Windows 10: Can't connect to Windows Update Server

Discus and support Can't connect to Windows Update Server in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have finished doing the anniversary updates and all went ok. However yesterday being Tuesday I went to the Windows Update section to do any updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by VE3YF, Aug 9, 2016.

1. VE3YF Win User

Can't connect to Windows Update Server

I have finished doing the anniversary updates and all went ok. However yesterday being Tuesday I went to the Windows Update section to do any updates that were available and kept of getting a reply could not connect to the update server.

All of my other computers that had the anniversary update can still connect to the update server, but this one computer for some strange reason will not connect to the update server.

I have disabled Windows Defender as well as Malwarebytes and still it will not connect to the update server. The internet is working just fine, so that can't be the problem.

Any idea's what could be going on here...

:)

VE3YF, Aug 9, 2016
  2. sleepvidi Win User

Nokia Software Updater & Nokia Ovi Suite can't connect with service upgrade of Nokia Servers

Hello,

Nokia Software Updater v2.2.26es and Nokia Ovi Suite v3.0.0.290 can't

connect with the Nokia update servers. In the first

case gives a configuration error, and the second says can't connect to Nokia's servers.

Any ideas?

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP3, and I have Norton Internet Security 2011

Thanks for your help.

sleepvidi, Aug 9, 2016
  3. chrisd37 Win User
    Windows 10 update from sunset version 10240 still failing after something like a year

Seems my SQL server can't be connected to after updating Windows 10 because the Windows 10 update wiped SQL Server 2014 Express clean off my computer.

Awesome winning there. Here goes more of "my" time...

chrisd37, Aug 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Can't connect to Windows Update Server [​IMG]

Hi, try the troubleshooter at the bottom. Please post back with the outcome. Thanks.

dalchina, Aug 9, 2016
  5. VE3YF Win User
    The troubleshooter is of no use. It can't find a solution for the problem. I have since discovered a couple of problems that are probably related.

The Network Status screen says I am not connected to the network. And the Network Icon on the taskbar is showing no connection. When I click on show available networks, it says the network that I am connected to and No Internet, Secured.

The WIFI Status says I am connected to the Network and No Internet, Secured.

But I am connected to the network, and also the internet.

This computer is the one that my weather station is hooked up to and it is uploading data to the internet just perfectly. Works everywhere on the internet except will not do Windows Updates....

VE3YF, Aug 10, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, and what happens if you right click on the network icon in the system tray and run the troubleshooter there?

Try downloading and installing the free Tweaking.com repair tool (note its several cautious stages).
    Repair options 13, 17, perhaps 26. You could also use the services repair option.

This sounds more like an internet issue than an update issue per se. However you may get further information from the Windows update log:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/902093
    or the event log (Event viewer)

Manual options: - note, Tweaking.com's repair tool should cover the ground more thoroughly and avoid errors and omissions in manual checks. Manual checks rely on choosing and knowing the appropriate ones and implementing them correctly.

Step 1: Check the following services are enabled.

• Press Windows Key + R.
    • Type "services.msc" in the box. Check if these services are enabled:
    - TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service
    - Wireless lan
    - DHCP
    - DNS Client
    - Function Discovery Resource Publication
    - SSDP Discovery
    - UPnP Device Host

To start the service and set it to automatic, follow these steps:

• Right-click each of the services listed above and click on Properties.
    • Click the General tab, and then, next to Startup type, select Automatic.
    • Click Apply, and then click Start.
    Step 2: Disable any 3rd party security software temporarily.

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  7. VE3YF Win User
    I have tried by launching the troubleshooter from the Network icon, and basically what the troubleshooter says is "Unable to detect networking issue, can reset computer network config". I let it do this and no change, other than I have to re-enter in the Network properties to long onto the Router.

I have verified the Windows Services and the only difference I have is:

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service is - Manual (Trigger Start)
    DNS Client is Auto (Trigger Start)
    The rest are set to Automatic

I downloaded and installed the Tweaking tool and ran steps 13, 17 and 26. No change..........

This problem is really starting to really bother me. I am glad it is +35 C today, good reason to stay indoors...

VE3YF, Aug 10, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Can you try
    ping download.microsoft.com

ping download.windowsupdate.com

from a command prompt?

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  9. VE3YF Win User
    Just pinged both sites and all is ok, sent out 4 packets and got 4 packets back and 0 lost packets

VE3YF, Aug 10, 2016
  10. VE3YF Win User
    Also just checked and Windows Defender is not auto updating either and when I tried to do an update it failed. Funny windows seems to think it has no access to internet, yet other programs ie Firefox and malwarebytes and my weather programs all see the internet.

VE3YF, Aug 10, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Noting your comment about your Wifi and the Network icon, please try an ethernet connection.

Also please try deleting and recreating your Wifi connection.

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  12. VE3YF Win User
    I deleted the Wifi connection and created a new one. I also tried the Ethernet connection. Same results as the Wifi where I can see the Network and Internet, and all the above programs I mentioned have access to the Internet. However Windows thinks there is no Internet and Windows Update as well as Windows Defender can not connect for updates.

VE3YF, Aug 10, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Aug 10, 2016
  14. VE3YF Win User
    I did that several times and still no change in the situation. I am wondering if during the Anniversary Upgrade/Update if Windows 10 is using new drivers for the NIC. Everything worked fine prior to the Anniversary Upgrade, so I have no idea if Windows used new drivers etc.

VE3YF, Aug 11, 2016
  15. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, Aug 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't connect to Windows Update Server - Similar Threads - Can't connect Update

2. Can't connect to activation server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect to activation server: I have a genuine copy of windows, but I got this error message:We can't activate Windows on this device as we can't connect to your organization's activation server.Make sure you're connected to your organization's network and try again. If you continue havingproblems with...
  3. Can't connect to activation server

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't connect to activation server: I have a genuine copy of windows, but I got this error message:We can't activate Windows on this device as we can't connect to your organization's activation server.Make sure you're connected to your organization's network and try again. If you continue havingproblems with...
  4. Can't connect to activation server

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can't connect to update server?? What and where it that?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to update server?? What and where it that?: I am trying to update software on my computer and get the error on Windows Installer error code 1316.Also says can't connect to Update Service....
  6. Can't connect to Microsoft server

Can't connect to Microsoft server: I can't connect to the Microsoft server I tried all of the fixes being posted in the threads but nothing works. It always states a internet connection problem although I can visit all other sites. I also get the 0X80072EFD code when try to open the Microsoft store...
  7. can't connect to the organisation server

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    can't connect to the organisation server: while i try to change my product key it shows the error can't connect to the server https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-connect-to-the-organisation-server/f939a736-2690-4a30-a651-dd1e23e09908
  8. Can't connect to Bingo Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to Bingo Server: I have not been able to play Bingo for the past 5 or 6 days. I get the Server Connection Error: "There was a problem connecting to the Bingo server. If the problem persists, please check the Bingo support page at http://aka.ms/msbingost" I went to the "support page"...
  9. Can't connect to game server

Can't connect to game server: I USED TO enjoy playing Bingo but the server connect error has gotten out of hand. One would think that the mega giant of computer software would be able to prevent the scammers from gaining access to your software. Any progress? Or have you just "swept it under the rug?"...
  10. Minecraft can't connect to Server's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft can't connect to Server's: Minecraft "Windows 10" editions is "Gaming on Windows 10" (Moderator) ! Even with all ports of game in forwarding (https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live) configured in the Router I can't connect to Servers of Minecraft (servers...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant connect to windows update server

2. connect to webpages cant connect to windows update server

3. windows cant connect to update server

4. windows updat cant connect to server