Windows 10: Can't create Wi-Fi hotspot

Discus and support Can't create Wi-Fi hotspot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to create a Wi-Fi hotspot by launching an elevated command prompt and doing this: Code: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bug67, Aug 11, 2015.

1. bug67 Win User

Can't create Wi-Fi hotspot

I'm trying to create a Wi-Fi hotspot by launching an elevated command prompt and doing this:

Code: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=MySSIDName key=MyKey[/quote] Which returns:

Code: The hosted network mode has been set to allow.The SSID of the hosted network has been successfully changed. The user key passphrase of the hosted network has been successfully changed.[/quote] Then I:

Code: netsh wlan start hostednetwork[/quote] Which returned this:

Code: The hosted network couldn't be started. The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.[/quote] Why won't the hosted network start? This worked all the time in Windows 7 on the same machine. This is the only snag I've run into so far with Win 10. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

bug67, Aug 11, 2015

2. Can't create wi-fi hotspot

I'm having trouble creating Wi-Fi hotspot
    from windows 10 laptop. It says " we can't setup mobile hotspot".

Laptop has Wi-Fi functionality and connected to internet via Ethernet connection.

I have also tried creating ad-hoc network via command prompt.

NiladriBasak, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot Not working

i have a problem with creating a hotspot on windows 10. Every time i try to turn it on it says "We can't set up mobile hotspot. Turn on wi-fi." I tried turning on wi-fi but it gives the same message.
    I'm using a acer. What should I do?

Rosdan Khirul Faizy, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Hydranix Win User

Do this:

Right Click Start Menu

Click "Network Connections"

Right Click your physical wireless adapter.

Click "Disable"

Wait a couple seconds.

Right Click the adaptor again.

Click "Enable"

Now try the hosted network again.

Hydranix, Aug 11, 2015
  5. bug67 Win User
    Same thing:

Code: The hosted network couldn't be started.The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.[/quote]

bug67, Aug 11, 2015
  6. bug67 Win User
    So, I was trying to set up my Windows 10 machine for use as a wi-fi hotspot and was unsuccessful in getting a solution:

I have since traced the possible problem to a lack of a "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter_03." However, solutions such as clicking "update driver software" and uninstalling my network adapters and re-booting, have proved futile. Please help me figure out how I can get this driver so I can use my machine as a wi-fi hotspot. All this worked fine before I upgraded this machine from Windows 7. *Sleepy

bug67, Aug 15, 2015
  7. nigelmercier, Aug 15, 2015
  8. bug67 Win User

bug67, Aug 15, 2015
  9. YES, i was just going to post a new thread on it - i have 8 instances of wan miniport adapters in device manager. I googled to find info. but couldn't find any.

Why do i have them (run a private home network using Wi-Fi) and why 8 of them??!

TIA

AthanasianCreed, Aug 15, 2015
  10. nigelmercier, Aug 15, 2015
  11. nigelmercier, Aug 15, 2015
  12. bug67 Win User
    Sorry I've been so long in replying with an update to all this. I've just now had time to sit down and work with it. Unfortunately, none of the suggestions are working.

nigelmercier, thanks for the linked tutorial. However, steps 1 and 2 of that tutorial DO NOT create the virtual network as stated in my original post.

So, I am still unable to create a virtual network and would greatly appreciate some help.

bug67, Aug 19, 2015
  13. bug67 Win User

I checked with my manufacturer (Toshiba) to see if maybe an updated driver could solve this issue. Sure enough, there was a driver issued for my Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter. Hooray! I promptly installed it. Now, "Microsoft Virtual Miniport Adapter_03" is gone and is replaced with ""Microsoft Virtual Miniport Adapter_04" and "Microsoft Virtual Miniport Adapter_05." Neither one of which is operable. I can't delete them. They come back after reboot. And I still do not have a working wifi hot spot. This is becoming frustrating as I know this worked fine before the Win 10 upgrade. *Shock

bug67, Aug 19, 2015
  14. kojak130 Win User
    Bug67, were you ever able to solve this issue? I'm having the same issue with Windows 10. Appreciate the assist, Kojak

kojak130, May 7, 2016
  15. bug67 Win User
    No. I gave up. The machine in question has since been relegated to workbench duties in the garage.

bug67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't create Wi-Fi hotspot - Similar Threads - Can't create hotspot

2. IntelR Wi-Fi 6E AX120 160Mhz - Unable to create 5GHz Hotspot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IntelR Wi-Fi 6E AX120 160Mhz - Unable to create 5GHz Hotspot: Hi,PC is on opposite end of the house from router, and is plugged into Ethernet.Recently bought a TP-Link AX3000 with the intention of using it for Hotspot-WIFI with Meta Quest 2 in the same room as my PC.Windows 10 Hotspot unable to create with 5GHz, only with 2.4Ghz does it...
  3. IntelR Wi-Fi 6E AX120 160Mhz - Unable to create 5GHz Hotspot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IntelR Wi-Fi 6E AX120 160Mhz - Unable to create 5GHz Hotspot: Hi,PC is on opposite end of the house from router, and is plugged into Ethernet.Recently bought a TP-Link AX3000 with the intention of using it for Hotspot-WIFI with Meta Quest 2 in the same room as my PC.Windows 10 Hotspot unable to create with 5GHz, only with 2.4Ghz does it...
  4. IntelR Wi-Fi 6E AX120 160Mhz - Unable to create 5GHz Hotspot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Wi-fi hotspot speed issues 2.4ghz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-fi hotspot speed issues 2.4ghz: HelloI have recently build a PC with Wi-fi built into the motherboard, I have a andoid tablet that I can only connect on the 2.4ghz band, despite being about 3 metres away I get terrible speeds from sharing my 80mbps ethernet connection does anybody have any advice?My...
  6. Wi-fi hotspot speed issues 2.4ghz

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-fi hotspot speed issues 2.4ghz: HelloI have recently build a PC with Wi-fi built into the motherboard, I have a andoid tablet that I can only connect on the 2.4ghz band, despite being about 3 metres away I get terrible speeds from sharing my 80mbps ethernet connection does anybody have any advice?My...
  7. What's Wi-Fi Security of Mobile Hotspot?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What's Wi-Fi Security of Mobile Hotspot?: I'm not sure if this question is duplicated. I'm asking this question to be sure. That topic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-change-the-wifi-security-for-win10-wifi/7741cacf-5a70-4403-bbbb-e5efa7a9db2d asks about Wifi Hotspot that can be Mobile...
  8. WI-FI hotspot issue

WI-FI hotspot issue: Hi!When my laptop is connected to the internet via a LAN cable and sharing it through a hotspot, the connection through the hotspot is terribly weak, while my laptop has a relatively strong connection. This is not an issue with my mobile as other devices connected to my...
  9. Problems with Hotspot and Wi-Fi connection.

Problems with Hotspot and Wi-Fi connection.: Hi, recently I am having some troubles when trying to turn on the hotspot in my computer to share Wi-Fi to other devices. To explain everything: -I'm living on a University Residence. -I started with this problems last week. -As the router is quite far from my room, i'm...
  10. WI-FI Hotspot not working

WI-FI Hotspot not working: i apologize for the errors that i will make first. So, i have a big problem with my hotspot, i can activate it of course, but i can't connect my phone, it stays blocked when it has to pick the ip adress. So i tried first to know if the problem was my phone, but nobody else...