Windows 10: Can't connect to network drives

Discus and support Can't connect to network drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I recently lost access to my 2 network drives. Both are connected to the router via Ethernet and I myself am connected to the router via Ethernet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by chumbo, Feb 13, 2018.

1. chumbo Win User

Can't connect to network drives

Hi,
    I recently lost access to my 2 network drives. Both are connected to the router via Ethernet and I myself am connected to the router via Ethernet as well. Internet access is not a problem nor is file sharing with my girlfriend's laptop connected via Wifi.

I doubt it's router-related because my girlfriend still has access (via Wifi) to the 2 NAS. Although, I'm not sure but I think the problem started maybe after yesterday's Windows update but for which I can't find much useful information about: KB4087256 & KB4074588 (Security Update). Another reason I feel it might explain something is that my girlfriend has been unable to update her Win10 laptop for a while now because of lack of space so she doesn't have this latest update.

There where the difference is very visible is when clicking 'Network' in Windows File Explorer. I no longer have my 2 NAS show up as 'Computer' and am therefore unable to browse them and map a drive letter to them.

This is the way it looks on my PC now (look at top row):

Can't connect to network drives [​IMG]

And this is my girlfriend's view from her laptop (those 2 other items in the top row are the NAS):

Any idea what could be wrong?
    Thanks!

:)

chumbo, Feb 13, 2018
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Unable to connect to mount network drives to my computer from my IBM AIX server

Hi jake,

I suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet
    forum which is better suited for the issue. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Feb 13, 2018
  3. Cannot connect to network drives after Windows update on 2-13-2018

Yes it is called the Network public folders, copy or move them there.

C:\USERS\PUBLIC

any folder here or create folders here or just copy or move anything anywhere in this folder

OR

Right click on an item and in properties>Sharing Tab, use the advanced sharing at bottom for network folders and files and select to share and change permissions to full control if you want more than just read permissions.

That's it

seahawks65, Feb 13, 2018
  4. sml156 Win User

Have you tried typing the computer name or IP in " File Explorer "

EG:
    Code: \\PCH-A100[/quote] or
    Code: \\192.168.x.x[/quote]

sml156, Feb 13, 2018
  5. chumbo Win User
    Tried now and I get this error:

chumbo, Feb 13, 2018
  6. Berton Win User
    Some folks have fixed it [including myself] by going to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and in Turn Windows features off or on assuring a checkmark is in SMB 1.0/CIF but also unchecking the sub entry of Automatic Removal. Having that SMB 1.0 unchecked is a default of latter updates.

Berton, Feb 13, 2018
  7. EdTittel Win User
    If the machine name isn't decoding properly it's fair (and reasonable) to suspect NetBIOS name resolution problems. You could cobble up a quick LMHOSTS file to see if that's what's causing your problem. You'll need to look up the IP addresses for those two devices -- namely PCH-100 and V00-USB -- for this to work. For the following example, I'm going to give the first one an address of 192.168.1.17 and the second one an address of 192.168.1.18 (when you see <tab> use a TAB character instead).

192.168.1.17 <tab> PCH-100 <tab> #comments are OK, but must be preceded with hashmark
    192.168.1.18 <tab> V00-USB

Save the file in your text editor as "LMHOSTS" (no extension) into the Code: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc[/quote] folder. In fact, you should find a sample LMHOSTS file there named LMHOSTS.sam. Here's a nice tutorial on all the details: Easily Edit the Hosts File in Windows 10 - Petri.

If this doesn't work -- and it very well might not -- there's more than simple NetBIOS name resolution problems involved. Indeed, turning SMB 1 back on (it's off by default in Win10 now) might help. There are lots of other fixes to try, too -- a distressingly large number, in fact!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't connect to network drives - Similar Threads - Can't connect network

2. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to mapped network drive: Can't log into drive on another compter because it changed the user email to a different email with a name to an unkown PC that kind of has the correct name but the username on the other computer does not exist with all the junk in the email. When I remote into the other...
  3. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to mapped network drive: Can't log into drive on another compter because it changed the user email to a different email with a name to an unkown PC that kind of has the correct name but the username on the other computer does not exist with all the junk in the email. When I remote into the other...
  4. Can't connect to mapped network drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".: The title says it all, but i have read other problem submissions and solutions but none of them work. This includes resetting my network, using device manager, using command prompt, and pretty much every other solution posted out there. ...there.If it helps, it says "Checking...
  6. Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".: The title says it all, but i have read other problem submissions and solutions but none of them work. This includes resetting my network, using device manager, using command prompt, and pretty much every other solution posted out there. ...there.If it helps, it says "Checking...
  7. Network drive not connected

Network drive not connected: After installation of W10, impossible to connect NAS drive FREECOM Dual Drive Network Center. SMB1 is checked Services switched to auto / DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource publication, SSDP, UPuP....
  8. Can't connect to network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to network: Not sure why but I just got my PC and I can't connect to my home wifi, connected to my mobile Hotspot just fine but when I try to connect to my wifi it connects for a second then drops and gives me the message it can't connect, please help. submitted by...
  9. Can't connect to work shared network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to work shared network drive: Hi guys, I'm trying to connect to the shared network drive so I can work from home, however I'm having a hard time doing so. I keep getting an error stating Windows cannot access .... Check the spelling of the name, otherwise there may be a problem with your network. This...
  10. Can't connect to network.

Can't connect to network.: About 5 days ago, I was playing a game when suddenly I disconnected from my wifi. I had to wait around 2 minutes for the networks to show up. When I tried to connect back, it said "Can't connect to this network". Every other device in my house was fine and could connect....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can t connect to network drives