Windows 10: Can't click start or search with new update.

Discus and support Can't click start or search with new update. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I managed to update the Windows to the last version, but now when I want to click here: [img] Task View opens, but search and start does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by martinvox, Nov 17, 2015.

1. martinvox Win User

Can't click start or search with new update.

Hello, I managed to update the Windows to the last version, but now when I want to click here:

Can't click start or search with new update. [​IMG]

Task View opens, but search and start does not.

I had to take a photo because I cannot open paint, since I can't open the start menu.

Anyone knows why ? This happened after updating to the last build.

:)

martinvox, Nov 17, 2015

2. Installed windows 10 but can't search or click windows button

Hi Jack,

There can be many reasons for booting to a black screen/flickering. The main causes observed are: problems with the driver for your display adapter; or the video output is being sent to an unexpected port; or there is a problem with the
    Lock Screen app. Please try these steps first if you’re booting to a black screen:

If you see the black screen or have a flickering screen before sign-in:

• Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent to a different display adapter or different output (such as from HDMI to DVI, or DisplayPort to VGA).
      Or try projecting the output to a different monitor by pressing the Windows logo key and the P key at the same time, and then press P again and hit Enter.
      Repeat this 4 times to cycle through the screen options.
    • Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video to fix the display adapter driver.
      • Windows may automatically boot to the Recovery Environment after 3 unsuccessful attempts in a row.
        If it doesn’t, insert Windows 10 installation media and boot to the media to enter the Recovery Environment.
        You can create Windows 10 installation media from another computer using the
        Media Creation Tool.
      • Once you are within the Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, and then
        Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and
        Restart
        . When it restarts, you should see a number of options.
        Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking (or try Low Resolution Video).
      • Open Device Manager and expand Display Adapters.
        • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, right-click the integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200), select
          Disable and then restart your computer. If that doesn’t work, return to the Display adapter, re-enable the display adapter, and then disable the other adapter.
        • If you only see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.

• Check Windows Update or the display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.
        We are seeing updated drivers from all of the major video chipset manufacturers. So the best driver will often be only days old.
    If you see the black screen only after signing in
    and you can see a mouse cursor:

• While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
    • If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.
      If this resolves the black screen, then the Lock Screen app likely has damaged files.
      To repair the damaged files, right-click on the Start button and then click Command Prompt (Admin).
      In the command prompt window, type the following command and hit Enter:
    Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

When it is finished, then type the command:

Sfc /scannow

And when this is finished, re-register the Lock Screen app by typing the command:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register

"$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

3. If this does not work, there may be a problem with the user account.
    To test this, create a new user by typing the following commands in the same Administrator CMD window (changing “<password>” to something of your choice):

net user test <password> /add

net localgroup Administrators test /add

4. This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if you have a corrupted user profile.

Navneet Anand, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Installed windows 10 but can't search or click windows button

I've installed Windows 10 and am having a lot of issues. All of my old files were put in the users file in C:, I cannot left click the home or search button in the taskbar and I can't search in control panel or file explorer. Also the graphics are bad with
    lots of pixelation and flickering. I'm seeing this a lot but no solutions have been offered as far as I can find.

Thanks a lot!

JackKeefer, Nov 17, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Suggestions :

1. Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter.
    At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line ( to avoid typo it's best to apply Copy/paste method)......
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

2. Create another user account with exactly the same account type > logon to it and see if you have the same problem or not.

P.S. This is not a solution, but give this a try...........
    Right click at an open spot of the desktop > select Personalize > left side, click Start > right side, scroll to "Use Start full screen" and turn it to ON. Does Start Menu open up ?

davidhk, Nov 17, 2015
  5. martinvox Win User
    I rebooted the PC and it works now. But after the last update windows became very very slow.

martinvox, Nov 17, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    Sorry. I don't know how to fix the "slowness" issue.

davidhk, Nov 17, 2015
  7. martinvox Win User
    No problem, thanks for your help. I'm gonna do a clean format tomorrow.

martinvox, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't click start or search with new update. - Similar Threads - Can't click start

2. Can't type in Start menu nor click the search box next to it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't type in Start menu nor click the search box next to it: The tray also randomly appears, even when in a fullscreen application. It seems to be consistent and always refreshes when it appears. I tried using the Virtual Agent and the Troubleshooter, with no success. I have no idea what caused this, it started randomly yesterday, and...
  3. Can't type in Start menu nor click the search box next to it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't type in Start menu nor click the search box next to it: The tray also randomly appears, even when in a fullscreen application. It seems to be consistent and always refreshes when it appears. I tried using the Virtual Agent and the Troubleshooter, with no success. I have no idea what caused this, it started randomly yesterday, and...
  4. Can't type in Start menu nor click the search box next to it

in Cortana
  5. Start Menu can't be clicking

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Start Menu can't be clicking: I have a lot of client they come with issue the can't do any left click activities start menu, all icon on the bar and another issue I see it comes with this issue outlook and OneDrive losing the license and the user account doesn't have Info icon to sync the AD policies...
  6. Start Menu can't be clicking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu can't be clicking: I have a lot of client they come with issue the can't do any left click activities start menu, all icon on the bar and another issue I see it comes with this issue outlook and OneDrive losing the license and the user account doesn't have Info icon to sync the AD policies...
  7. Start Menu can't be clicking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can't click on Apps I search in search bar .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't click on Apps I search in search bar .: Hello, so recently I resetted my laptop because I wanted to organize my files from the start. One issue I found was finding apps like twitch and telegram in the search bar . But I could not open, it simply won't open . The icon is also not the icon, it's like a default icon...
  9. Can't click on "Check for Updates" "Windows Update settings" on Start

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't click on "Check for Updates" "Windows Update settings" on Start: So I have this weird thing happening in my relatively fresh install of Windows 10. Whenever I search for "Check for Updates" or "Windows Update settings" on the search box of the start menu, I get the results that I want but if I press enter or try to click on those results...
  10. Can't click "Best Match" on Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click "Best Match" on Start Menu Search: Hi, Today my "Control Panel" apps/shortcuts on the Start Menu search have stopped working. Happened half way through the morning after installing a new printer. Examples: [img] None of the above items work when clicked (except the items which cause a menu, e.g....