Windows 10: Can't connect to laptop on network but laptop can connect to all other

Discus and support Can't connect to laptop on network but laptop can connect to all other in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Checked:- All updates downloaded and applied on all machines. Laptop File & Printer sharing is turned on. Both HDs on the laptop are set up for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oldcelt, May 31, 2017.

1. oldcelt Win User

Can't connect to laptop on network but laptop can connect to all other

Checked:-
    All updates downloaded and applied on all machines.
    Laptop File & Printer sharing is turned on.
    Both HDs on the laptop are set up for sharing on the network with Everyone having all permissions.

Teamviewer 12 can access the laptop from my desktop with no problems and vice-versa!

Attempts to list the disks and files of the laptop from the desktop using Windows Explorer throw up a cannot connect error and the 'Diagnose' option fails to give any useful information.

Unfortunately, the only answers I've been able to find are way out of date - anyone with recent experience please?

:)

oldcelt, May 31, 2017

2. Can't connect to my home Wi-Fi.

My laptop cannot connect to my house network. When I hit the wireless network that I want to connect it says: "Checking network requirements." After that it only says "Can't connect to this network." My laptop can connect to other networks no problem.
    And, my roommate's mac, my phone, my ps3 can connect to the network all except my laptop. Please help.

AquilesKunhardt, May 31, 2017
  3. shayjanis Win User
    New laptop can connect to all wifi signals but my office, What should I do?

Hi,

So I bought a new Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR gen F yesterday, worked great at home.

When I came into my office today, I went to connect to our wifi, and for some reason it wasn't connecting, but both of my phones and the desktop were able to connect with no issues, so I tried rebooting both the modem and my laptop and reconnecting. No Luck.

Next I turned on my mobile hotspot on my phone and connected with ease, now I've gone through every basic troubleshooting solution to no avail (Do not have an ethernet cable available nor admin access to network settings.)

I'm thinking it has to do with my firewall or having to manually connect through IP, but have no clue what to do, couldn't find anything online regarding my situation.

Any ideas?

shayjanis, May 31, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. You say the drive is shared the whole drive? That is a disaster waiting to happen it ideal for an Ransomes are malware etc you only share folders needed. You set permission for everyone on the share but that's only part of it as then NTFS permission kicks in and if you don't have rights on NTFS you get nowhere

Samuria, May 31, 2017
  5. oldcelt Win User
    Thanks for your comments which, unfortunately, do not address the problem.

I have, BTW, been in the business since before IBM even coined the phrase "Personal Computer". *Wink

oldcelt, May 31, 2017
  6. Cuffy Win User
    Me too........... punch cards come to mind........... ?

Your problem.............

I had an old 32bit P4 upgrade last night when I wasn't looking !

It's a test/ spare machine, seldom used, but part of my home network.... workgroup really....

It wasn't showing shares on my main machine.

Spent too much time trying to find a fix.... finally mounted the ISO for ver. 1603 and ran setup for an over the top install. The install went without a hitch and I had ver 1603 instead of the new ver 1707 but still no shares on my main machine showing..........

More pondering, and pounding, until I spotted an item on the menu on This PC page..........
    "Add a Network location"
    a box opens... give us the location
    I typed in Win1064
    box says we need share ??
    I added Win1064 /users......
    all shares on Win1064 popped up under Network....... Win1064

That's my story and I'm sticking to it !!

I had used that item on the menu before and wound up with a shortcut in brackets on the root, C: and not in Network folder where it belonged ????

Cuffy, Jun 1, 2017
  7. oldcelt Win User
    Thanks for your suggestion - I'll look into the possibility - strange things happen in W10 from time to time! *Sad

oldcelt, Jun 1, 2017
  8. Can't connect to laptop on network but laptop can connect to all other

I have an issue with Creators Update that impacts the network shares on a few machines. One temp fix I found to work for me:

On CPU1, I went to the network adapter properties, unchecked the file and print sharing. Close it. and then went back in and rechecked it, and now I can access CPU1 shares from CPU2

Here is a thread on this issue:

Anyone else notice the network issues with Windows 10 Creators edition?

rinconmike, Jun 1, 2017
  9. oldcelt Win User
    That's worth a try - will report later. TVM.

oldcelt, Jun 1, 2017
  10. Cuffy Win User

Cuffy, Jun 1, 2017
  11. oldcelt Win User
    That's worth a try - will report later. TVM.

oldcelt, Jun 1, 2017
  12. oldcelt Win User
    Tried everything suggested including a 'Network Reset'. Regrettably, nothing works!

oldcelt, Jun 1, 2017
  13. Cuffy Win User

Have you tried connecting to your shares by creating a link using that Add a Network Location from the menu on
    This PC page. That will add an individual share and it appears as a shortcut on C:\ . It's a PITA to add many shares using that method but at least you've got a connection .

Cuffy, Jun 2, 2017
  14. oldcelt Win User
    Bingo! Problem solved but may only apply to me. I finally realised (Doh!) that of the 4 machines on my network, the only one giving problems was the Acer laptop. I then remembered that it's the only one which was using AVG firewall. I turned off AVG firewall and turned on Windows firewall - result! All back to normal.

I now need to RTFM for AVG to see what settings are required in AVG firewall so everything works.

I hope it may point a way for others. Thanks a million to all who tried to help.
    Ken

oldcelt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't connect to laptop on network but laptop can connect to all other - Similar Threads - Can't connect laptop

2. laptop will not connect to home wifi, but connects to any other network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop will not connect to home wifi, but connects to any other network: I have a surface pro which has decided that I cannot stay connected to my home wifi, even though I have no issues connecting to my work network, hotspot or any other networks I have tried. I've tried my 2.4 and 5ghz networks and both of them will connect briefly, then...
  3. laptop will not connect to home wifi, but connects to any other network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop will not connect to home wifi, but connects to any other network: I have a surface pro which has decided that I cannot stay connected to my home wifi, even though I have no issues connecting to my work network, hotspot or any other networks I have tried. I've tried my 2.4 and 5ghz networks and both of them will connect briefly, then...
  4. Laptop cannot connect to home network but can connect to other networks/hotspot

Laptop cannot connect to home network but can connect to other networks/hotspot: My Windows 10 Pro laptop is unable to connect to my home wifi network, despite connecting to school and hotspot networks. Other devices: laptops and my phone can all connect to my home network. I have tried a network reset, updating drivers, the troubleshooting program on...
  5. Laptop cannot connect to home network but can connect to other networks/hotspot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop cannot connect to home network but can connect to other networks/hotspot: My Windows 10 Pro laptop is unable to connect to my home wifi network, despite connecting to school and hotspot networks. Other devices: laptops and my phone can all connect to my home network. I have tried a network reset, updating drivers, the troubleshooting program on...
  6. Laptop cannot connect to home network but can connect to other networks/hotspot

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. can't connect my laptop to network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't connect my laptop to network: can't connect my laptop to home wifi and when i go to near upto 5 m it connect automatically and can be used from each and every corner of my home . it is very task to carry to modem and connect and comeback so anybody please give me a solution. it is only for laptop ,all...
  8. can't connect my laptop to network

can't connect my laptop to network: can't connect my laptop to home wifi and when i go to near upto 5 m it connect automatically and can be used from each and every corner of my home . it is very task to carry to modem and connect and comeback so anybody please give me a solution. it is only for laptop ,all...
  9. can connect to own wifi network, but can't connect to other wifi network

can connect to own wifi network, but can't connect to other wifi network: i noticed that the wifi logo change [ATTACH] please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-connect-to-own-wifi-network-but-cant-connect/1464a6dc-5529-475e-95ca-9264272676b6
  10. Can't connect to this network on a new laptop

Can't connect to this network on a new laptop: Lenovo S145-15" My downstairs net is worse because it needs to get through 4 thick walls and books to get to me, but my upstairs one is one meter above me and one meter away, thus the latter is better. My downstairs net can connect fine, but my upstairs one can't. This is...