Windows 10: Cant change product key?

Discus and support Cant change product key? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; When I click on change product key, I got some sound, settings freeze, and thats it. Bug? 12407 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by johnnybgood, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Cant change product key?

When I click on change product key, I got some sound, settings freeze, and thats it.
    Bug?

:)

johnnybgood, Aug 3, 2015
  2. robshek Win User

n73 ie firmware

ive found the solution you have to change the product code for some reason ours cant update

robshek, Aug 3, 2015
  3. LCRT Win User
    update for my huawei ascend w1

You cant. Huawei has abandoned their products, which needed changes from huawei to support w8.1.

LCRT, Aug 3, 2015
  4. DKW
    DKW Win User

Cant change product key?

If you did an upgrade or a clean install, and it shows activated, you don't need to add a key or change the key.

5. I did upgrade from 8.1 but it still not activated. They still have problem with servers?

johnnybgood, Aug 3, 2015
  6. Bumping this thread - I'm having the same issue. The first day it allowed me to enter a new key (which still resulted in a C003C004 error), but now I get the same arpeggiated chord sound and the entire Settings window *locks up*. I have to quit the process by right clicking the taskbar. It's like there is a hidden error or alert window that you can't access to release the alert.

When looking at the key that is installed, it does not match the key from my W7 certificate. Note: this is a clean install of W10; I am upgrading to a new SSD as part of the change to W10, plus I really didn't want to transfer 5 years of cruft from W7.

Overzeetop, Aug 6, 2015
  7. Akash Win User
    I don't think so, I also had upgraded mine from Win7 and it got activated within minutes of connecting it to the Internet.

By the way, by which method you upgraded to Windows 10? If you upgraded it from Media Creation Tool or ISO file than are you sure that you had chosen correct edition to upgrade? Windows 8.1 can be upgraded to Windows 10 Home and Windows 8.1 Pro can be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, so did you upgraded in the correct way?

If you upgraded to the correct edition of Windows 10 and your Win8 was genuine than try this: put in the Command Prompts (as Admin)- slmgr.vbs /ato

Akash, Aug 6, 2015
  8. sam781 Win User

Cant change product key?

I'm facing the similar problem.
    I was using Win8.1 single language version which was genuine and activated as well. When Win 10 became available, I had downloaded win 10 single language version and installed accordingly. The problem is the windows is not getting activated. When I click on the change product key (update&settings--->Activation---Product key) button the windows freezes. I've checked the keys using show key script as given below -

Cant change product key? [​IMG]

Don't know how the installed key was installed. I didn't give input the key showing in the show key window screenshot.

I tied with cmd prompt (admin mode) C:\Windows\system32>slmgr /ipk JVDY9-
    it is not working... Error (0xC004F050) invalid product key

sam781, Aug 6, 2015
  9. teflon1 Win User
  10. sam781 Win User
    The issue resolved after doing the following -
    1. Back to windows8.1 and activate
    2. Do an upgrade using Win10 ISO (setup.exe) from the win8.1
    3. Laptop upgraded with Win10 activated
    4. Do a fresh installation with Win10 (using pendrive)
    5. Win10 auto activated in the laptop

sam781, Aug 10, 2015
  11. You should delete the key from the text, the one you have properly covered in the picture.

TairikuOkami, Aug 10, 2015
  12. I only registered because I am facing the same issue.

I would like to remind you that the thread title is "Can't change product key?".

If you had that problem you would have realized that the reason why we are trying to change the product key, is that Windows 10 says that it isn't activated and it tells you that you should change the product key. However, when you open Settings and click Change Product Key, Windows 10 freezes...

tedmanowar, Sep 6, 2015
  13. Shagam Win User

Cant change product key?

I solved the issue of Win10 freezing when I chose "Change Product Key"...here's how:
    --Open Settings and in the Search bar type "UAC"...open the resulting "User Account Control Settings"
    --Change the UAC settings to "Always Notify" (you can change this back when we're finished)
    --Go back to the "Change Product Key" button....viola! Win10 UAC prompts you about making changes, but the proper Change Product Key pane is displayed

This worked for me; I toggled my UAC settings back to custom when finished *Smile

Shagam, Sep 6, 2015
  14. Thanks man. I'm sure it will fix my issue, too. I kept seeing UAC UI in Task Manager after clicking Change Product Key, but the prompt wasn't visible. I'll give it a try as soon as I get back home.

tedmanowar, Sep 6, 2015
  15. Shagam Win User
    You're welcome - I registered just to document the answer to this stupid glitch *Smile I found that the second/third time I went to the "Change Product Key" I got a red-text warning about needing to be Administrator to Activate. I toggled UAC -again- back/forth and this did the trick...again.

It's not a bug, its a feature!

Shagam, Sep 6, 2015
Thema:

Cant change product key?

1. Cant change product key? - Similar Threads - Cant change product

2. Changing Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changing Product Key: I recently bought a digital key for Windows 10 , before that I was using a KMS IIRC. Now whenever I do slmgr /dlv to check if the key is changed I see it's still says "Partial Product Key : 6MT6Y" which I've looked up and someone said that it's just a generic key used for...
  3. Changing Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Product Key: I recently bought a digital key for Windows 10 , before that I was using a KMS IIRC. Now whenever I do slmgr /dlv to check if the key is changed I see it's still says "Partial Product Key : 6MT6Y" which I've looked up and someone said that it's just a generic key used for...
  4. Changing Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. CHANGING PRODUCT KEY

in Windows 10 Customization
    CHANGING PRODUCT KEY: Hello, I have a almost stupid question... If I change my PC's product key, will I lose all of my personal information/apps? I'm currently using a product key that was given to my boyfriend for his university, but it constantly has me change my password and won't let me...
  6. cant change windows 10 product key

in Windows 10 Customization
    cant change windows 10 product key: I cant change my product key - [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-windows-10-product-key/a83606f2-60c4-47c6-93d7-bc9786e6f8ee
  7. Cant Delete Product Key

Cant Delete Product Key: [ATTACH]Hi all, I'm having trouble deleting my product key, why am I doing this? Because I accidentally bought an illegal license, and I always try to delete my product key by entering the code slmgr.vbs / upk in cmd, and when I restart, the license keeps coming back, is...
  8. change product key

change product key: i can't find the 25 digits to change the product key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-product-key/c1055548-6369-42ba-9073-fa109cd71145"
  9. Change Product Key

Change Product Key: II have a product key for windows pro. When I go into Settings to change product key from Home to PRO, It asks for Product Key which is filled in with X's and 0's. When I try to enter my product key it will not let me enter my key. As soon as I try to enter the first...
  10. Cant verify product key?

Cant verify product key?: I recently got a pre-owned desktop computer and i got a new hard drive in it but i cannot activate windows, i have entered my product key but every time i do i keep getting the same response "We couldn't verify the product key. Please check you installation media." I don't...