Windows 10: Can't connect to wifi any more. Wifi icon shows a red x.

Discus and support Can't connect to wifi any more. Wifi icon shows a red x. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Latitude E6520 running Windows 10. Was working fine and then 2 days ago the wifi dropped and won't go back on. When I boot up, the wifi icon shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Kelemvor, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Kelemvor Win User

Can't connect to wifi any more. Wifi icon shows a red x.

Latitude E6520 running Windows 10. Was working fine and then 2 days ago the wifi dropped and won't go back on.

When I boot up, the wifi icon shows black and white with the little asterisk. I can click on it and see my network, and my neighbors, all showing up fine. However, after I click to try to join the network, it thinks for a bit and then says: Can't connect to this network. Even if I put in the wrong passcode I get the same error so it's never getting far enough to even validate that.

After I click Close to that, the Wifi icon then shows with a red/white x. I can then no longer see any wifi networks available at all. After a minute or so the red/white 'x' goes away and I can then try again but get the exact same results.

The network card that was in the laptop (DW1530) didn't technically have a Windows 10 driver from Dell so I took a card from a different laptop that is supported (DW1504) but it has the exact same results.

I also tried connecting to a different wifi and got the exact same results.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how I can fix it? My other laptops, phones, Fire TV stick, etc can all connect to the router just fine. The laptop was just reimaged a week or so ago and worked fine for a few days before this happened.

Thanks.

:)

Kelemvor, Oct 3, 2016
  2. Tdraym Win User

internet access made, showing not connected on taskbar

All of a sudden my wifi icon on taskbar shows red X as no connection to internet So I click on it and it shows me network connected and secure so I then I see if I connect to the internet and I can, I tried to reset icon by turning it off on taskbar
    and turning it back on But still have red X showing over waves or whatever they are, This only started a couple of days ago, always showed as connected with solid white waves before, so I knew I could access online mail and websites without having to first
    check my network icon to see if it was active or not. So how do I fix this PC will not even complete sfc and automatic maintenance can't be found this is all on Windows 10 with all the updates installed. Any help Thank you and have a good day

Tdraym, Oct 3, 2016
  3. wifi not conect with Windows 10

Since I update windows from 8 to windows 10 I lost my wifi connection and the message that is not posible to conect in a network. and the icon shows a big red "x"... how to solve that?

felipehodar, Oct 3, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Open up Device Management and see if the drivers are installed. Right click on the network Icon in the taskbar area by the clock and then click on Network Connections to see if any show disabled.

bro67, Oct 3, 2016
  5. Kelemvor Win User
    Driver are installed just fine. The cards are not disabled.

I do have things in Event viewer about the WLAN something stopped but don't recall what that was exactly as I'm not at home right now. I'm starting to wonder if a Windows Update messed something up with this model as I've heard of at least 2 other people with an E6520 who are suddenly having wifi issues. hmm.

Kelemvor, Oct 3, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    If you are getting the Red X, that means that they are disabled. That also means posting a screen shot of the Device Manager with the Network adapters expanded and showing hidden devices, along with a screenshot from the Network Adapters window in Windows explorer. Just telling us something is not going to solve your problem. That is because we have no way to see what you see, along with having access to the system.

If the adapters are disabled, it is either a driver issue or you have somehow disabled them.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't connect to wifi any more. Wifi icon shows a red x. - Similar Threads - Can't connect wifi

2. WiFi icon is gone, can't connect to WiFi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi icon is gone, can't connect to WiFi: Device: Lenovo Idea pad 3I've suddenly had an issue where my WiFi icon has disappeared and I can't connect to anything. I've tried network reset countless times and nothing appears, I've restarted my laptop and even tried restoring to the last save program. The Intel WiFi 6 A...
  3. WiFi icon is gone, can't connect to WiFi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi icon is gone, can't connect to WiFi: Device: Lenovo Idea pad 3I've suddenly had an issue where my WiFi icon has disappeared and I can't connect to anything. I've tried network reset countless times and nothing appears, I've restarted my laptop and even tried restoring to the last save program. The Intel WiFi 6 A...
  4. Cant connect to my home wifi in Windows 10.. It shows this x icon on my wifi..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant connect to my home wifi in Windows 10.. It shows this x icon on my wifi..: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/CreativeGamer03 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ir4nky/cant_connect_to_my_home_wifi_in_windows_10_it/
  5. Can't connect to any wifi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to any wifi: Hello everyone Everytime I try to connect to a wifi network it tells me "can't connect to this network". I tried to connect to my home network and on my phone using 4G hotspot, and I still get the same error. However, I was able share wifi via USB with my phone and it worked...
  6. BSOD and WiFi shows red cross next to connection.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BSOD and WiFi shows red cross next to connection.: I have have a BSOD almost everyday and just today, I had one and the WiFi has a cross beside it. What do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-and-wifi-shows-red-cross-next-to-connection/d942e696-9419-4cbd-afc4-916d584aa33e
  7. Windows WiFi Red X

Windows WiFi Red X: Hi I recently bought a new gaming PC with windows installed and when I booted up the computer it would now let me use my wireless wifi this is really irretatin pleases help me Whenever I try to connect to wifi it says no connections available or something...
  8. Red X over wifi icon after hard reboot

Red X over wifi icon after hard reboot: My computer is a Powerspec G418 running Windows 10 Pro version 1703, build 15063.608. I woke my machine from sleep and went to login. I quickly realized that nothing was appearing in the password box and the machine was unresponsive to mouse clicks, though I could move it. I...
  9. After 1511 November update, no WiFi (red X on icon).

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After 1511 November update, no WiFi (red X on icon).: I had my major update installed yesterday, and the only way how I managed to do that was by letting Windows delete all existing system files and drivers. Now that I've got everything else installed back after a whole day's work, I have a problem with my Wifi driver. To be...
  10. Red X on Tray Icon appears on Wifi and Audio

in Windows 10 Support
    Red X on Tray Icon appears on Wifi and Audio: Hi guys. Im having a problem. What happened was i tried opening a software called Pokemon Revolution online. People call it a client. When i did, it crashed and became "not responding." So what i did was held the power button to force restart it. Now, when it restarted it...