Windows 10: Cant change StartMenu settings from previous Win7 install

Discus and support Cant change StartMenu settings from previous Win7 install in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I upgraded to Windows 10, it did the in-place upgrade but I now have a problem, in my Win7 install I had my startmenu set so that 0 recent apps were... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by hunterk11, Jun 3, 2015.

1. hunterk11 Win User

Cant change StartMenu settings from previous Win7 install

So I upgraded to Windows 10, it did the in-place upgrade but I now have a problem, in my Win7 install I had my startmenu set so that 0 recent apps were displayed, only the apps I pinned were. Now on my Windows 10 it seems like this setting has carried over except the left side of my startmenu has no apps, since it only lists recent apps.

Is this a bug in Windows 10 or is this a setting that carried over? If anyone knows where the setting is stored in the registry or where I can manually change it, since the setting page for it has been removed.

:)

hunterk11, Jun 3, 2015
  2. LauriG21 Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu

Just installed that **** too. I came from win7 and liked that my my new startmenu was pretty similar. Now there is this shitty column in the middle which I'll never use because you cant find **** in there and the buttons on the left are too small to hit.
    Why dont they just give us the option to deactivate that thing?

LauriG21, Jun 3, 2015
  3. Ram Jano Win User
    Problem with Start Menu, Sound, Search and Network on Windows 10 computer.

Old title: Cant do anything in windows 10 startmenu

Hello everyone

I have windows 10

From 1 month i cant do anything in the startmenu

for example: Edit wifi network, The sound, Open Start, Search, etc..

what i do now ??

Ram Jano, Jun 3, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

You have to click All Apps to see your installed apps. You can disable Recently used apps in settings under Personalization->Start. You can also configure what else is displayed in the Customized List setting. there are a number of toggles for what to display.

I'm not sure what bug you're referring to exactly, since your post was a bit confusing.

Mystere, Jun 3, 2015
  5. hunterk11 Win User
    Cant change StartMenu settings from previous Win7 install [​IMG]
    The left side is empty, on my laptop that is also running this area is populated with recent apps. I am assuming it is because my start menu settings on Win7 had been to not show any recent applications on the start menu. I can no longer access that setting on windows 10. Is there another way to get the area populated again.

hunterk11, Jun 3, 2015
  6. You're going to have to adjust your Start Menu references. No, there isn't a setting for that ... you have to think a little bit differently. *Wink

Think of the right hand side as your pinned programs. That's what they are: pined to Start
    - it looks as though you have that figured out though.

Click on the Gear Settings to do most of the configuration changes you
    Settings > Personalization > Start might have the switches you're looking for.
    There are a lot of things going on with Start and it throws some fits in 10.130 - minor but annoying issues.

Look around settings, and look around Tenforums.

Lots of good stuff in the Tutorials section:
    Windows 10 Tutorials

Slartybart, Jun 3, 2015
  7. hunterk11 Win User
    I found a setting to show recent apps, toggled it on and off, I'll see if it starts populating.

hunterk11, Jun 3, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

Yes, as I said, you can change that in Settings, under Personalization->Start.

I'm confused what you're really wanting though, it sounded like you WANT the recent apps disabled, but now it sounds like you don't.

The Pinned apps in the start menu in Windows 7 are now on the right hand side where the tiles are. That's what "Pin to start" does now.

Mystere, Jun 3, 2015
  9. hunterk11 Win User
    I see how the first post was confusing, what I want it to do is this:
    Cant change StartMenu settings from previous Win7 install [​IMG]
    The Most used section. This is off of my laptop which was a fresh win10 install.

hunterk11, Jun 3, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    Then you can turn it on in Settings under Personalization->Start->Store and Display Recently Used Programs In Start (the second switch from the top)

Mystere, Jun 3, 2015
  11. hunterk11 Win User
    That setting has no effect for me, it is on by default and even toggling does not work. =(

hunterk11, Jun 3, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    You may need to reboot for it take effect.

Also, check the value of this registry setting:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "Start_TrackProgs"=dword:00000002

If this is set to 0 or 1, change it to 2. If it doesn't exist, then it would mean you have that switch turned off. If it's on and it doesn't exist, try creating the key. Again, you may need to reboot.

Mystere, Jun 3, 2015
  13. hunterk11 Win User

I rebooted after changing that switch and changed the key to 2 (it was 0) did another reboot and still nothing =(

hunterk11, Jun 3, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    Recheck that it didn't get reset to 0 when you closed the settings window. Also, try 1.

You may also want to try creating another User and seeing if that user has a correctly working start.

Mystere, Jun 3, 2015
  15. hunterk11 Win User
    So I believe setting it to 1 worked, I will report back if it stays but I do have the most used section. Not sure if it is populating right though.

hunterk11, Jun 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Cant change StartMenu settings from previous Win7 install - Similar Threads - Cant change StartMenu

2. cant install .net4.8 in win7 ultimate sp1 32bit installed in IPC from Siemens.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant install .net4.8 in win7 ultimate sp1 32bit installed in IPC from Siemens.: I cannot install Net4.8 in Win7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit installed in the IPC from Siemens.Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-net48-in-win7-ultimate-sp1-32bit/56c2a808-9844-437d-bd14-44dfb23839b1
  3. cant install .net4.8 in win7 ultimate sp1 32bit installed in IPC from Siemens.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant install .net4.8 in win7 ultimate sp1 32bit installed in IPC from Siemens.: I cannot install Net4.8 in Win7 Ultimate SP1 32-bit installed in the IPC from Siemens.Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-net48-in-win7-ultimate-sp1-32bit/56c2a808-9844-437d-bd14-44dfb23839b1
  4. boot device blocked. cant install win7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot device blocked. cant install win7: hello. im trying to install windows 7 ultimate on a legion. the bios and boot manager doesnt workboot manager: blocks itbios: does nothingplease help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-device-blocked-cant-install-win7/3ea80a70-8a70-45ce-b44d-4c6f4a34065a
  5. boot device blocked. cant install win7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot device blocked. cant install win7: hello. im trying to install windows 7 ultimate on a legion. the bios and boot manager doesnt workboot manager: blocks itbios: does nothingplease help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-device-blocked-cant-install-win7/3ea80a70-8a70-45ce-b44d-4c6f4a34065a
  6. How to Change Folder Icons in StartMenu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Change Folder Icons in StartMenu?: is it possible? or does Anyone knows how i change those Icons there? (marked RED).. I want to change them systemwide not one by one.. if that is possible, like changing the ICO in the DLLs for example, but i couldnt find this ICO in any of those DLLs.. Anyone knows wich ico...
  7. I cant install firefox and change proxy setting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I cant install firefox and change proxy setting: I cant instsal fire fox and change proxy setting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/%D9%81%D8%A7%DB%8C%D8%B1-%D9%81%D8%A7%DA%A9%D8%B3/5860229a-288f-4f5d-8a7b-c0d7bea48c57
  8. Windows startmenu and settings not responding

Windows startmenu and settings not responding: I have a update pending, but i cant select to restart to update or shutdown to update, the start menu and anything to do with any settings isnt responding, only way to shut down my laptop is to push the power button to shutdown without updating... whenever i click on...
  9. cant change any settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cant change any settings: when i try and change my privacy and online safety settings it comes up with "An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later." can someone help me and tell me a way of fixing this?...
  10. unable to make change in startmenu.

unable to make change in startmenu.: i pin some app in start but when i shut down my pc and run it again i get the start like new one, none of changes appear made by me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/unable-to-make-change-in-startmenu/a093b77b-eb65-43fa-9d9d-d73244dd049a