Windows 10: Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI

Discus and support Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I have my laptop since last december (less than a year), and for unknown reasons, I got a BSOD a few weeks ago and none of the available... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AltarOfMyEgo, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI

Hello!

I have my laptop since last december (less than a year), and for unknown reasons, I got a BSOD a few weeks ago and none of the available recovery tools managed to bring me back to my desktop; not even a refresh. That's when I promised myself that I would never ever again install a Microsoft OS, and went for Ubuntu 16.04 (which was already there on another partition). Now I'm realizing that I need some softwares that work best on Windows and not through a VM (eventhough I already have Windows 10 running in VM for Microsoft Office).

So here's my issue:

I created my bootable Windows 10 installation USB but I can't boot from it! I doesn't even show as an option. Ubuntu does. I tried a USB 3.0, 2.0, UEFI, Legacy, MBR, GPT... Nothing seems to work. Searched forums for hours and couldn't find a solution.

Now for grub to be able to launch at startup, I had to add an efi file to the trusted uefi file list in the BIOS. I was wondering if such a file should be added to be able to boot from my USB... (secure boot is disabled).

I want to keep my Ubuntu and Kali...

I've attached a screenshot of my ssd partitions.

Any idea?

:)

AltarOfMyEgo, Nov 27, 2016

2. Windows 10 Activation

Acer Aspire V5 431 Windows 8 upgraded to 8.1

I

I did upgrade last month to Windows 10, but went back to 8.1

I needed to re install to factory settings (this is on a USB) using UEFI in Window 8.1, Iwent into the bios to change the boot to USB. I successfully re installed to factory settings from the USB, to build back up to the Windows 10 upgrade,
    but then on re boot it keeps looking for the USB to boot and won’t get past it (vicious circle).

It will boot CD/DVD

I installed Windows 8 and was going to build back up to the 10 upgrade, on re boot it looks for the USB and won’t boot into Windows

I can install Windows 10 (full from the upgrade Version and it boots into Windows, so I looked for UEFI firmware to go into the bios and change boot order to HDD, I can’t find UEFI in Windows 10

Now with 10 it needs activating, do you think M$ Activation (telephone) would understand I have this upgrade but it's a fresh install (being the only way to get into Windows)

Sadly I can’t find an Activation telephone number for this version (upgrade) that I have used.

Would I get it activated

My intention of installing 10 was to use UEFI firmware to get into the bios, UEFI firmware is not in Windows 10

I have tried thousands of F keys (should be F2) but can’t get into the bios. It’s as though UEFI has took control and left it looking to boot USB not HDD.

Johnbarry30, Nov 27, 2016
  3. Wojtek_S Win User
    Is it possible to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode using the original USB stick?

Hi,

I would like to know whether it is possible to use the USB stick supplied with the full version of Windows 10 to install the system on a disk configured to use the GPT (rather than MBR) partition style.

I am asking because the guidelines from Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style stress that to install Windows on a UEFI disk, it is necessary to boot the setup medium in UEFI mode as well. However, the original
    USB stick seems to be using the MBR partition style. In any case I can't boot from it when the PC is configured to boot first from a "UEFI USB Key"; booting only succeeds when the firmware is set to boot first from a "USB Key". But then the installer converts
    the system disk to MBR even if it was previously set to use GPT.

Does this mean that in order to install the system on a GPT disk, I cannot use the original USB stick, but I need to download the Windows 10 ISO file and write it to another USB stick formatted using the GPT partition style?

Best regards,

Wojtek

Wojtek_S, Nov 27, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI

How did you make the Windows 10 USB flash drive? It needs to be formatted as FAT32 and the partition on it marked as active to be compatible with both UEFI and legacy BIOS (or CSM). Once it is formatted as FAT32 and the partition marked as active, then you just copy the files and folders from the mounted Windows 10 ISO over to it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2016
  5. I used the Microsoft Windows 7 tool, rufus (tried different options), unetbootin, and dd. The partition was always active. It booted only once but I couldn't install as the partition table was different. I'll try to do it as you advised and let you know how it all went.

AltarOfMyEgo, Nov 27, 2016
  6. Okay, I just tried that and it didn't work. I can select my USB drive, but then it freezes on the Acer splash screen. The iso file is fine, since it loaded Legacy... Any idea? Maybe has something to do with the recovery partition? Should I delete it?

AltarOfMyEgo, Nov 28, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    What is on the hard drive should not affect booting from a USB flash drive. Two things to try:

Try that for the USB flash drive.

Also you can try converting the Windows 10 Installation drive to boot into Kyhi's recovery tools, see my quote in the middle of the OP:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Nov 28, 2016
  8. Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI

It turned out the issue was the ISO... I tried with another one and it worked. Then I updated with the one than that wouldn't boot... I still don't know what the issue was, but I'm sure it was the ISO... Sorry for taking your time and thanks for your help! Do you have any idea what the issue could be with the ISO? I could boot and launch the installation in Legacy, but in UEFI...

AltarOfMyEgo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI

1. Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB - UEFI - Similar Threads - Can't boot installation

2. Can't boot into windows 10 UEFI usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot into windows 10 UEFI usb: When i try to boot the windows 10 usb in UEFI mode i get past the post screen to the windows logo, after a few seconds the computer restarts and it just keeps repeating. It works in bios legacy mode. I've managed to install build 1709 from an old iso in UEFI, but newer builds...
  3. Can't boot into windows 10 UEFI usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot into windows 10 UEFI usb: When i try to boot the windows 10 usb in UEFI mode i get past the post screen to the windows logo, after a few seconds the computer restarts and it just keeps repeating. It works in bios legacy mode. I've managed to install build 1709 from an old iso in UEFI, but newer builds...
  4. Can't boot into windows 10 UEFI usb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode

Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode: I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 on my computer. The first time I installed windows it was done in legacy mode and worked find. That was 3 years ago now. I made a bootable usb with the windows media creation tool and tried to boot it using UEFI and the ASROCK logo comes up...
  6. Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB

Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB: Hi, I was having problems with my Display Driver, it kept shutting down my PC, so I uninstalled it and it didn't shut down anymore. I had to restart my PC the other day so I went into device manager and it had installed a Microsoft Generic driver. I uninstalled that one and...
  7. Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot Windows 10 installation from USB: Hi, I was having problems with my Display Driver, it kept shutting down my PC, so I uninstalled it and it didn't shut down anymore. I had to restart my PC the other day so I went into device manager and it had installed a Microsoft Generic driver. I uninstalled that one and...
  8. Boot Windows 10 from USB, UEFI file for USB not booting.

Boot Windows 10 from USB, UEFI file for USB not booting.: I want to do a fresh install of windows on my ssd with a usb. I don't have access to a secondary windows computer but have downloaded the .iso file on a sandisk 16GB usb from my mac. My pc originally didn't boot with the file in the exfat format so I managed to copy the .iso...
  9. BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot

BIOS / UEFI - can't USB boot: Hi, Problem I'm trying to boot from a USB pen ( Windows Install, Hirens, Any OTHER ) The problem is it sometimes works , sometimes as in Windows installer works when I wipe the on board drive. I can't get it to boot to anything else even when the on board drive it...
  10. Cannot boot from USB Windows 10 UEFI

Cannot boot from USB Windows 10 UEFI: I'm having difficulty booting from a USB flash drive. Although the USB drive appears in the boot menu, when clicked the screen goes blank, then sends me back to the boot menu within seconds. I have tried using several different USB creation utilities, including Rufus. This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant boot windows 10 installer from usb

2. dont found uefi menu in win 10

3. cant boot on usb \EFI\microsoft\boot\BCD

4. cant find uefi in windows 10 acer,
  5. win 10 cant boot uefi