Windows 10: Can't connect to this network

Discus and support Can't connect to this network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Today, while having lunch at my favorite restaurant, I tried to connect to their WiFi network as I usually do. I got the following message:Checking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rich Pasco, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Can't connect to this network

Today, while having lunch at my favorite restaurant, I tried to connect to their WiFi network as I usually do.

I got the following message:Checking network resources
    And then, after a few seconds:Can't connect to this network
    My obvious question is, why not? To begin with, was it something wrong with my computer, or something wrong with their network? A more helpful message would have been appreciated, but this is, after all, Windows 10, which in the name of "user-friendliness," withholds important information from its users.

For example, any of these messages would have helped:
    • DHCP server did not respond
    • DHCP server did not issue an IP address
    • Stored password incorrect; enter new password: _________
    • WiFi adapter card not responding
    • Insufficient virtual memory

But no, none of that useful information was offered. How am I supposed to fix the problem? Or do I just go away disappointed?

- Rich

:)

Rich Pasco, Dec 4, 2015

2. Wifi network: Can't connect to this network - Windows 10 - Atheros AR5BWB222

Very useful post for my connexion to my old wifi gateway Linksys WRT54G ( 802.11g)

My connexion was working well without WPA2 encryption.

But, if WPA2 AES was active on my gateway, the automatic wifi detection on my new windows 10 laptop didn't accept the right SSID password key.

My windows 7 laptop and my windowsphone 8.1 were well able to get automatic connexion with my gateway.

First I choose channel 1 on my getway as I saw in my laptop communication card propreties>advanced>Ad Hoc channel 802.11b/g >Value "1"

After I manually create the connection as described in this post.

I crossed the fingers as suggested and it's fixed my problem.

Many thanks.

F2B_Endless, Dec 4, 2015
  3. BatSk8 Win User
    Wifi network: Can't connect to this network - Windows 10 - Atheros AR5BWB222

I have experienced the same issue on many of HP and Dell laptops. Nothing helped me. I wasted many days of reinstalling drivers, systems and other stuff.

I'm happy it's in the past now!

Here is the solution:

Simply turn off your bluetooth and most importantly - unplug your wireless peripherals such as a mouse.

You should disable bluetooth drivers from Windows Device Manager completely.

Who uses bluetooth on laptops anyway, this technology is an unwrap. Come on, 10 meters of range and waiting eternity for pairing.

Here is the reason:

In one sentence: it's caused by 2.4 GHz frequency interference.

Most of WiFi routers work on 2.4 GHz frequency, which is pretty common for all types of consumer wireless connections.

This frequency is also shared with bluetooth and other wireless connections, such as a wireless mouse or keyboard (you can check the frequency your device uses on the box/in the manual).

The reason is pretty simple: everyone can use this frequency free of charge.

Unfortunately, most Windows laptops are equipped with pretty cheap Wifi/Bluetooth bundle network cards (most likely Realtek
    or Atheros). It means HP, DELL and some other manufacturers are using one network card for both Wifi and Bluetooth connectivity.

Bluetooth and wireless devices (like a mouse) signal is stronger than a WiFi signal, also they use more channels than WiFi to transfer less data (especially Bluetooth - that's why you can't stream music via WiFi from YouTube and stream audio to a
    Bluetooth speakers/headphones
    ).

When the interference is low (sometimes all you need to do is change the USB port for a wireless device, so it's not too close to your network card/antenna), the network speed slows down.

When the interference is high, there's no internet connection, but you can still see the signal is 5/5 and you're connected.

After that, Windows shows the "connection limited" error, which is a pain.

Why you didn't have this problem in Windows 8.1?

I suppose WiFi in Windows 8.1 got higher priority than other wireless connections, and the power saving mode was turned off by default (see Windows Device Manager -> Your WiFi driver -> Properties -> Power management and uncheck the power saving feature).

Why don't Mac users have this problem?

I have 3 theories (they can all be true):

1. Well, they are masochists and prefer to use a built-in touchpad. But it's ok to them to do the same things 10 times longer on the Mac interface from previous century Can't connect to this network :) They just love the old cascading menus and messed up navigation.

2. They do have this problem as well, but they didn't notice it, because they just pretend to work on Mac. Everyone knows there's no professional software for Mac, so you can't do anything, even play Solitaire.

3. The other explanation can be that Apple actually cares about the network cards and don't use cheap Realtek bundles (because there are no drivers for Mac OS hahahaha).

How to have a proper WiFi connection and still use a wireless mouse?

Solution #1 (The best)

The best thing you can do is to replace your router for a new one, that supports 5 GHz frequency.

This is only possible when your laptop network card has 5 GHz support.

In that case your internet runs separately from useless Bluetooth and your beloved wireless mouse.

You can also try to replace your laptop's network card if possible, to support 5 GHz frequency.

Solution #2

Try to plug your mouse USB-stick to another USB port, maybe on the other side of your computer.

This may decrease the interference, but it's not the best solution anyway.

Solution #3

Try another mouse/keyboard, maybe there are less power-consuming versions, that occupy less wireless channels.

Solution #4

Disable your WiFi drivers completely (in Windows Device Manager). Buy a USB-WiFi adapter. You'll have a separate network card in a USB stick, it should solve the problem.

Solution #5

Get a cable. Yes, I know it's 21 century, but if MacOS can still have an interface from the 90's, it's no shame to connect your computer by a cable.

To Microsoft:

It's obvious it's not Windows fault and software solutions won't help. However, it is a joke that so so many users have this problem. It's also a joke your forum "experts" can't help and don't even want to help to diagnose the problem. They fob off the users
    looking for support. What do you think they will do? They will buy a Mac.

Things like this can cost you loosing your leader position on the desktop and enterprise market.

However, there are two things you can do about this issue. Please consider each one seriously.

1. The easiest solution:

In case of the "connection limited" error, Windows should display a notification (or warning):

"Having troubles with your WiFi connection?

Make sure there is no interference caused by Bluetooth devices or your wireless peripherals (such as a wireless mouse or keyboard)."

It would be even better, if Windows can even scan for active Bluetooth connections and check wireless data usage, or/and scan for USB mouses and keyboards, to prepare a proper notification according to the actual status.

This would help a lot. I'm looking forward to see an update for Windows 10 with such notification.

Also, if possible, it'd be great to increase the WiFi priority, among other connections.

2. The best solution:

You should force your manufacturers like HP, DELL and others, to equip their products with better network cards, with 5 GHz as a standard. Otherwise they will continue to generate losses for you and blame Windows for this issue.

These days WiFi is a must. Normal Windows users don't know anything about radio interference, they will just assume it's a bug in Windows or in their hardware.

BatSk8, Dec 4, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Can't connect to this network

HI.
    I am not on my laptop ATM, so I can't check, but I think there is a setting in Network & Internet, which turns on/off allowing to connect to wifi hotspots (unsecured networks). You might check to see if that is preventing the connection.

simrick, Dec 4, 2015
  5. I don't think so, for two reasons:
    • The network to which I was trying to connect was a password-pretected secured network.
    • After I posted the above, I successfully connected to a different, unsecured network.

- Rich

Rich Pasco, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't connect to this network

1. Can't connect to this network - Similar Threads - Can't connect network

2. Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".: The title says it all, but i have read other problem submissions and solutions but none of them work. This includes resetting my network, using device manager, using command prompt, and pretty much every other solution posted out there. ...there.If it helps, it says "Checking...
  3. Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network stuck at "Connecting" or "Can't Connect To This Network".: The title says it all, but i have read other problem submissions and solutions but none of them work. This includes resetting my network, using device manager, using command prompt, and pretty much every other solution posted out there. ...there.If it helps, it says "Checking...
  4. can't connect to this network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't connect to this network: Hello , i got a problem with 5ghz wifi connectionwe use digital radiography or i can call it Dr to describe it in brief it receive x-ray and covert it to pic then send it to laptop throw wifi with 5ghz part , the dr is working like access point and i connect wifi from it...
  5. Can't Connect to this Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Connect to this Network: When I'm connecting to my private internet it always says can't connect to this network then I try connecting to a public network same thing happens but when I turn off wifi and connect first to the public network it works but when I try again on my private network the issue...
  6. can't connect to this network

can't connect to this network: I have a problem when connecting to my WIFI when I try to connect it tells me after waiting for sometimes when it says "checking network requirements" "can't connect to this network" [ATTACH] everyone in my family uses the wifi without any problem except me I tried...
  7. Can't connect to this network

Can't connect to this network: I have a Asus fx750 laptop, dit update new drivers today, but then getting this error. I did unistall driver and install the one I have, but still same error. I did try t ook go to (device manager /networks adapters), but cannot get it to work, I can not add pictures as I am...
  8. Can't Connect to this Network

Can't Connect to this Network: I know this is probably a common problem that is easy to fix but for real, I have no idea. It happens after I enter the password in an attempt to connect. I don't know if its the right password but when I try to enter another password it says its the wrong one. So yeah....
  9. "Can't connect to this network"

"Can't connect to this network": I wiped our HP Pavilion 20 desktop to give it to my daughter. Now, after resetting the computer, I can't connect to our network. Our network is available and the wireless icon on the bottom of the screen shows a white star, but when I click connect and enter our password it...
  10. "Can't connect to this network."

"Can't connect to this network.": I just bought a wifi card for my windows 10 desktop (a tp-link archer t8e) and cannot connect to my network. I have the wifi icon on the tray, I can get a list of available networks but after entering the wpa key for my network it just shows the message "Can't connect to...