Windows 10: Can't change User name

Discus and support Can't change User name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; After I installed Windows 10, I created a Microsoft online account to see what it was like. During the process, it changed the name on my local Windows... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Ziggy, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Ziggy Win User

Can't change User name

After I installed Windows 10, I created a Microsoft online account to see what it was like. During the process, it changed the name on my local Windows 10 user account. I used Control Panel to go to Users, but there seemed to be no way to change the name back to the original. It's the only account on the computer. Surely changing the name is possible, but how? Will I have to create a new administrator account and delete the old one?

:)

Ziggy, Jul 30, 2015

2. How to change User account name on Windows 10?

Wanted to change my user name and can't find the change user name link.

CherylePauley, Jul 30, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    user name change

Hi afshinsamimi, Windows 10 is different to previous versions of Windows . . .

While you can change the name on your User Profile in the Settings app, the name on the user profile folder will not change - Windows prevents that!

The only option you have is to create a new User Profile in the Settings App

Log into that new profile and copy over your data from the old user profiles folder

Then remove the old user profile:

To remove the old Profile, click your Start Button, type netplwiz and hit Enter

Select the old profile and click 'Remove'

DaveM121, Jul 30, 2015
  4. mike00 Win User

Can't change User name

mike00, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Chronia Win User
    I have a similar problem. While I was able to rename the profile the user folders still have the old name and the solution offered in the link provided by mike00 warns to NOT use the regedit for windows 10 because it will just mess everything up and not work properly. Is there a way to have these folders match the new name of the profile? Seems silly they don't get changed as well.

Chronia, Nov 9, 2015
  6. cfoam Win User
    You guys can try and see what works but for me this is absurd that microshaft would decide on there own that they should change ANYTHING on MY PC without my authorization! This is complete bullcrap! Seems like they will just scare everyone into accepting this bs and hold us and our computers all hostage to whatever new marketing bs they come up with. NOT ME! When I couldn't even log in this morning due to the fact they decided I should use a microshaft login I created more than 5 years ago for a one time thing... and I couldn't even access MY OWN COMPUTER AND Changed user directy names again without any authorization I'm mad as hell. This is a complete disregard for the installed base of customers!!! I will NEVER buy another microshaft product!!!! LINUX HERE I COME!

cfoam, Jan 14, 2016
  7. charl Win User
    Seems to me, there are numerous problems with win 10 user accounts.

Changed some use accounts win 10, just to try it.

What I learned is bungled logins.

What I learned is change my wallpaper to my old win 8.1 wallpaper.

Just by change of user account.

Looks to me, like win 10 was designed to keep users away.

my 2 cents

charl, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't change User name

1. Can't change User name - Similar Threads - Can't change User

2. I can't change my user name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't change my user name: I'm the administrator for my PC and yet when I go to "User Accounts" and select my profile there is nothing in the place that should read "Change User Name." I can't change my user name on this PC. It's set on "User" after reinstalling Windows and it shows my Microsoft...
  3. I can't change my user name

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't change my user name: I'm the administrator for my PC and yet when I go to "User Accounts" and select my profile there is nothing in the place that should read "Change User Name." I can't change my user name on this PC. It's set on "User" after reinstalling Windows and it shows my Microsoft...
  4. Can't change user name is C:\Users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change user name is C:\Users: I'm using Windows 11 Home Single LanguageVersion 21H2I clean installed this OS and while installation I used my registered email ID.Now I noticed that C:\Users\ has a folder with wrong spelling of my name that I would like to change.I tried to rename it in safe mode and by...
  5. Can't change user name is C:\Users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change user name is C:\Users: I'm using Windows 11 Home Single LanguageVersion 21H2I clean installed this OS and while installation I used my registered email ID.Now I noticed that C:\Users\ has a folder with wrong spelling of my name that I would like to change.I tried to rename it in safe mode and by...
  6. Can't change user name, WHY?

Can't change user name, WHY?: My current user name is "james" and I want to change it to "blob". I went to my account settings and changed it as follows" [ATTACH] Then I clicked "apply", and restarted the PC. But nothing changed! Why? What am I doing wrong? [ATTACH]...
  7. user name can't change or delete

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    user name can't change or delete: when I log in for first time on new PC , I log in using new user name , after one month I change the user name for another , but is still see the old user name appear on all files Attached is example : i can't remove user name : homam even it's not active how to delete...
  8. I can't change my user name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't change my user name: [ATTACH]I've tried many things to change it but the name is unable to be renamed which I'm looking to change I should also add this is for the C:\users folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-change-my-user-name/82cec765-5f68-44fc-9a59-49357f341167"
  9. Change user name and user folder name

Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  10. CHANGING USER NAMES

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CHANGING USER NAMES: Am using Windows 10 on two different laptops which, when in use are logged into the same MS account. I have a particular piece of software on each laptop where I want to set the backup path to my OneDrive, however, the path on each laptop differs slightly, as follows:...