Windows 10: Can't change computer bios to boot from disc

Discus and support Can't change computer bios to boot from disc in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I want to format and partition my hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows 10 Problem: I can't change computer to boot from Drive instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TGMcCallie, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Can't change computer bios to boot from disc

I want to format and partition my hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows 10

Problem: I can't change computer to boot from Drive instead of hard drive.

When I restart and tap on excape or F9 F10 or F12 it just keeps coming up as a regular start booting from my
    hard drive.

What is wrong and how can it be fixed?

Thanks

:)

TGMcCallie, Mar 31, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

PC is locked asking for System Start Password - Scam?

Otherwise here are the changes you will probably have to make to boot from the bootable media:

If you have problems booting from a boot disc, you may have UEFI BIOS, go into your BIOS and make the following changes:

• Insert the Bootable Media
    • Disable Secure Boot
    • Enable Legacy Boot
    • If Available enable CSM
    • If Required enable USB Boot
    • Move the device with the bootable disc to the top of the boot order
    • Save BIOS changes and restart your System

DaveM121, Mar 31, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Attempting a clean install of windows 10 but not seeing my usb stick to boot from

If you have problems booting from a boot disc, you may have UEFI BIOS . . .

Insert the Bootable Media

Go into your BIOS and make the following changes:

1. Disable Secure Boot

2. Enable Legacy Boot

3. If Available enable CSM

4. If Required enable USB Boot

5. Move the device with the bootable disc to the top of the boot order

6. Save BIOS changes and restart your System

DaveM121, Mar 31, 2017
  4. Fabler2 Win User

Can't change computer bios to boot from disc

Depends how old your PC/ Laptop is sometimes F5, on boot, will give the options.

Fabler2, Mar 31, 2017
  5. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Also, If you have function keys enabled in the BIOS, you may have to hold the FN key while tapping the correct F key to get to the boot menu. F11 or F12 works on many rigs. It would also be helpful to know the make/model number of your laptop or PC.

Good luck,

6. f14tomcat Win User
    f14tomcat, Mar 31, 2017
  7. HP desktop A6542

When I start windows it says the excape key is the to tap to change the boot order. It does not work

I am going to reformat and do clean installation of my Windows 10 and don't know how I can do that if I can't boot from the CD Drive. My windows disk will boot up. I also have a partition/format program that I want to use to wipe partition and format. It will also boot up. I don't really think I will ever need to change the boot order again in the near future.

My Circuit Board info is:

Board: Pegatron Corporation Benicia 2.01
    Bios: American Megatrends Inc. 5.43 09/10/2009

Any other ideas would be appreciated as I have tried all F Keys just in case but a few days ago I know excape worked and gave me the opportunity to change the boot order but now it will not.

TGMcCallie, Mar 31, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

@TGMcCallie, Good morning!

I'm a little confused with parts of your post. I have highlighted it above.

You say you have 2 other, separate, bootable items. They boot fine. Yet your Install Media will not.
    Just to be clear, what you are calling "my windows disk", is that the HDD or a Windows Recovery disk (CD/DVD)? The "partition/format program", is that a CD/DVD, or just an app on the system? I'm only trying be clear on how you are using the term "boot". Do you mean boot, as in BIOS reading it and running from it, or a program/app running under Windows?

What is your Install Media? CD or DVD? Where did you get the ISO and how did you create it?

f14tomcat, Mar 31, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Make sure you are down a full shutdown. Hold down the shift key when you click on shutdown in Windows. This will bypass Windows fast startup. Then when you press the power key to turn the computer back on, immediately start tapping the ESC key repeatedly.

NavyLCDR, Mar 31, 2017
  10. WOT
    WOT Win User
    You don't need to change the boot order permanently to access the boot menu. The ESC key is most likely your key to access the bios proper but there should be a unique key to simply access the boot menu and make a current boot selection. Now, sometimes, if you have fast startup enabled (or very fast startup enabled) in your bios, you may not be able to access the bios by repeatedly pressing the correct key on boot. Instead you can use this method to access you bios:

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Follow the tutorial and select "advanced UEFI settings" and it will reboot directly into your bios.

Good luck,

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    On most HP computers the Escape key at startup opens another menu that has several options - enter bios setup, choose boot device, recovery, etc. The method of selecting advanced UEFI settings from the Windows recovery menu likely won't work on the OP's computer because his computer is more than likely legacy BIOS and not UEFI.

NavyLCDR, Mar 31, 2017
  12. WOT
    WOT Win User
    OK, if you say so; however, I thought I remembered using it on a Lenovo 2011 legacy laptop. Maybe someone could test it because I think it is just a fancy catch-phrase for "boot into bios."

13. NavyLCDR New Member

and it wouldn't hurt to try it Can't change computer bios to boot from disc :)

NavyLCDR, Mar 31, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    As everyone is aware, once it gets past the logo screen on booting, it's too late to try to enter BIOS. What I have found on several machines is if you hold down the shift key while powering up, don't let go, it will pause at the logo screen. If the BIOS is setup to display available F-keys, they should show on the screen....bottom right, usually. Whether they show or not, start tapping the appropriate key quickly, then let go of the shift key. F2 & F6 are also possibilities according to the HP manual I posted here: Can't change computer bios to boot from disc - - Windows 10 Forums

f14tomcat, Mar 31, 2017
  15. The "Advanced UEFI settings" option isn't there if Windows was installed in Legacy mode. It's only an option if you install in UEFI mode.

alphanumeric, Apr 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't change computer bios to boot from disc - Similar Threads - Can't change computer

2. After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot: After changing from legacy to UEFI my computer will turn on with no boot screen or anything, it will sit for hours with no signal without turning off if I let it, I wiped my my hard drives of the windows 10 os before changing this option, since I was trying to install windows...
  3. Can't boot from optical disc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot from optical disc: I have an asus g73 which got hosed by the most recent windows update. I have macrium reflect. I changed the boot order to boot from DVD drive (macrium win PE media)so I can restore from a pre update backup and the machine will not boot from DVD; it spins up the dvd drive and...
  4. Can't boot into BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot into BIOS: Fast boot is turned off. Every time I boot there is no screen until the login screen, the screen remains in standby. Even mashing the keys to get into the BIOS leaves me on a dead screen or just ignores it and boots into Windows. submitted by /u/-EUROBEAT- [link]...
  5. Can't boot after changing UEFI to Legacy from BIOS F2 menu.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot after changing UEFI to Legacy from BIOS F2 menu.: Toshiba satellite p75 A7200. Windows 10 is not recognized and i see empty black screen. How can i revert that change. Nothing gets booted. Toshiba logo is frozen. Hard drive detached goes to single underscore screen. No F button is working with windows 10 drive. Holding...
  6. CAN'T BOOT INTO BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN'T BOOT INTO BIOS: Hi. I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 to my Acer Aspire A515-52, running Windows 10, but I cannot Boot into the Bios, I tried repeatelly pressing the F2, F12 and even the delete Keys and nothing. Please help...
  7. Can't acess bios to change my boot procedures

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't acess bios to change my boot procedures: Did an update on pc...update failed. Unable to access setup, control panel...Attempted to access bios boot from flash drive (can't access bios at startup). Help!...
  8. Can't Boot into BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Boot into BIOS: I've tried every suggestion I've found on the internet, but no luck... Windows 10 lastest update. MSI Gaming Pro Carbon board with Ryzen 7 1700, using Ryzen power plan. When I first built this board I turned off the annoying MSI BIOS splash screen on startup, and now I guess...
  9. boot from disc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot from disc: With Windows 1803 and a Dell XPS 8300 I tried to boot from a flash drive I created with USB universal Installer and the ISO - Mint. I could not get it to boot either by just tapping F 12 and selecting it as I usually do or changing the boot order in the BIOS. I tried another...
  10. My problem is Bios, F12 and boot disc

in Windows 10 Support
    My problem is Bios, F12 and boot disc: Hello my Tohru am new to window 10, I am having a problem get my back up. I have Norton Ghost that is my boot Disc. I can't get it to work. Here are my issue Bios: Security Tab no up or down arrow to move in that bios. F12 no boot menu to boot to cd/dvd. Bootable disk is OEM...