Windows 10: 'Can't Complete Update'

Discus and support 'Can't Complete Update' in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am the custodian of several Lenovo laptop Computers for a Charity. They are installed with Win 8.1 and have operated satisfactorily for 12 months. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by jcbhydro, Jul 3, 2016.

1. jcbhydro Win User

'Can't Complete Update'

I am the custodian of several Lenovo laptop Computers for a Charity. They are installed with Win 8.1 and have operated satisfactorily for 12 months.
    I have successfully upgraded 3 of these units to Win 10, although each has taken about 12 hours to load and install the Important Updates and Win 10. The previous updates were performed many months earlier or never.

On following the same procedure on a further identical unit, it again proceeds for many hours before displaying the message 'Cannot complete updates, Undoing Changes, Do not switch off the computer'. This message has been displayed for more than 12 hours and is obviously stuck in a loop. If I ignore the message and switch off, what will be the consequence? Will I be able to attempt a restore to pre-update status.

In addition are there any precautions I should take prior to a further attempt to run the Windows update procedure. I have read elsewhere of the need to uninstall 3rd party virus checkers and firewalls. Windows Defender is already disabled.

Any assistance would be gratefully received, particularly as I have to repeat the process on several more laptop units.

Regards,

jccbhydro

:)

jcbhydro, Jul 3, 2016

2. Can't complete updates

Hi Robert,

It seems that you are having a software conflict. To isolate your concern, we would like to get more information.

1. Are you getting an error message?

2. What have you done so far to resolve the issue?

Please run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:

Download it from this link.

We will be waiting for your response.

Karina Aris, Jul 3, 2016
  3. Can't complete updates

In my windows 10 computer when I start it I get "getting windows ready" and "working on updates" after it shows the updates are 100% complete it then says "couldn't complate updates" "undoing changes" and then restarts followed by "getting windows ready"
    couldn't complete updates" "undoing changes". It will finaly restart.This has gone on for two , every day!!

RobertHale1, Jul 3, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

'Can't Complete Update'

If you are using a Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD to upgrade to Windows 10, there is no need to do all the Windows 8/8.1 updates first. You can skip those hours. As you said, uninstall - not just turn off - all third party antivirus/anti-malware/anti-virus programs. I like to do a good disk cleanup using option 2 before the upgrade:
    Disk Cleanup - Open and Use in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

It works with Windows 8 too, and I believe Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Jul 3, 2016
  5. jcbhydro Win User
    Thank you for your comment.
    Even when I turn off power to the laptop and switch on again after a minute or two, the 'Cannot complete' message is re-displayed.
    I haave been using the Microsoft free upgrade and as I stated it worked perfectly well, although very slowly, on 3 identical units.
    How do I get the macine to re-boot in 'Safe Mose' to attempt a Restore procedure.

regards,

jcbhydro, Jul 3, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can still do the Microsoft free upgrade from a Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD. Use the Media Creation Tool to make one:
    Windows 10

Scroll down to Download Tool Now. You will discover it is many, many times faster than the online upgrade. Do not boot from the USB flash drive or DVD. Insert it with the old Operating System running and then run setup.exe from the flash drive or DVD.

To boot into safe mode, if it is still the Windows 8 boot loader, you would tap F8 as soon as the bios logo disappears in the boot sequence. If it is the Windows 10 boot loader then the very brute force way of forcing to boot into safe mode is to do a hard power off (hold down the power key) as soon as the Windows logo appears. Do that three times. The 4 power on sequence should boot into safe mode.

NavyLCDR, Jul 3, 2016
  7. gijoetech1, Jul 3, 2016
  8. jcbhydro Win User

'Can't Complete Update'

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions.
    I have managed to restore the laptop to its' pre-calamity status of Win 8.1, but I still can;t fathom the cause.

I have also dowwnloaded the Media Creation Tool onto a flash drive andd am optimistic that this will enable me to upgrade the remaining laptop units in less than 12 hours each.

Regards,

jcbhydro, Jul 4, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I hope you mean that you created a USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool? You have to run the MCT on a computer and let it create a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive.

NavyLCDR, Jul 4, 2016
  10. jcbhydro Win User
    Yes, it was an USB Flash Drive and it worked very well.

Many thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

Regards,

jcbhydro, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

'Can't Complete Update'

1. 'Can't Complete Update' - Similar Threads - 'Can't Complete Update'

2. Windows 10 can't complete update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 can't complete update: I can't get my Razer Blade 15 2021 edition to update windows. I've tried normal updates, using the Windows 10 upgrade .exe, the media creation tool, following all the troubleshooting guides and I keep getting error 0x80070003....
  3. Windows 10 can't complete update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 can't complete update: I can't get my Razer Blade 15 2021 edition to update windows. I've tried normal updates, using the Windows 10 upgrade .exe, the media creation tool, following all the troubleshooting guides and I keep getting error 0x80070003....
  4. Windows 10 can't complete update

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows Updates can't complete Error 0x800703e6

Windows Updates can't complete Error 0x800703e6: Hi there,The last time Windows Updates were able to successfully install was on ‎2/‎19/‎2021. Now, every time I try to run updates, I get this message almost immediately after telling it to update:There were problems downloading some updates, but we'll try again later. If you...
  6. Windows Updates can't complete

Windows Updates can't complete: I finished reinstalling Windows onto my new SSD and I was able to setup Windows without any problems. However, after a few days I got a normal windows update, tried installing, failed. I thought to myself, "I'll just wait till the next update and hope that one works" still...
  7. currently can't complete the update in time

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    currently can't complete the update in time: Yes I have a question about Windows 10 anniversary update I just recently purchased of lenovo ideapad110 and upgraded to Windows 10 anniversary when I bought the computer all week ago I already had Windows 10 home already on them after I downloaded it and installed it's been...
  8. Windows can't complete update

Windows can't complete update: I keep getting notifications that Windows is going to do wonderful updates and when I tell it to "Restart Now" it goes through a process and then says "We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes, Don't turn off your computer." That's all it ever does, every day...
  9. Computer can't complete any updates

Computer can't complete any updates: My Dell XPS 15 that I've had for 4 months now doesn't update successfully. It has been like this for the past 2 months. It shipped with Windows 10 loaded. When a cumulative update for Windows 10 became available last September, my computer automatically downloaded this...
  10. Windows can't complete Update

Windows can't complete Update: All of a sudden I'm having trouble with Windows Update. Every time I shut down my computer Windows tells me it's updating and don't turn off the computer. It does its thing and then shuts down, as usual. Then when boot the computer up Windows tells me it is completing the...