Windows 10: Can't Create A Hotspot That Works

Discus and support Can't Create A Hotspot That Works in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Kari I have checked my facts and it is the information that started to roll out in early January, that users in the insider program and got the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tompkins, Feb 10, 2016.

1. bro67 Win User

Can't Create A Hotspot That Works

Kari I have checked my facts and it is the information that started to roll out in early January, that users in the insider program and got the latest update early, that found it to become more difficult to use the older method of creating a Virtual connection.

You are supposed to be able to still bridge another Wifi adapter to use the computer as a hotspot. Until Microsoft stops that, Connectify is still the go to at this point. They just updated with a work around for the update that came out in January.

the only thing that I know that still works is Connectify. The old Virtual connection for WiFi got ripped out in the last update in Jan., under the guise of Microsoft considering it a potential way of allowing hack attempts and Zero Day intrusions

Microsoft has in the next rollout a whole bunch of other items that it is looking like they are going to cripple certain areas, and along with further changing the user interface.

It is becoming one huge headache at this point, that more users are going to continue to stick with 7 and not move up to 10.

I have totally moved from even touching or working with 10 on my test box at this point, because each rollout is becoming one huge headache after another.

I am 100% Linux at this point in my household. I am still going to continue helping to troubleshoot network issues. But I am not going to keep going back and forth when you want to turn a discussion into a argument of "My dad is bigger then your dad."

If you cannot handle these discussions and my replies in an adult and mature way, by stopping your direct attacks on my post. I will just go past yours and still handle my posts in a adult mature discussion.

bro67, Feb 16, 2016
  2. Kari Win User

You are absolutely wrong, as I showed with screenshots from an actual scenario from my laptop. Absolutely totally wrong.

Adult and mature way? You are so wrong as possible, giving totally false information, but correcting it is not "adult and mature way"? Nobody should reveal that your information is false?

Are you one of those user who do not like to be corrected, who think that even when they are clearly wrong the information given should not be corrected?

Maybe you should leave assisting Windows 10 users to those members who actually use Windows 10 and know its functions and features, know how it works?

3. Which is interesting, because Connectify is just a front end for the manual method.

nigelmercier, Feb 16, 2016
  4. gand5000 Win User

I am at a loss to explain how that should help...theoretically I should be able to do it already then if it is only the "pretty front end". Thanks to the OP for letting me in on his thread and for the responses so far. Now that I have got the initial rant out of my system (yesterday was a bad day in a long string of bad days) I would like to work the problem if anybody is willing.

FYI I classify myself as an ex-power user, not a network admin or IT guy--although I grew up on these systems and still can get around well, there are many things that have passed me by while I focused on biochemistry and metabolism (the focus of my current laboratory). I have still used Win 7 for a while however. So, if I say anything stupid please excuse me.

What I want to do is the following: I have 1 desktop that is Offline. Its sole purpose is to run analytical instrumentation and cannot be put online without the University antivirus crapping the essential tools to do my research. It runs Windows 7 pro. I have my laptop, which is my database/literature/statistical analysis/email machine--runs Windows 10 Home as mentioned.

What I want to be able to do is share/pull Excel sheets and files off the desktop and put them on my laptop for further analysis without moving from my office. I do NOT care about getting my desktop to cruise the internet in any fashion whatsoever; I simply want to run files to my laptop so I can use them and run statistical analyses/validation on the data. My laptop is my internet machine. It currently has McAfee on default, which will change. My phone would be nice to have sharing as well, but I have bluetooth there (isn't working but that's a separate thread).

My understanding is that there are 3 ways to connect: 1) Internet/Network--not possible because we can't install the antivirus on the desktop and still run our lab 2) VPN. Again, needs internet which means University IT can shut down the port after they find activity until we register as having proper antivirus etc....no good. 3) PAN/LAN direct between devices, which is what I want and should be able to do wirelessly--office is adjacent to my laboratory, the range should not be a problem, I am inside 30 feet and not going to be transferring only data, no multimedia.

So, is it possible to do this between desktop/laptop using Windows 10?

gand5000, Feb 16, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If you just need files then another way might be to run RDP from your laptop to the computer in the lab -- it doesn't need Internet or anything -- if it's got an IP address simply connect to it using its IP address.

In the RDP logon from your computer enable share local resources -- you'll then be able to cut and paste from the Lab's computer HDD's to yours. Running W7 pro it can act as an RDP server - enable remote access on the Lab computer.

IMO this is the easiest method of all for what you want to do --no extra network permissions needed so long as the LAB machine and your laptop are on the same "subnet".

You might if the screen size on your laptop is decent - not even need to copy the files - just stay logged on to your Lab's desktop from your laptop via RDP.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 17, 2016
  6. gand5000 Win User
    Cheers jimbo, thank you very much for your time and helpful reply.

I have a problem however: having never used RDP before it seems I am doing something incorrectly. I have no doubt this is where my long layoff from the inner power workings of Windows is hurting me. I have no idea which side to approach this from--So, I have my LAB desktop in Win 7 pro set to allow remote assistance, and "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop". However it only lets me search for locations from within that computer--nowhere else. That doesn't seem right?

My laptop is set to allow remote connections. However in the online guides I've looked at for Win 10 all reference Win 10 Pro, not home, and even though I have the box checked there is no option underneath "allow remote assistance" to pick Remote Desktop options (no connections, any version of remote desktop, Network Level). Clicking Advanced options just lets me pick duration of connection, that's it.

Don't tell me I can only do this from Win10 pro? Can I do this in reverse from my LAB desktop? All I see--granted I'm not savvy with this yet--is 3rd party freeware options to do this. I don't want extra programs on my laptop if at all possible.

I should mention the LAB computer is connected to NOTHING except the instruments. No ethernet cables at all (it does have 2 hardline network adapters). I have a USB wireless adapter installed right now in hopes to get this thing working however.

gand5000, Feb 17, 2016
  7. I just see a hijack.

nigelmercier, Feb 17, 2016
  8. gand5000 Win User

If people want me to start a new thread I certainly will. I only posted here because it was the identical error I recieved. Tompkins has not replied to the thread since yesterday when he said "Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the Access Network still says "No Network Connection.""

See new thread then, thank you all and apologies.

gand5000, Feb 17, 2016
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

1) Win 10 HOME will allow you RDP as a CLIENT so you shouldn't have any problem using it to CONNECT to a remote computer which in your case is running W7 PRO so that computer can run RDP as a server (I.e your Win 10 laptop computer can connect to it).

2) on the Lab computer when the wifi dongle is in the machine you will need it to connect to an accessible network this could either be your LAB / UNI network or to a hotspot you create on your own machine -- my view is that if you can LOGON to the network --you don't need any Internet access etc then see what the IP address is and get into command mode on your LAB (W7) machine and type PING x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the Lab machine. (You get that from the LAB machine by typing IPCONFIG).

Then if PING returns anything you should be able to simply RDP to the LAB machine.

If that fails post back and we will try it via the "Hotspot" method.

On W10 to get to the RDP application simply bring up the start menu (the Windows icon) and type RDP.

Can't Create A Hotspot That Works [​IMG]

Then start the RDP application - enter the IP address of the computer you want to use and enable local resources

Note choose the HDD's on your LOCAL computer (laptop) that you want to use in the remote session --then you can cut and paste files etc from your REMOTE (LAB) computer to your Laptop (or the other way around too).

Of course another idea which could be even simpler --if you can SEE the lab machine on a network then simply enable File Sharing on the machine !!!! but I don't think the answer will really be that simple --if it is -- job done !!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 17, 2016
  10. I did this:
    Step1.
    http://lifehacker.com/turn-your-wind...pot-1724762931

and it worked, except no internet access. Then I did this:

Step2.
    Share an Internet connection and turn a Windows 7 or 8 PC in to a Wireless Hotspot (even on a VPN)!

Apparently, the needed step may have been turning off all the protocols except TCP/IPv4.
    So thanks! now I can connect my phone using WiFi AND it can access the Internet though my Ethernet connected Win10 laptop.

BUT in between the steps described in those links above, I did this:

My question is, was this necessary? or should I have done that at all?? I don't understand it, so could this be opening up all these ports to hackers or something??? For that matter, should the "Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection" box be selected at all? You see, besides connecting the phone, I have a Win10 Tablet I will want to WiFi connect to the laptop and, if possible, have shared file access between them as if they were UAC connected via the Ethernet LAN. To do so, will I need to turn back on some of those protocols?? (I know, I'm very confused). Please advise...

AVS Richard, Mar 24, 2016
  11. The two procedures are virtually identical, and the second is from my Post #2. Following my post should have worked.

nigelmercier, Mar 24, 2016
  12. Indeed it did work, but in one example the "Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection" in the Sharing tab was checked, whereas in the other example it was not. So I am curious about the ramifications of allowing that. And neither example showed what I did (and asked about) which was checking the boxes for the Services on the "Advanced Settings" panel that pops up from the "Settings" button on the Sharing tab. Perhaps it should be self explanatory to me I guess. In any case, at least I think there is enough info in this thread to help those who will be following it in the future to get their hotpots working with internet passthough if that is all they're trying to do. As long as their hardware and drivers support it. Because all the Microsoft documentation on the matter gave me was a headache.

AVS Richard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't Create A Hotspot That Works - Similar Threads - Can't Create Hotspot

2. how to work mobile hotspot if can't work on this window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to work mobile hotspot if can't work on this window: how to work mobile hotspot if can't work on this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-work-mobile-hotspot-if-cant-work-on-this/c639379b-655e-497b-a168-db97e0060c1c
  3. how to work mobile hotspot if can't work on this window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to work mobile hotspot if can't work on this window: how to work mobile hotspot if can't work on this window https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-work-mobile-hotspot-if-cant-work-on-this/c639379b-655e-497b-a168-db97e0060c1c
  4. How to create a hotspot with a command?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a hotspot with a command?: So, i have the weird problem that i cant create a hotspot with the command "netsh wlan start hostednetwork //start hotspot" I get this error. after reasearching it, the solution is said to be to enable "Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter"but that doesnt seem to...
  5. How to create a hotspot with a command?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create a hotspot with a command?: So, i have the weird problem that i cant create a hotspot with the command "netsh wlan start hostednetwork //start hotspot" I get this error. after reasearching it, the solution is said to be to enable "Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter"but that doesnt seem to...
  6. How to create a hotspot with a command?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Creating a hotspot

Creating a hotspot: It's for general networking, the machine has no internet connection. 'Hosted network' is not supported for the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377, on this Acer Aspire 3, with Windows build 1803. Therefore I want to work around this, or use another device (I have an ethernet connected...
  8. Creating Mobile Hotspot

Creating Mobile Hotspot: I am wanting to use my mobile internet data on my PC. I understand that to do this I need to create a 'mobile hotspot'. I am using Windows10 and cannot find this setting in my Network Settings tab. I am using a wired WiFi device ie connected to computer via usb cable Is...
  9. Iphone USB Hotspot Created Two Ethernet Profiles and Wifi Hotspot no longer works

Iphone USB Hotspot Created Two Ethernet Profiles and Wifi Hotspot no longer works: I have set up my iphone hotspot to give my laptop wifi wired; however it no longer works through normal wireless hotspot [ATTACH] The bottom Ethernet connection appears when connected; however it doesn't display its connected but the top one does the top Ethernet displays no...
  10. Can't create Wi-Fi hotspot

Can't create Wi-Fi hotspot: I'm trying to create a Wi-Fi hotspot by launching an elevated command prompt and doing this: Code: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=MySSIDName key=MyKey[/quote] Which returns: Code: The hosted network mode has been set to allow.The SSID of the hosted...