Windows 10: Can't change BIOS order

Discus and support Can't change BIOS order in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I'm having a dual boot system (Windows and Ubuntu) and since I disassembled my laptop some hours ago the laptop boots directly into Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by doriandiaconu, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Can't change BIOS order

So I'm having a dual boot system (Windows and Ubuntu) and since I disassembled my laptop some hours ago the laptop boots directly into Windows (ignoring the GRUB OS selection screen).

I'm having a Lenovo Laptop with Windows 10 (Insider Preview) and a Samsung EVO 840 SSD on which my both OSs are installed.

When booting into BIOS I can't change the order of booting (Windows is stuck at the 1st position).

Any idea on how to solve this?

:)

doriandiaconu, Sep 12, 2017

2. After Windows 10 PC reset, inaccessible boot device

Sorry to hear. So you can't even access the recovery or tools partitions. Can you get into the bios and try changing the boot order to your recovery USB?

mrpumpkin9, Sep 12, 2017
  3. Smittychat., Sep 12, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Can't change BIOS order

You need to update the boot file location.

I use rEFInd not grub so (from Windows Administrator command prompt) I run this whenever Windows resets it which it does on occasion. Code: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi[/quote] You probably want to do something like this (again from windows command prompt). Code: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi[/quote] If you can't remember or don't know where you installed grub (or what the name is) then mount the ESP and have a look - your loader will be in the EFI directory somewhere.

5. It sounds as if you need to edit the Grub menu in order to offer you a choice of which OS to load. See the article at How to Configure the GRUB2 Boot Loaders Settings which gives a full explanation. If you are having difficulty in launching Ubuntu, then try holding Shift whilst booting the PC.

MikeinGrange, Sep 12, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    The OP is booting straight into Windows.

7. I mounted the EFI partition in "B" so I get this

B:\> bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path B:\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
    The set command specified is not valid.
    Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
    The parameter is incorrect.

8. lx07 Win User

Can't change BIOS order

You don't need that B:

You are telling the firmware about what directory inside the ESF to use - it doesn't know anything about Windows Drive letters.

Just put this

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

This is assuming there is such a program in B:\EFI\ubuntu directory

9. PS B:\> bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
    The set command specified is not valid.
    Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
    The parameter is incorrect.

10. cereberus Win User
    Sometimes powershell is not fully compatible with the command shell when it comes to bcdedit commands.

Type CMD to get to old command shell, and try again.

cereberus, Sep 12, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    Exactly - doesn't work in powershell

Can't change BIOS order [​IMG]

12. lx07 Win User
    You got grub back? Splendid.

13. Can't change BIOS order

Yup. Yup.

Thank you!

14. It seems the problem appears again after installing a new Windows Update.

doriandiaconu, Sep 13, 2017
  15. lx07 Win User
    I'm not sure exactly what resets it to the Windows loader but for sure I do have to reset it now and again. You could be right and it is updates/upgrades that does it but, I think, not always.

I have a MacBook and upgrading that OS also resets it to MacOS (and I lose my bootloader again). I suppose they both like their own OS to be in charge *Smile

Thema:

Can't change BIOS order

1. Can't change BIOS order - Similar Threads - Can't change BIOS

2. Can't find boot priority order in bios menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find boot priority order in bios menu: I got an SSDc installed in my laptop which is the main drive now with the os. I wanted to switch back to a different drived as main boot priority. I even migrated os from C to D successfully but, in the bios menu all I see is:Boot mode UEFIFast bootPXE Boot to lanIPV4 PXE...
  3. Can't find boot priority order in bios menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find boot priority order in bios menu: I got an SSDc installed in my laptop which is the main drive now with the os. I wanted to switch back to a different drived as main boot priority. I even migrated os from C to D successfully but, in the bios menu all I see is:Boot mode UEFIFast bootPXE Boot to lanIPV4 PXE...
  4. Can't find boot priority order in bios menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS: Two issues happening at random times:BSoD"An operating system wasn't found" during startup. When I look into the BIOS, sometimes the boot priority changed by itself to the drive with no OS Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB , sometimes the hard drive with OS completely disappears...
  6. BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD & boot order changes by itself in BIOS: Two issues happening at random times:BSoD"An operating system wasn't found" during startup. When I look into the BIOS, sometimes the boot priority changed by itself to the drive with no OS Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB , sometimes the hard drive with OS completely disappears...
  7. Can't change BIOS mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't change BIOS mode: Hi,My laptop's SMBIOS version is 2.7, so it should support UEFI and Secure boot. However, there is no option to change the BIOS mode in the BIOS setup. So I'm stuck with Legacy boot and a MBR disk. Does anyone know how to change the BIOS mode?Thank you in...
  8. BIOS Boot order

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BIOS Boot order: No way, in the BIOS, to change Boot prioriy. I cannot use a CD to boot from in an emergency. How can this be done? Gigabyte laptop, Windows 10, 64. I cannot disable secure boot, the option will not highlite. 47197
  9. BIOS Boot order

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS Boot order: I could not find an option under Boot Options, in the BIOS, of my P57W computer to boot off an optical or thumb drive. How the hell am I to boot off these devices when I cannot see them in the BIOS? Gigabyte documentation, or the lack thereof, SUCKS big time. I finally...
  10. After Upgrade Can't Access BIOS to Change Boot Order for W7 Reinstall

in Windows 10 Support
    After Upgrade Can't Access BIOS to Change Boot Order for W7 Reinstall: Have a Lenovo H420 desktop that was upgraded about 2 months ago. We backed up everything and want to reinstall Windows 7. But I can find no way to get into the Setup screen. I've gone to Settings, Update & Security, Advanced Startup and Restart Now. But I have no option to...