Windows 10: Can't change default app from Acrobat Reader DC to Acrobat

Discus and support Can't change default app from Acrobat Reader DC to Acrobat in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am trying to use the default programs app on the control pabel to set Acrobat 9.5 as the default viewer for pdf files. I also have Acrobat Reader DC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by cormanaz, Sep 7, 2015.

1. cormanaz Win User

Can't change default app from Acrobat Reader DC to Acrobat

I am trying to use the default programs app on the control pabel to set Acrobat 9.5 as the default viewer for pdf files. I also have Acrobat Reader DC installed. Neither program appears on the "set your default programs" screen so I changed it on the file associations screen. But Reader DC is still opening the .pdf files by default. I checked back on the default programs app, and the associations screen still lists Reader DC as the default app. But when I click the change program button it asks me if I want to keep the association with Acrobat 9.5! (see screenshot). This is very odd. How to fix?

Can't change default app from Acrobat Reader DC to Acrobat [​IMG]

:)

cormanaz, Sep 7, 2015

2. Change default program from Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro

I do not get the option to Change default program from Adobe Acrobat Reader DC to Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, it only asks me to select Reader or look at the App Store? How do i change?

BryanJoyce, Sep 7, 2015
  3. JudyKube Win User
    How to change default programs on Windows 10?

I want to change the Acrobat Reader DC to the paid Adobe Acrobat Pro that I bought. In most cases of extensions it will not allow me to made the change from dc to my pro version. the Acrobat Reader DC continues to exhibit error messages every time it opens.
    So tired of try to find the fix for this.

When you paid for a software and you want to be the default it should be easy.

JudyKube, Sep 7, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

Question, why are you running older version of Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.5, then why would you install new version DC ? In control panel under Default Programs, select Set your Default Programs, Select the Program on left, then check box for PDF.

jds63, Sep 7, 2015
  5. cormanaz Win User
    It's Acrobat Pro, not reader. To be honest, I'm not sure how reader DC got on there. But as I said in the original post, neither program shows up on the default programs list, which is puzzling. I suppose I could just uninstall Reader DC, but it's odd that it thinks I have changed the association (see screenshot) but the association hasn't in fact been changed.

cormanaz, Sep 7, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Acrobat Pro is paid version. Other thing is, Adobe Reader 9.5 not probably compatible with Windows 10 and to me it's unsafe to use a product like this that is out of date (security risks) as it's back from 2010 this version. You can open the properties of PDF file by right clicking it, select change then select appropriate program. Truthfully you are better off with Adobe DC, newer and compatible, i use it with no issues as you are having, free version.

jds63, Sep 7, 2015
  7. mwillen Win User
    I was having the same problem. You need to change all of the extensions to Acrobat, not just .pdf. There is also .fdf, .xfdf, etc. Go to Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs>Set Default Programs and click on Reader, then click Choose defaults for this program at the bottom you'll see a list of the extensions that still have Reader as the default. They are checked but I wasn't able to make changes from that window - had to go back to the list of extensions and change each individually. Hope that helps.

mwillen, Sep 8, 2015
  8. mwillen Win User

Sorry, nevermind - I'm still having that same problem as you, cormanaz. Every other extension will switch to Acrobat except .pdf. If I can't figure it out relatively quickly, I'm just going to uninstall Reader.

mwillen, Sep 8, 2015
  9. jds63 Win User
    Question for you is, what version Reader are you using ? Same as Thread Starter version 9 ? I am using Adobe DC version and it works fine.

jds63, Sep 8, 2015
  10. BWC
    bwc Win User
    I have exactly the same problem... so I've uninstalled Reader: problem solved

11. AMS
    ams Win User
    If you want to make Acrobat your default program for PDF files, you need to bring up Acrobat and go the Edit/Preferences and then select General. At the bottom of the page you will see 'Select Default PDF handler'. Click on this and select Acrobat instead of Acrobat Reader. You will require a system reboot, but after that everything will be as you require.

12. SoFine409 Win User
    I'm having the same problem on one of my desktop PCs but this suggestion doesn't help. I've uninstalled Adobe Reader and reinstalled it twice but to no avail. The PC that I'm having the problem with is Win10 Pro but the one that is set up exactly the same but doesn't have the problem is Win10 Home. I wonder if that has anything to do with it

SoFine409, Nov 12, 2015
  13. AMS
    ams Win User

The solution I posted was made on Windows 10 Pro, so your problem may be something different. Are you trying to get the system to recognise a different version of Acrobat Reader? My problem was to change the default program for PDF files to Acrobat rather than Acrobat Reader.

14. SoFine409 Win User
    To clarify: With Adobe Reader and Acrobat Std (no Pro) installed on both PCs (a Win 10 Home and a Win 10 Pro), I can only change the default PDF app to Acrobat Std on the Win 10 Home PC. The Win 10 Pro PC will not keep the change. Tried use file associations, the preferences in Acrobat Reader, and reinstalling several times. From searching the Adobe Forums this is not an uncommon problem. I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with the differences between Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Home?

SoFine409, Nov 12, 2015
  15. AMS
    ams Win User
    OK, when I made the changes in the file associations for Windows 10, it accepted my change but then reverted to Acrobat Reader immediately. However, when I made the change in the preferences/General settings of Acrobat (Pro) the change is permanent, after a reboot of the system. I did not try making the change in the Preferences in Acrobat Reader. Before I made this change I had changed all the Adobe file type associations to Acrobat Pro (as per this forum), although this change alone did not work - the .pdf files type reverting to Acrobat Reader. I do not have a Windows 10 Home to try. Your system spec looks very similar to mine, so I cannot think of any reason why it shouldn't work on your Windows 10 Pro box. The only significant difference is the anti virus software.

Thema:

1. Can't change default app from Acrobat Reader DC to Acrobat - Similar Threads - Can't change default

2. Acrobat Reader DC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Acrobat Reader DC: How do you make ... Acrobat Reader DC ... my default reader?It was before something changed the default.I do not know where it was changed or how to change it back.Thanks for any help with this....
  3. Acrobat Reader DC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Acrobat Reader DC: How do you make ... Acrobat Reader DC ... my default reader?It was before something changed the default.I do not know where it was changed or how to change it back.Thanks for any help with this....
  4. Acrobat Reader DC

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. ADOBE ACROBAT READER DC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ADOBE ACROBAT READER DC: Hi, I've been getting popups from HP Solution Center that say ~ Solution Center has detected that you do not have the correct version of Adobe Flash Player for Internet Explorer installed. You can easily download and install this application for Internet Explorer at - AND...
  6. Adobe Acrobat reader DC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adobe Acrobat reader DC: Hi, Can anyone please advise how to get Acrobat reader DC to open on my PC. When I try to open the app a message comes up that the exe. file can't be found. I have uninstalled and re installed the app numerous times. Any advise please. Thanks...
  7. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC: February 11, 2020, Version 20.006.20034 This update addresses customer issues and security vulnerabilities. 150468
  8. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adobe Acrobat Reader DC: Hello I wont to Uninstall the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC A message comes up another programme is being installed please wait, this is just going on and on Help Please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adobe-acrobat-reader-dc/22826dea-57a7-446e-a437-43778c997e92
  9. Problem Acrobat Reader DC

Problem Acrobat Reader DC: My build is less than a year old and I am having issues with reading pdf files on Reader DC. This happens when I begin zooming in. Eventually the computer locks up. It happened first with a floor plan, but then I tried it even with just a manual. Again only happens when I...
  10. Adobe Acrobat Reader Dc query

in Windows 10 Support
    Adobe Acrobat Reader Dc query: Hi Guys I have Adobe Acrobat Reader Dc and hoped I could edit a pdf file by using it. Online, I read you need Adobe Acrobat to do so, is mine the same as I cannot edit, plus, I never paid for mine as I don't and Adobe Acrobat does not appear to be free online. 118997

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant change default acrobat reader win10 REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE