Windows 10: Can't copy file, corrupt hdd?

Discus and support Can't copy file, corrupt hdd? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I did have 1 large file (1 GB) on my internal hdd that could not copy. If I did try to copy it to another harddisk, it did start out well, but around... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MightyMauz, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Can't copy file, corrupt hdd?

I did have 1 large file (1 GB) on my internal hdd that could not copy. If I did try to copy it to another harddisk, it did start out well, but around halfway through the copy speed goes to 0 and stays there for 5 minutes. Then it aborted with the "message "can't read from the source file or disk".

I could delete the file, but since that only means removing the index, I am not sure my hard disk is okay on all the sectors of where the file was.

I am worried that these are the early signs of a failing hard drive. Should I be worried? And how can I make sure that the disk is okay? I have copied all the files to an external hard drive, so I am free to do anything now with the hard disk.

:)

MightyMauz, Feb 20, 2018
  2. hadimassa Win User

Memory card encrypted

Plug the card in a PC. Copy the files, reformat the card in the phone and replace the files. If you can't read the card in the PC and phone, the card is corrupted and you have to reformat anyway. All data will be lost.

hadimassa, Feb 20, 2018
  3. N8 Corrupting 16GB SD Cards

Same problem here, I have 32gb Kingston class 4 card and is doing same thing, corrupting all the files the a try to copy on the card, and the worse is I can't delete the corrupted pictures that I have, saying system error :smileyfrustrated:

sajrus---01, Feb 20, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Can't copy file, corrupt hdd?

In File Explorer right-click on the drive involved, click Properties then the Tools tab, use the error check function.

Berton, Feb 20, 2018
  5. I did that, but it was done in 30 seconds. It doesn't give much peace of mind.

I am executing a full format now. Let's see if it gets stuck somewhere.

MightyMauz, Feb 21, 2018
  6. I did a full format and the seagate full test. Everything looks fine.

Even CrystalDiskInfo went from "caution" to "good". Any reasons not to trust the disk?

MightyMauz, Feb 21, 2018
  7. Bat 1 Win User
    Run a surface scan with Minitool Partition Wizard, I once had a OS drive that failed to Clone, but everything I tested it with showed it as good. Found the bad sector with Minitool

Bat 1, Feb 21, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

Try Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) - its GUI gives a clear indication.

You can also do a surface test with that under the Disk tab.

dalchina, Feb 21, 2018
  9. Bat 1 Win User
    Bat 1, Feb 21, 2018
  10. I did:
    - full format (through administrative tools)
    - seagate full test
    - minitool surface scan

all with no errors, so I think I'm good

MightyMauz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't copy file, corrupt hdd? - Similar Threads - Can't copy file

2. Nvm.e & HDD, HDD getting files corrupted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Nvm.e & HDD, HDD getting files corrupted: Hi guys, I just bought a new nvme for windows and hdd to put my files on, but since then I was struggling with a problem. The HDD is just getting all the files corrupted after a few hours of copying/downloading/installing/moving files there.I already tried:- CHKDSK D: /f /r...
  3. Nvm.e & HDD, HDD getting files corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvm.e & HDD, HDD getting files corrupted: Hi guys, I just bought a new nvme for windows and hdd to put my files on, but since then I was struggling with a problem. The HDD is just getting all the files corrupted after a few hours of copying/downloading/installing/moving files there.I already tried:- CHKDSK D: /f /r...
  4. Nvm.e & HDD, HDD getting files corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Corrupt HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt HDD: I had windows 11 via the insider program and my pc automatically updated and now my HDD is corrupt beyond repair. Thanks Microsoft : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupt-hdd/a71a6926-1aa7-4058-8646-676f28816dcc
  6. Corrupt HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupt HDD: I had windows 11 via the insider program and my pc automatically updated and now my HDD is corrupt beyond repair. Thanks Microsoft : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupt-hdd/a71a6926-1aa7-4058-8646-676f28816dcc
  7. File corruption when copying large files

File corruption when copying large files: Hello,I'm experiencing a problem with Windows 10 where I get corrupt backup files if I copy and paste them from one connected external hard drive to another, and the transfer rate is too fast. These files are very large, tending to range in size from 20 GB to 100 GB. Whenever...
  8. Can't COPY install.wim file from USB to PC Internal HDD.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't COPY install.wim file from USB to PC Internal HDD.: I have been performing housekeeping on the MANY USB's that I have. I have a USB folder that contains an extracted ISO [ Win Vista ] with a custom install.wim file. On my Win 10 Desktop PC, I have an extra Internal HDD that I wanted to Copy the install.wim file to. I have...
  9. Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD

Cannot copy files to external HDD or internal spare HDD: Hello Everyone, I cannot copy files to any external HDD. I have also added a spare internal HDD to my HP pavilion 15 gaming laptop for extra storage and cannot copy files to this either. I have tried two external HDDs and they are two different brands so I am assuming this...
  10. corrupt hdd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    corrupt hdd: my computer has a corrupt boot sector and will not boot from a iso or anything else. It says there is not enought room on the hdd to move and correct the data so I have re-formated the drive and want to reinstall my software and windows 10 pro as it was before the...