Windows 10: Can't customize Start Menu

Discus and support Can't customize Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I have an issue where i can't do anything with the start bar Tiles, can't drag them, can't move them at all, and i can't add new Tiles. And... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Malinero12, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Can't customize Start Menu

Hello!
    I have an issue where i can't do anything with the start bar Tiles, can't drag them, can't move them at all, and i can't add new Tiles.
    And the "Pin to Start Menu" option has just dissapeared from any file/app/folder/anything, i just get this weird "More:" thing that i've never gotten before.

Can't customize Start Menu [​IMG]

I've contacted Microsoft but they weren't of any help really. They said It's probably a virus so i did 5 scans on every anti-virus i have and it detected some, then deleted them. Later they just tried to get me to buy then ~140 Windows Antivirus thingy they're selling.
    Pls halp :c

:)

Malinero12, Mar 14, 2016
  2. Sander20 Win User

Can't customize Start menu anymore

Thanks for responding so quickly,

I tried the REG but it didn't work for me, I still can't pin items to start or move the tiles.

Are there any other possible solutions or causes for this issue that you know of?

Sander20, Mar 14, 2016
  3. Sander20 Win User
    Can't customize Start menu anymore

Hello,

I'm having some problems with the start menu on windows 10 lately. I haven't been able to find out if this is caused by some app or anything like that.

The issue

Since a few days the rearranging, pinning and deleting of tiles on the start menu has been disabled, or at least has disappeared.

Also the option to 'Pin to start' which should show up on a right-click is nowhere to be found.

I don't know what caused this and I am quite frustrated by the issue. I found a few forums with the same issues stated, and tried the solutions given, but nothing has yet helped me.

My question

Is there anybody who is experiencing the same issues and/or has found a solution to resolve this annoying issue?

Thanks in advance,

Sander

PS.:

The appendix shows the only options that appear when I right-click a tile in the start menu.

Sander20, Mar 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Can't customize Start Menu

Hi, two solutions that have been posted here on the several threads you can find for your first issue (I'd guess you'll need to do the second):

Originally Posted by paulsalter

One thing a while back that could fix strange oddities like this was to temporarily enable Tablet Mode

Open the Action Centre
    Turn on Tablet Mode (should all now go full screen)
    Try moving the tiles now and see if they stick
    Open Action Centre and turn off Tablet Mode
    Should look normal again, see if it makes any difference now

2. An in-place upgrade repair install
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    (a great repair technique which keeps all your programs and most settings)
    ->
    Thanks for your help .
    The uopgrade repair fixed the problem and was totally painless, and as far as I can tell hasn't broken anything.
    Which has got to be a first for a windows operating system*Smile

From
    Cannot move start menu tiles - Windows 10 Forums

Please let us know how you get on.

dalchina, Mar 14, 2016
  5. Uhh I'm not gonna go that far as to actually re-install Windows 10, when i first upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 i didn't get ANY option to keep all of my APPS, it just showed me "Delete all" or "Just keep personal files". So i don't think it's gonna be any different now.
    Thanks for trying to help i guess, tablet mode didn't work. As i said I'm not gonna go as far as that to fix one stupid bug.

Malinero12, Mar 15, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    No, you must believe me. I know, I've done it. And I've just done it in the last couple of days.
    It is the Windows install procedure, but you can keep all.

This repair technique allows you to keep all.
    It has solved this problem.

Those who have done it have had no real difficulties.

Despite that, I advise you to create a disk image before doing it.
    Thus if anything does go wrong you can restore your PC from the disk image.

It takes maybe 20 mins if you use SSD. It's your choice of course.

Oh, why use Win 10's start menu? Use Classic Shell. You can have a fully expanding start menu, or a Win 7 style menu. It's free. Used by many here. And it correctly represents all the sub-folders in your start menu- which Win 10s doesn't

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't customize Start Menu

1. Can't customize Start Menu - Similar Threads - Can't customize Start

2. Start menu customization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu customization: Alright, this may be a double or triple question, but I am seeking consistency within my desktop layout. Currently, I have the TranslucentTB app downloaded from the Windows Store, and it works like a charm. However, my start menu is not translucent as well ... which is kind...
  3. Start menu customization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu customization: Alright, this may be a double or triple question, but I am seeking consistency within my desktop layout. Currently, I have the TranslucentTB app downloaded from the Windows Store, and it works like a charm. However, my start menu is not translucent as well ... which is kind...
  4. Customizing Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customizing Start Menu: [ATTACH] When I move or delete items in this folder^ the start menu doesn't change even when I reboot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customizing-start-menu/379fa108-dbbf-417e-a444-dfcdf48a0768
  5. Customizing Start Menu

Customizing Start Menu: When I try to edit start menu in Explorer it does let me make changes but my changes are not reflected on the start menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customizing-start-menu/0733cd6f-d942-4239-b4af-4d778204fb8e
  6. Customize Start Menu

Customize Start Menu: Greetings, Is it possible to customize the Start menu? Specifically, I want to move "Notification Manager for Acrobat Reader" to a custom folder. I was able to create an Adobe folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe Normally, I can...
  7. Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Hi all If this post is a repeat of an existing topic, I apologize, I couldn't find anything in my searches. I'm trying to customize the Windows 10 start menu and I'm running into an issue with grouped boxes (the icons boxes created by placing one icon on top of another,...
  8. Customizing the Start Menu

Customizing the Start Menu: Is there a way to customize the Start Menu so I can remove the ABC letters & also place shortcuts into folders? What I mean is this: In 7, after I install a program, I can R-click the Orb & select (If I remember correctly) Properties or Open Windows Explorer. Opening Windows...
  9. Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Is there a way to put custom items here instead of a full list of programs in my PC? sort of winows 7 style? https://i.imgur.com/LVdbxwY.png 66926
  10. Start Menu Customization

Start Menu Customization: Hi, I want like Windows 7, I see the file shortcuts (not folders) at the top of start menu rather than in its alphabet folder. I also want to disable showing alphabets A~Z and just show folders sorted by name. Is that possible without using a 3rd party application?...