Windows 10: Can't create a recovery drive.

Discus and support Can't create a recovery drive. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've tried sfc / scannow, reinstalling windows, working with windows help desk, and computer manufacturer. Nothing works. I've tried different USB keys... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cyclonic, Jul 28, 2016.

1. cyclonic Win User

Can't create a recovery drive.

I've tried sfc / scannow, reinstalling windows, working with windows help desk, and computer manufacturer. Nothing works. I've tried different USB keys always larger than 16 gb. I've searched a lot of Internet sites. Any suggestions?

:)

cyclonic, Jul 28, 2016

2. Windows 10130 We can't create the recovery drive

attempting to create a recovery drive in 10130 receives this message "We can't create the recovery drive. A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive."

Is there a solution to this?

johnlitwinetz, Jul 28, 2016
  3. CSHRLH Win User
    Recovery Drive Fail : Create a recovery drive fails in windows 10

I've been experiencing the same issue creating a recovery USB. I initially created a recovery disc after purchase of my Acer laptop with Windows 10 and after upgrading to the Creator's update fall edition, I thought to create a new recovery drive. Now,
    since I tried to use the same USB, I am left with no recovery drive at all since the USB was formatted in the process. I've tried going back to the previous version of Windows and using a restore point returning to before the Creator's update with no luck
    creating a drive. The system wouldn't even restore to the restore point I had created, but instead deleted it. Although I am having no problems with Windows, I feel cheated that I can't create a recovery USB for future use. Is this Microsoft's way of making
    me purchase recovery media?

CSHRLH, Jul 28, 2016
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Can you give us some info like what the exact error message is, error reports from Event Viewer etc ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 28, 2016
  5. cyclonic Win User
    "We can't create the recovery drive. A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive." I'm not sure how to retrieve data from the Event Viewer.

cyclonic, Jul 29, 2016
  6. DavidY Win User
    I've always found Recovery Drive a bit flaky in Windows 10. It works in a different way to Windows 8 or earlier, and the option to include System files tries to give you an installer to recreate Windows from just the drive.

I had a theory that if the machine still had an older Recovery Partition (eg. from Windows 7) it affected the process, but that's just an idea rather than anything definite.

DavidY, Jul 29, 2016
  7. cyclonic Win User
    My PC came with win 10 home (OEM). I upgraded to Pro (digital intitlement), so not sure if the original home has a partition that is blocking this?

cyclonic, Jul 29, 2016
  8. DavidY Win User

You could use Disk Management to show you what partitions you have, but I don't really advise deleting the Recovery partition. Plus Windows 10 Home and Pro are pretty similar in any case, so it is less likely to cause a problem I think.

Another idea is to wait for the Anniversary Update which is coming soon and hope that they've made the Recovery Disk creation more reliable in that version!

DavidY, Jul 29, 2016
  9. cyclonic Win User
    When I use disk management it shows my drive has 2 separate recovery partitions. Is this to be expected?

cyclonic, Jul 29, 2016
  10. DavidY Win User
    It might be. Are they both around 300-500MB, or is one or both bigger than that?

DavidY, Jul 29, 2016
  11. cyclonic Win User
    One is 449mb, the other is 500mb.

cyclonic, Jul 29, 2016
  12. DavidY Win User
    That probably isn't the cause then. When I had problems it was with a Windows7 Recovery partition which is a few GB. In that case I don't know the answer. I'd still advise waiting to see what the Anniversary Update brings.
    Also, you could make a USB flash drive installer containing Windows 10. It will be less specific than a Recovery Drive but it's very similar in what it can do to rescue you from problem situations, and has some advantages.

DavidY, Jul 29, 2016
  13. cyclonic Win User

Is it normal to have two separate recovery partitions on the c drive? Could one of them be safely deleted?

cyclonic, Jul 29, 2016
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

You run the following from an elevated command prompt to see which partition is the current Recovery partition :

reagentc /info

Note the partition # and check with Disk Management.
    After that I can further instruct you on how to delete the one that's not in use and so on.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jul 29, 2016
  15. cyclonic Win User
    Do you see this as a solution to the recovery drive issue I'm having?

cyclonic, Jul 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't create a recovery drive. - Similar Threads - Can't create recovery

2. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create an recovery drive.: I've tried to create an recovery drive for a reason and this screen will always pop up. Is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-an-recovery-drive/d01f5a07-31f1-4634-9223-4b868b30e190
  3. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create an recovery drive.: I've tried to create an recovery drive for a reason and this screen will always pop up. Is there anyway to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-an-recovery-drive/d01f5a07-31f1-4634-9223-4b868b30e190
  4. Can't create an recovery drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create recovery drive: I am trying to create a recovery drive. I'm an Office 365 user and don't have any installation media. Any help is much appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-recovery-drive/481b2af7-4acd-4dd9-a33e-b3b97007da0e
  6. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't create recovery drive: I am trying to create a recovery drive. I'm an Office 365 user and don't have any installation media. Any help is much appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-recovery-drive/481b2af7-4acd-4dd9-a33e-b3b97007da0e
  7. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Recovery Drive: Can't Create

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovery Drive: Can't Create: Hi I am trying to create a recovery drive for my laptop. I received the laptop from a family member so I don't know if the recovery files, which I believe to be on one of the hard drives, are still there or not. I have run the Recovery Drive app and have followed all of its...
  9. Can't create recovery drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create recovery drive: I'm running Win 10 Version 1211 (build 10586.11) - i.e. the latest build with the latest update. I want to create a new recovery drive but when I get to the window that says "Connect a USB Flash Drive" and the process comes to a dead stop. -I'm using the same 16GB thumb...
  10. Can't create Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't create Recovery Drive: Win 10 is running fine, but I wanted to create a Recovery Drive just in case. In the search bar I typed "RecoveryDrive.exe" and pressed enter. UAC popped up and I replied. The first recovery screen popped up. I accepted defaults on screen and selected Next. Next screen...