Windows 10: Can't create new folder in Windows 10 explorer

Discus and support Can't create new folder in Windows 10 explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After a long time without any issues, my Windows 10 PC started to have trouble when creating new folders. Whenever I try to do it in explorer windows,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cvsbr, Mar 22, 2016.

1. cvsbr Win User

Can't create new folder in Windows 10 explorer

After a long time without any issues, my Windows 10 PC started to have trouble when creating new folders. Whenever I try to do it in explorer windows, be it through right-clicking or Ctrl+shift+n, the cursor shows its loading animation and explorer crashes. However when doing it on the desktop, through either method, the folder is created just fine. Can someone help me solve this problem?

:)

cvsbr, Mar 22, 2016

2. Can't create new folder in windows 10

When right clicking on the desktop or inside a folder the option to create a new folder does not appear, also, when clicking on the "new folder" button on the file explorer or pressing "ctrl + shift + n" does nothing.

I've already tried both methods stated in the question "Windows 10 Can't create a new folder
    in File Explorer and Can't right click on desktop
    "and it had no results.

SebastianToso, Mar 22, 2016
  3. I can't create new folder in explorer on Windows 10

Dear Microsoft Teams,

File Explorer, Internet Explorer; Microsoft Health and ... Can't Create New Folder Windows 10 pro. ...

Please help me!

Tks

Cuong Pham Cao, Mar 22, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, welcome to tenforums.

The standard approaches:
    1. Does this work in Safe Mode?
    If it does, Windows isn't broken and you have sthg installed which conflicts with explorer.

2. Resolving conflicts with explorer in normal mode.
    a. Clean boot:
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums
    b. Use Shellexview (freeware) to disable shell extensions.
    Download, install, run; hide all MS extensions. Disable all others.
    If Win 10 = 64bit also check the 32 bit option in ShellexView.

No need to log off.

Retest.

3. Repairing Windows (1st method)
    Press Windows key + X; Click command prompt (admin).
    Type
    SFC /Scannow

Wait for this to complete and post the result.
    Retest create new folder if the result is clear or only report opencl.dll

dalchina, Mar 22, 2016
  5. cvsbr Win User
    Thanks! I noticed everything was working fine in safe mode, so I followed these steps and now everything is back to normal. Thanks again!

cvsbr, Mar 23, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Great! Sometimes things work out...

dalchina, Mar 23, 2016
  7. i don't know if you resolved this issue, but for the sake of other people, most of the advice i have found on this issue has NOT been effective.

the ONLY method that worked for me was to manually edit the registry entry.
    it is true that it is not always a good idea to do this, HOWEVER, in this case the intructions are so simple, a child can do it.

IMPORTANT: follow these instructions very closely (i have made them very clear!)

1. a) open "regedit" by going to "search the web and windows" on bottom left of your desktop screen.
    b) usually at the top of results you should see a blue icon "regedit".
    c) right click and run as administrator.

2. a) regedit will open (normally on my system, by default, it opens minimized to taskbar at bottom of screen)
    b) when you expand or open regedit, you wil see a list of folders on the left menu.
    (if you don't see a list, then click the arrow beside "Computer")
    c) you are looking for the folder HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (see screenshots i've posted with this reply)
    Can't create new folder in Windows 10 explorer [​IMG]

d)click the little arrow beside it to expand it to see it's subfolders.
    e) look quite far down (after all the ones with "." at the start) till you see the one called Directory.

3. expand "Directory" the same way as above. click the little arrow.
    b) inside you see "shellex",and below that "ContextMenueHandlers"
    c) right click on "ContextMenueHandlers" and choose "new", then click "key".
    d) a new folder will appear with "New Key #1" highlighted in blue as soon as you clikc "new"

COPY AND PASTE THIS KEY INTO IT:
    {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}

f) you should now see the new folder under "ContextMenuHandlers". you can now close regedit. (mine was fine at time of writing these instruction, so the new folder is already visible in my screenshots)

do a restart just to make sure it has fully gone through... and BINGO! it is fully fixed without having to install any software or do safe mode and lots of other timely "fixes" that generally never work, whereas this WILL work.

THIS IS THE DEFAULT SETTING that should HAVE BEEN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE THAT SOMEHOW, WHETHER YOUR FAULT OR A RELEASE "BUG" has been changed.
    it is a good idea to keep a copy of these intructions.

any further questions just message me.

paul womble, Aug 1, 2016
  8. Can't create new folder in Windows 10 explorer

In the text You say "shellex" under "directory" but on the picture You select "shellex" under "background" ?!?! which is right, "shellex under directory" or "shellex under directory/background"???

Sima Opaki, Oct 26, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't create new folder in Windows 10 explorer - Similar Threads - Can't create folder

2. Can't create new folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create new folders in Windows 10: Hiya,So as the title suggests, I can't create new folders. This isn't specific to any drive, it's literally everywhere on every drive. All I can do is create a shortcut, bitmap image, rich text document and a text document. This happened after an update but I don't know which...
  3. Can't create new folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create new folders in Windows 10: Hiya,So as the title suggests, I can't create new folders. This isn't specific to any drive, it's literally everywhere on every drive. All I can do is create a shortcut, bitmap image, rich text document and a text document. This happened after an update but I don't know which...
  4. Can't create new folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't create new folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create new folders.: Creating new folders isn't working since I tried to change my default folders icon using this tutorial.Now everytime I create a folder I am getting this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-new-folders/5d2267e0-43a2-4a61-9f06-81ce4300476a
  6. Can't create new folders.

Can't create new folders.: Creating new folders isn't working since I tried to change my default folders icon using this tutorial.Now everytime I create a folder I am getting this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-create-new-folders/5d2267e0-43a2-4a61-9f06-81ce4300476a
  7. Can't create new folder

Can't create new folder: When I right click on the desktop or inside a folder the option to create a new folder does not appear, also, when clicking on the "new folder" button on the file explorer or pressing ctrl+shift+n nothing happens. The only way for me to create a new folder at this point is...
  8. File Explorer can't create new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer can't create new folder: I have a new laptop which came with Windows 10 Home 2004, during my install/update/clean process it got updated to 20H2. I partitoned the disk and created a Users folder on drive D. At some point since File Explorer stopped creating new folders, right clicking doesn't show...
  9. Can't create new folders with explorer

Can't create new folders with explorer: I accidentally created 30,000 files with a couple of characters in each of them in a Dropbox shared folder. I deleted the files straight away but Dropbox way uploading them like crazy so I killed that too and restarted. Now I can only create new directories from the command...
  10. Can't create a new folder

Can't create a new folder: Why is it that, since the latest update, I am no longer able to create a new folder. I am working on an ASUS laptop with plenty of storage & RAM. I bring up 'new' & nothing happens then I am told file explorer is not responding....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant create new folder windows 10

2. cant create a new folder in windows 10

3. cant create new folder in windows 10

4. cant create new folder windows 10 explorer crashes,
  5. cant create new folder in windows freezes,
  6. cannot create folder in file explorer,
  7. windows explorer in windows 10 cannot create,
  8. cant-create folder windows explorer,
  9. cant create new folder in file explorer,
  10. cant create new folders new folders is greyed out in file explorer,
  11. windows export create new folder forzen,