Windows 10: Can't change Background/Wallpaper... nothing happens

Discus and support Can't change Background/Wallpaper... nothing happens in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I go to Settings -> Personalisation -> Background and try to change my wallpaper to one of my own pictures nothing happens. When I choose one of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by simonwilliams, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Can't change Background/Wallpaper... nothing happens

When I go to Settings -> Personalisation -> Background and try to change my wallpaper to one of my own pictures nothing happens. When I choose one of the Windows pictures (that one of the guy running along the beach with those big rocks in the background for example) again, nothing happens. The only thing I can do is change it to another solid colour.

Bizarrely, on my wife's account (we're both Administrators) she can change the wallpaper to whatever she wants.

Is there a setting I have missed or something?

Thanks.

:)

simonwilliams, Aug 3, 2015

2. Bing Wallpaper.

I just want don't want wallpaper changing in my Microsoft Lumia XL. I want background to change with wallpaper.

I tried my best, but i can't. When I download the wallpapers from bing they are not suiting. I want to change background with wallpaper. How can I do that?

chandbasha625, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Home Edition Background Image Problem

Are you running any third party wallpaper changing software?

What does "blurred in black" mean?

The Personalization page is fairly smart and can handle things the background can't handle.

What happens if you switch back to the standard Windows theme - does that background show up?

zachd [MSFT], Aug 3, 2015
  4. Dmofo Win User

Can't change Background/Wallpaper... nothing happens

I'm experiencing the same issue on Win10 build# 10240. All was good until this poped-up. How many of you Win10 users have the same issue?

Dmofo, Aug 3, 2015
  5. Be sure you are selecting an actual picture and not just a folder. Windows 10 seems to have issues with folders and backgrounds. Alternatively, drop this " control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper " into either the run command or a command prompt and see if the old GUI works better.

joeypent69, Aug 3, 2015
  6. Dmofo Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion. I already ran your recommendation. It did not work. I could however, change the background color. The old GUI works! Informed MS via feedback app.

Dmofo, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Bummer. Hope you get it sorted. I know it would drive me nuts!

joeypent69, Aug 4, 2015
  8. Can't change Background/Wallpaper... nothing happens

It didn't work for me either. *Sad

simonwilliams, Aug 4, 2015
  9. kevin go Win User
    I too had some trouble with backgrounds,,,,, went to ease of access -- other options --
    show windows background -- setting was off. turned it on.
    Went back to Personalisation Background
    Changed Background to Solid colour using drop down menu
    Choose my Colour
    Change Background to use a Picture
    Choose a Picture.

hopefully this will help you

kevin go, Aug 8, 2015
  10. Thanks, but it didn't work. The SHow background option was already set to on. I tried switching it off and on again. Nothing doing....

simonwilliams, Aug 10, 2015
  11. satchmo Win User
    Windows key + R to open up the run command, and paste "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,,@desktop into the entry field.

This brings back the old Windows 7 background selection interface.

I had problem setting up a slideshow of backgrounds, and this was the solution.

Good luck!

satchmo, Aug 10, 2015
  12. Again, thanks but it didn't work. I could still only get a solid colour background (not even a Windows picture).

simonwilliams, Aug 10, 2015
  13. Annalene Win User

After searching for hours, your suggetion solved my problem ! Thank you very much

Annalene, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't change Background/Wallpaper... nothing happens - Similar Threads - Can't change Background

2. can't change background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't change background: can't change background and appear black, tried more methods to fix and still can't https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-background/657343b6-6d18-4d6e-9c8b-e5be578616c8
  3. can't change background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't change background: can't change background and appear black, tried more methods to fix and still can't https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-background/657343b6-6d18-4d6e-9c8b-e5be578616c8
  4. Background keeps changing back to Dynamic Wallpaper

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background keeps changing back to Dynamic Wallpaper: A week ago I downloaded a dynamic wallpaper to correlate to the time of the day; it's a city scape so the the sunrise screen comes on at sunrise time, noon for noon, and night for night etc. It all correlates to my time zone. I decided I wanted to change it to just one...
  5. "Change Adapter Options" nothing happens

"Change Adapter Options" nothing happens: I am using my laptop to program devices with a wired ethernet connection. I need to have a specified IP address to interface with the devices. When I click on "Change adapter Options" nothing happens onscreen, but the fan comes on like the machine is calculating pi to...
  6. Remote Desktop Session Changes Background Wallpaper

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Session Changes Background Wallpaper: Hi, Since the latest feature release update in July 2019, I get unexpected behaviour when running Remote Desktop to connect from one Windows 10 Pro PC to another on my local network. The desktop wall paper on the remote machine can be replaced by the wallpaper image on the...
  7. Randomly Changing Wallpapers on Windows Spotlight and Background

Randomly Changing Wallpapers on Windows Spotlight and Background: Hi, I just recently had this issue and it is still going on. A while back (I think it was after a windows update), I noticed that my lock screen changed from the usual windows spotlight to a black and white picture of four random guys (possibly from the 1900s? I don't really...
  8. Background wallpaper

Background wallpaper: In Windows 7 you could set a sideshow as a Main Folder and it would pick up all subsidiary folders also, so that the random shots would trawl through all folders. In Windows 10 it seems you can only nominate 1 folder. Is there a way around that? Thx...
  9. wallpaper/backgrounds

wallpaper/backgrounds: My win 10 home edition will not let me change my wallpaper anymore since the Oct. update. I have tried every fix I can find on the internet and none of them work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wallpaperbackgrounds/af486ca3-6b31-4d3e-a8d0-68eab56808ef
  10. Can't Change Desktop Wallpaper

Can't Change Desktop Wallpaper: I'm getting frustrated with this. No matter what I do I can't get to change the desktop wallpaper/background on windows 10. When I open a pic in ACDsee and set it as a wallpaper it doesn't change a thing. All I have is a solid color. Can someone help me with this please. TIA...