Windows 10: Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone)

Discus and support Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've a 2TB Toshiba HDD and recently purchased a 480GB PNY SSD. I would like to migrate all the data the HDD contains to the SSD, use the SSD as my main... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cnone, May 26, 2017.

1. cnone Win User

Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone)

I've a 2TB Toshiba HDD and recently purchased a 480GB PNY SSD. I would like to migrate all the data the HDD contains to the SSD, use the SSD as my main drive and just dump movies, photos etc. to the HDD later.

Since I've only about 300GB on the HDD, I wanted to a direct clone to SSD and then later wipe the HDD.
    I tried doing this via EaseUS twice, both times the process failed at the 4th stage (which was labeling). All of the contents of the HDD were transferred to the SSD however, the I couldn't boot Windows from SSD. BIOS sees it, I can access data on it when I boot Windows from my HDD but as I said I can't boot Windows from it. When I unplug HDD, I get the Error code: 0xc0000225, which basically complains about winload.efi.

Then I tried cloning with another partitioning program, specifically Reflect. I pretty much got the same experience, however this time when I try booting with only SSD plugged in, I don't get a Windows error screen but it just pushes me back to the BIOS screen.

I've checked the "boot" tab in the "system configuration", it only shows the win10 at the C partition.
    I've tried countless times playing with the boot sequence of the drives but that doesn't help. It shouldn't matter anyways since the SSD can't boot by itself.
    If it helps, my Windows is OEM. I suspected it could be related to it, however, I've read on more than one forum that a direct clone should not be affected by it.

Your help will be much appreciated as I've run out of ideas*Smile

:)

cnone, May 26, 2017
  2. YuanSR Win User

Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

Get a disk cloning software and do the cloning job, from HDD to SSD on PC.

Change boot priority to cloned SSD in BIOS or remove HDD to test if you can boot up successfully.

Cloning method is safe but still it is good to create a backup image for your Win10 before you start.

For detailed steps with screenshots, you may need:
    migrate Windows 10 to SSD without data loss

YuanSR, May 26, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Tying to install windows on a brand new machine, computer hangs on first boot.

Win10 supports SSD, regardless of build version. No worries there.

- Have you installed the most recent motherboard drivers from AsRock (the drivers on the disk are often

not up to date) ?

- Now that you have the machine running with Win10 on a HDD , and with the SSD still installed

on the machine, if you go to BIOS and change the boot order to make the SSD the first option will

Windows boot from the SSD (assuming you have not already reformatted the SSD ) ?

- If not, your install on the SSD may be corrupt, so you may need to reinstall Win10 on the SSD, or clone Win10

from the HDD to the SSD.

I use AOEMI for cloning, but Macrium Reflect is often recommended on these forums as well.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

BossDweeb, May 26, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. It sounds as if you haven't actually cloned the drive but copied the partitions doing it that way often doesn't work as the boot sector isn't copied. If you use a clone program not a partition one Magnum is the most popular one

Samuria, May 26, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Macrium (Reflect) Magnums are the most powerful handgun in the world but no much good at image backupCan't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone) :).

cereberus, May 26, 2017
  6. cnone Win User
    Can you please give a link? Interestingly Google Search wasn't my friend in this case.

cnone, May 26, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Post image of your disk partitions from disk management.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Boot Win10 from SSD (HDD clone) - Similar Threads - Can't Boot Win10

2. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  3. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  4. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  6. Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cloned HDD onto SSD, managed to boot from SSD, formatted HDD, now SSD won't boot: Full details - I bought a new Samsung SSD for my laptop, put it into the spare M.2 NVME slot, cloned my OEM installed SSD onto it using Samsung Data Migration, removed the OEM SSD, booted from the new one and it worked like a charm. Now, I tried to do the same thing with my...
  7. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  8. Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD

Cloning Windows from an HDD to an SSD: I'm trying to clone my Windows PC. I have a 220GB SSD installed with a 1 TB HDD. What I'm trying to do is clone Windows and leave my documents and Images etc: on the HDD. When setting up the cloning software I have deleted the "Users" folder from the cloning operation. I now...
  9. SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.

SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.: I recently purchased a Sandisk 120GB SSD to use for running my OS from. I formatted the disk as normal then ran the EaseUS todo backup to clone the data. The cloning seemed to be successful as the SSD had all the data from the HDD including Windows 10. However when I try...
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058