Windows 10: Can't boot to Windows 10 after changing SATA mode and RAID

Discus and support Can't boot to Windows 10 after changing SATA mode and RAID in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So at first, I was trying to resolve an issue with my BD-ROM drive described here: XPS 8700 - BD-ROM (HL-DT-ST DVDRW/BDROM CH20N) Not Recognized... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ctech, Dec 1, 2015.

1. ctech Win User

Can't boot to Windows 10 after changing SATA mode and RAID

So at first, I was trying to resolve an issue with my BD-ROM drive described here: XPS 8700 - BD-ROM (HL-DT-ST DVDRW/BDROM CH20N) Not Recognized Windows 10 - Disk Drives (HDD, CD/DVD, Blu-ray) Forum - Disk Drives - Dell Community

However, when attempting to try different things, I am now in a position where I can no longer boot to Windows 10. More specifically, when I turn on my computer, I get an error saying no bootable drives found and it just lists my SATA 1, 2, 3, etc. drives with an option to restart or go to BIOS setup. In other words, I don't even see Windows anymore existing.

My basic computer specs:
    Dell XPS 8700 SE
    Intel Core i7-4700
    Windows 10 with 1511 update
    2TB hdd with 32GB mSATA SSD cache drive
    16GB RAM
    BD-ROM

I need help to get Windows working again, and hopefully, get back my data. Here's what I did to cause the problems:

1) I went to Dell UEFI BIOS setup, and changed the SATA mode from "RAID" to "AHCI". Saved and exited BIOS.
    2) After rebooting, Windows failed to load, had a consistent blue screen with the sad smiley face with error "IO1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED", automatic repair also failed.
    3) I tried reverting back to "RAID" in SATA mode in BIOS, but it failed to change anything. Windows still wouldn't boot
    4) I then entered into the special BIOS menu showing devices which listed my mSATA cache drive and hard drive and RAID settings. Since it showed that the cache drive was "Disabled", I thought I could fix my issues by re-creating the RAID array.
    5) I tried to delete the current RAID setup shown in that BIOS menu, then chose the option to recreate the RAID0 array by selecting the option to create a "Striped Disk Array".
    6) Once I did the above, Windows itself disappeared, and trying to undo the RAID0 option did not fix anything

So now I am no longer seeing Windows, not sure if my data on the hard drive still exists, and my cache drive (obviously) is not working.

Any ideas how to fix without doing a clean reinstall and losing all my previous data in Windows?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

:)

ctech, Dec 1, 2015
  2. Linney Win User

Won't successfully boot my SpinRite CD, so is FreeDOS incompatibile? But flash drive with FreeDOS runs fine. Also S.M.A.R.T. info in final Replies.

When you find the area in the Bios, note its' location, and note the current settings so that you can return the settings to their present configuration after using Spinrite.

How to Change SATA Hard Disk Mode from IDE to AHCI / RAID in BIOS after Installing Windows?

How to Change SATA Hard Disk Mode from IDE to AHCI / RAID in BIOS after Installing Windows? - AskVG

Linney, Dec 1, 2015
  3. Adding an internal hdd after Raid 0 but system keeps adding it to Raid configuration

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 Desktop with Windows 10 installed on in Raid 0 on two identical Seagate Barracuda Sata Hdds. I'm trying to add a Samsung 2TB internal hard drive. After activating the appropriate Sata location in the bios (Sata2. The two Raid
    hdds are on Sata1 & 4 with my optical drive on sata0), the computer tries to boot with the Samsung drive in Raid and freezes on the boot screen. How do I make my computer recognize this drive strictly as an additional sata hdd without it attaching it to the
    raid array?

Thanks in advance,

Miles

MilesDavisThaBoss, Dec 1, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

IO1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED is caused by an improper setup or improper configuration after setup.

I'm no expert at the BIOS configurations, even not an advanced user, but I think you need to set in the raid array the hard drive you want to boot from. I guess that configuration went gone after you changed the SATA mode.

axe0, Dec 1, 2015
  5. ctech Win User
    Right, the problem is I am no longer getting even the Windows BSOD error, it's now just showing no bootable drives to choose from (Windows I guess is not recognized). I already tried playing around with the RAID settings in BIOS and the way it is now is that it is disabled; however, my computer still doesn't work or boot from the OS drive. Perhaps when I changed to RAID0 - Striped Disk Array, I am worried if that caused a loss of my data and boot partition; if so, is there any way to recover from that? I suspect my data is still on the drive, but just not Windows partition or something, as it's not booting to Windows anymore

ctech, Dec 1, 2015
  6. axe0 New Member
    The data shouldn't been lost, you only have destroyed your setup to say it rough.
    As I stated I am a novice, I wouldn't know a recovery method. My guess would be that a clean setup of the RAID should resolve this.

axe0, Dec 1, 2015
  7. ctech Win User
    Thanks, hoping someone can point me in the right direction to fix. In terms of RAID, since I had a SSD cache drive, I think me selecting the Striped Disk Array option was wrong, but now I am not sure how to go back.

ctech, Dec 1, 2015
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

What were you thinking setting that up as a RAID drive anyway ?

Sorry.......

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 2, 2015
  9. ctech Win User
    I mistakenly thought it had something to do with making it a cache drive and re-enabling that option. I only realized afterwards that cache drives are handled in Windows not BIOS

ctech, Dec 2, 2015
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Sorry to say so but a reinstall is in order.

Best of luck, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 2, 2015
  11. ctech Win User
    No other suggestions here? I think just the Windows boot and EFI partition needs to be fixed, no?

ctech, Dec 2, 2015
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Do you have a backup of that drive ?

If not you can try to fix the boot problem using Macrium Reflect Free's menu when booted from it's rescue DVD/USB drive.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 2, 2015
  13. Victek Win User

How about booting from a Windows 10 setup disk and running Startup Repair?

Victek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't boot to Windows 10 after changing SATA mode and RAID - Similar Threads - Can't boot changing

2. Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?: Hello, Recently i install window 10, after installation i change SATA mode from Raid to AHCI using Safe boot, currently its working fine but i am confused will it cause any issue in future. should i reinstall window to not encounter any issue in near future....
  3. Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?: Hello, Recently i install window 10, after installation i change SATA mode from Raid to AHCI using Safe boot, currently its working fine but i am confused will it cause any issue in future. should i reinstall window to not encounter any issue in near future....
  4. Hello, should I reinstall window after changing boot mode from Raid to AHCI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode

in Windows 10 News
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode: [ATTACH]While installing an update on Windows 11/10, if you get AMD Ryzen or AMD Ryzen Threadripper configured in SATA or NVMe RAID mode error, this guide will help you fix the issue. Even if you do not have AMD hardware, you might get this error while installing a feature...
  6. Change nvme to legacy mode after using it in raid mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change nvme to legacy mode after using it in raid mode: I'm using Win 10 pro N in RAID mode (I installed initially to a RAID10 array of 4 x 14TB wd140emfz from elements enclosures), and I have just noticed that while defragging the RAID10 array and simultaneously benching a data free Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB that the NVME's...
  7. BOOT / SATA OPERATION MODE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BOOT / SATA OPERATION MODE: Hello, Greetings from my small country of Bahrain. I hope all of you are healthy and safe during these times. I just wanted to clarify a small issue I have, below are the specs of my system Dell Optiplex 9010 MT Win10 pro x64 licensed Processor Intel i7 3770 16 GB...
  8. Inaccessible boot device after changing RAID controller

Inaccessible boot device after changing RAID controller: My W10 1909 x64 system that used a built in RAID controller (LSI 1038) didn't support large drives, so I bought an IBM 5016. I backed up the RAID 1 boot device using Macrium Reflect Installed the new RAID controller and deleted the old RAID 1 array, and then created a new...
  9. Can't boot after deleting a raid 1 mirror.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't boot after deleting a raid 1 mirror.: I deleted an old Intel WINDOWSXP raid 1 mirror and the system would not boot. I tried fixboot “access denied” . All hard drives removed. I used the procedure to use fixboot but the problem was not the same as indicated. My boot is volume 1 but as’”E”. Volume 3 is” C” which...
  10. Adding a SATA RAID card

Adding a SATA RAID card: I'm wondering if I've made a schoolboy error here... I'm trying to add more disks to my desktop and have run out of SATA ports the motherboard has 6. I've just added a SATA RAID card (Semlos 4 Ports PCI Sata Internal Raid Controller Card Sil3114 Chipset with 2 Sata...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot boot windows after change sata mode to raid

2. windows 10 update lost sata drive driver wont boot