Windows 10: Can't defrag this volume for some reason

Discus and support Can't defrag this volume for some reason in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; [img] [img] I am trying to optimize my system performance, by making sure every single drive is defragged, but when I open disk defragmenter and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Fuzion64, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Fuzion64 Win User

Can't defrag this volume for some reason

Can't defrag this volume for some reason [​IMG]

I am trying to optimize my system performance, by making sure every single drive is defragged, but when I open disk defragmenter and run it for all drives 1 volume cannot be optimized for some reason.

I have a 7200 RPM 1TB W.D. Primary for windows and a 7200 RPM 2TB W.D. External USB Passport Secondary for all multimedia. What are these last two volumes and why can't the last one on the list be defragged properly.

When I click analyze and optimize its over in 1-2 seconds and it returns 12% fragmented like nothing happened.

I've also tried installing iobit smart defrag 5 and running it - It recommends a large file defrag so I do it. Then I analyze it again and it keeps requesting a large file defrag as the recommended option.

Also I have noticed that smart defrag 5 is typically much faster and it has a better interface overall. For all appearance purposes it appears as though it cleans and defrags alot better than the windows one, but what I really want to know is whether there is any advantage at all to using it over the one that comes with windows.

:)

Fuzion64, Jan 20, 2018

2. defragment and optimise drives not working in windows 10 home

Here a temporary solution I used for the same problem.

• Run the Command Prompt in Administrator mode
    • type "defrag" (no quotes) to generate the help info
    • choose a combination of switches to suit your ends
    • run defrag
    • Boil the kettle Can't defrag this volume for some reason :)
    I used "defrag c: /u /v /h" (no quotes) which worked fine on my c drive. make sure there are spaces between the switches. "defrag C: /u/v/h" won't work.

The option to defrag all volumes "defrag /c" did not work for some reason. Also I could not find the way to do a in-depth defrag that works on larger file sizes. I couldn't find a way to run defrag at boot time either, which would have been ideal.

Spudgunner, Jan 20, 2018
  3. IsacNull Win User
    How do I hide or rename the "\\?\Volume" drive?

For some reason I have 4 recovery partitions and nothing other than my C drive labeled in the Disk Management with the status showing 3 Recovery partitions and 1 EFI Recovery partition. Also for some reason I can defrag the "\\?\" volume

IsacNull, Jan 20, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @Fuzion64

That will most likely be your Recovery Partition, permissions prevent you defragging it. As you will only ever boot this if you need to repair the PC defragging it serves no useful purpose. The other one may be another recovery partition or maybe the uefi partition - again, no point in defragging it.

Thema:

1. Can't defrag this volume for some reason - Similar Threads - Can't defrag volume

2. I can't reinstall windows 10 for some reason..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't reinstall windows 10 for some reason..: So basically i had a virus which were installed through a setup in my acer laptop i was forced to make a clean reset so everything will be cleaned, but i was wrong. Throughout the process of resetting it took me about 7 hours until it cleaned the pc and started to install the...
  3. Unknown Volumes Appeared in Defragment Task

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unknown Volumes Appeared in Defragment Task: Any experts regarding this issue possible to help me? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-volumes-appeared-in-defragment-task/b543049f-49f0-4aa5-8c2e-3acf4f6c92ee
  4. Unknown Volumes Appeared in Defragment Task

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unknown Volumes Appeared in Defragment Task: Any experts regarding this issue possible to help me? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unknown-volumes-appeared-in-defragment-task/b543049f-49f0-4aa5-8c2e-3acf4f6c92ee
  5. Fixed Can't delete it for some reason

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fixed Can't delete it for some reason: Hello, my name is Daniel and a friend of mine has recently told me to use custom desktop themes. So, from the image as you can see, I've done it. But the problem is, I wanted to bring it back to default. I have tried doing some research on google. I uninstalled the app that...
  6. Many random volumes shown in defrag

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Many random volumes shown in defrag: Today I noticed that defrag shows 7 random volumes that I have never seen before, 5 of which are on an SSD. I've only ever seen 1 random volume which I assumed is a recovery partition. I have 3 internal drives (2 SSD, 1 HDD) and 1 external HDD. File history is disabled and...
  7. Trying to delete that file, but for some reason i can't

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to delete that file, but for some reason i can't: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/THELOLESTER [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iiak80/trying_to_delete_that_file_but_for_some_reason_i/
  8. Can't sign in for some reason

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't sign in for some reason: I've gone on a bunch of websites with their fixes, none of them worked. https://gyazo.com/76d685e4a3fb27a7fbd6d32adca1092d submitted by /u/egabayot [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fh8419/cant_sign_in_for_some_reason/
  9. Can't defrag

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't defrag: I have the same issue with my Windows 10. Says it can't defrag because task scheduler isn't running. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-defrag/327a5c0b-2bed-4cec-888b-050d3b11ddb2
  10. Sluggishness for some reason

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sluggishness for some reason: Hi There Windows 10 Pro 64bit, 14393.447 Realitively clean install still (system reset done when Avast beta I tested a little 12.4.2281 crashed my user account) Really Sluggish when Running Defender scan and also using Secondife Firestorm viewer, seems with an AMD FX 8310...