Windows 10: Can't Choose Any Browser To be My Default Browser

Discus and support Can't Choose Any Browser To be My Default Browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello Guys After a while of using the new Windows 10 I faced a problem . when any program in the Desktop wonna redirect me to some internet page... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by MrZoldiK, Sep 22, 2016.

1. MrZoldiK Win User

Can't Choose Any Browser To be My Default Browser

Hello Guys

After a while of using the new Windows 10 I faced a problem .
    when any program in the Desktop wonna redirect me to some internet page the system say " How you wonna open this webset ? " . and in normal case it will give the Choose to use any Browser App I have but i can't see any app to use even Edge
    so i can't go to the page , when i went to the default app page in the setting , i saw that web browser default app is clear and no app is selected i tried to select Edge or Internet browser but nothing changed it still clear , i can't choose any app to be my default browser .
    you must know that i downloaded this apps before this problem , Chrome , torch , and FireFox , i think this problem happened after FireFox the last app downloaded

sorry for this Long article.

:)

MrZoldiK, Sep 22, 2016

2. Can't choose Edge as my default browser

this still don't solve my issue... after that powershell thing too I cannot make edge my default browser. In my case I can see two chrome browsers for default but no matter what I select when I search through Cortana it opens internet explorer , nor chrome
    neither edge. please help me

Pankaj Prajapati, Sep 22, 2016
  3. Can't choose Edge as my default browser

Try this:

Right-click on your desktop and select New > Text Document. It will create an icon and you will be able to type in the "document's" name (you're not really going to create a text document).

Name the icon fred.html (or anything, really, as long as .html appears at the end). When you change the name, you will get a warning about changing the extension, verify that you want to change the name (click "Yes").

Now right-click on the icon you made, a menu will pop up, click on "Open With..." but DO NOT click on Edge. Below the listed browsers click on "Choose Another App."

In the screen that appears, first check "Always use this app to open .html files," then click on the browser of your choice. If the browser you want does not appear, there is an option to search your hard drive for the directory where it was installed,
    then choose the file that you think is the correct executable. If it doesn't work, try again and choose another -- you will eventually get the right executable if you keep trying and are looking in the right folder.

"What's an 'executable'?" It's a file that ends in ".exe".

"What's the right folder?" It's probably in C:\Program Files\ and is the name of your chosen browser.

"I don't see .exe or .html or .txt at the end of any file names." Google how to show extensions for known file types. It's a easily-accessible setting in Windows Explorer.

When you're done, you can delete the icon you created. I used to work at Microsoft but they paid for suck, so I got a different job.

ChaosOrdeal, Sep 22, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, please see
    Default Apps - Choose in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    E.g. Option 6
    Then Option 7 and check http and https are set to your new default browser.

I recall some people had a problem with Chrome so if you use that, please search the forum for (e.g.)
    solved set Chrome default browser

dalchina, Sep 22, 2016
  5. MrZoldiK Win User
    Thanks for the reply .

I tried all of this methods , I know how to change the default browser , it was working in the past but now not !
    see the photos I uploaded to Explain the Problem and to see what I do .

thanks again

MrZoldiK, Sep 23, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 23, 2016
  7. lvgandhi Win User
  8. swarfega Win User

I had this problem but it went away when I reset the default programs and it accepted it then.

swarfega, Sep 23, 2016
  9. TairikuOkami, Sep 23, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    I'd prefer to suggest uninstalling Chrome- if there's some sort of conflict, maybe that as some have had difficulty setting it as default.

dalchina, Sep 23, 2016
  11. MrZoldiK Win User
    Yes this problem just for the browser , I will try your solution .

MrZoldiK, Sep 23, 2016
  12. MrZoldiK Win User
    MrZoldiK, Sep 23, 2016
  13. winlary Win User

After literally hours of frustration, I stumbled onto this:
    I went from 'Control Panel' to 'Default Programs' to 'Set Program access and computer defaults'. There are 3 radio buttons: Θ Microsoft WindowsΘ Non-MicrosoftΘ CustomI chose 'Non-Microsoft', which allowed me to set Google Chrome as my default web browser.I also un-checked the box across from Internet Explorer which said 'Enable access to this program.'
    Voilá -- Google Chrome shows up as the default in the 'Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program' screen.

winlary, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Choose Any Browser To be My Default Browser - Similar Threads - Can't Choose Browser

2. Can't set any browser as the default browser instead of MS Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't set any browser as the default browser instead of MS Edge in Windows 10: Can't change the default browser https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-any-browser-as-the-default-browser/29c54e57-06dd-48ca-9883-13d71614fc47
  3. Can't set any browser as the default browser instead of MS Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't set any browser as the default browser instead of MS Edge in Windows 10: Can't change the default browser https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-any-browser-as-the-default-browser/29c54e57-06dd-48ca-9883-13d71614fc47
  4. default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default browser: Was using edge but after seeing how you change the default browser settings, I'll never use it again.Going back to chrome. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-browser/4723a7df-2e34-4e4a-85cc-588ce3500c1b
  5. Can't change my default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't change my default browser: I've recently been attacked by a malware/virus. After that, a lot of things stopped working. My Opera GX browser ceased to open even after reinstalling, so I deleted. I can still use chrome and microsoft edge, so that problem was solved. The main problem right now is I can't...
  6. Choosing a default web browser

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Choosing a default web browser: Since people using Windows 10 were given the right to choose the default browser we wanted, Microsoft should provide a way to install IE11 Microsoft should provide an alternative download? So, where is the Alternative?? Ruth 801...
  7. Default Browser . . .

Default Browser . . .: My computer, is a. Dell laptop running, Windows 10 pro . . . Boy, did I screw up . . . I have, many different browsers, on my computer . . . Google Chrome, Firefox, Ice Dragon. And not, Internet Explorer. Or, so I thought? Ice Dragon, was my default browser. But, it kept...
  8. Default Browser . . .

Default Browser . . .: I have a Dell laptop, running Windows 10 pro. I use Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and, Comodo Ice Dragon, browsers. I use, Comodo Ice Dragon, as my default browser. My question is, is it possible To use, a different browser for different things? For...
  9. Cannot choose default browser

Cannot choose default browser: I know how to set the default browser in Windows 10. Settings>Apps>Default apps. A recent update to Windows 10 has locked in MS Edge as my default browser. I cannot choose any other browser including IE11. I want Firefox to be my default browser. Also NONE of the following...
  10. Default Browser

Default Browser: Hi Good evening I am trying to set up my new desktop and I have the following question. Which browser should be the default? I need to have java and flash installed. And I decide which one to use, do I delete the...