RECOVER it. just get data from it. Copy to external HDD etc.
    4) In the Macrium menu do an Explore image and browse to the image file you created. It will create a drive letter then you can browse it with the file explorer in the Winpe bit of Macrium and copy data files. Copy them to HDD you saved the image on.

Note - for the future always keep DATA and OS on separate HDD's / SSD's /partitions --- that way when re-formatting etc you don't lose Data.

As for W10 - after recovering your files you'll have to do a clean install -- you won't need to re-activate.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 18, 2016
  5. essenbe Win User
    OboieOne, You need an external source to copy the files to. Assuming I understand you correctly, Jimbo45's way will work real well. But, if you can see the files from Windows 7,can you copy them and paste them to an external drive from within Windows 7?

You can also copy/paste from the Windows 7 Recovery console http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...y-console.html

You can also Recover your files using any Linux Live CD. Emergency Kit - save your files from a dead OS - Windows 7 Help Forums

You have several options. There is no reason for you to lose your files.

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't boot or install nor repair - Similar Threads - Can't boot install

2. Can't uninstall, repair nor install vcredist 2015-2022

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't uninstall, repair nor install vcredist 2015-2022: Hello!I am unable to install an application due to the above mentioned vcredist problem. Everytime I try to mess with it, a reboot required appears in order to continue. And this loops over and over. no matter how many times I restart my system.So far I have tried to reboot a...
  3. Can't uninstall, repair nor install vcredist 2015-2022

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't uninstall, repair nor install vcredist 2015-2022: Hello!I am unable to install an application due to the above mentioned vcredist problem. Everytime I try to mess with it, a reboot required appears in order to continue. And this loops over and over. no matter how many times I restart my system.So far I have tried to reboot a...
  4. Bsod. Can't boot, reinstall windows, nor boot in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bsod. Can't boot, reinstall windows, nor boot in safe mode.: Happened 2 days ago. I've updated my drivers and I use a external hard drive. The only thing I can access is the recovery page and BIOS. I don't know what to do. My BSOD looks glitched. The smiley face looks like a weird, white block, meanwhile the text is also all glitched...
  5. Bsod. Can't boot, reinstall windows, nor boot in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bsod. Can't boot, reinstall windows, nor boot in safe mode.: Happened 2 days ago. I've updated my drivers and I use a external hard drive. The only thing I can access is the recovery page and BIOS. I don't know what to do. My BSOD looks glitched. The smiley face looks like a weird, white block, meanwhile the text is also all glitched...
  6. Bsod. Can't boot, reinstall windows, nor boot in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can't boot past Automatic Repair

Can't boot past Automatic Repair: Hello there,I'm having an issue where I am unable to boot into Windows. Upon powering up my PC, it loads the mobo splash screen, shuts off, then says "Preparing Automatic Repair". I'm then taken to the Automatic Repair screen where I have attempted all the most popular fixes...
  8. BSOD during windows update, cannot boot nor repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD during windows update, cannot boot nor repair: Hi, I am using Windows 10 Pro and on Friday I was prompted to install an Update, I clicked on Restart & Update and came back to this BSOD: [IMG] I waited for over 15min and rebooted manually. On the next boot, windows tried to uninstall the update but after a few minutes...
  9. Can't repair my installation

Can't repair my installation: I'm using win 10 Education version. I don't know why some apps stoped to work, like Calculator, Weather Forecast, Search ... I tried to repair with my win10 installation disk, clicking on Setup. On the repair type choice page only the save nothing option is available .There...
  10. Can't "Install/Repair"

Can't "Install/Repair": Done 100's of these. (Well maybe a couplehundred over the years.) Right now running "Windows 10 Insider Preview Version 1803 (OS Build17112.1)" Thiswas on the HDD of a Mobo crash and is installed on new Mobo and CPU. Noticed I can't do updates, run CMD or powershell and a...