Windows 10: Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program"

Discus and support Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The ASUS Aura software for my ASUS B250F motherboard was working fine until I downloaded ASUS GPU Tweak II, for some reason it reset the lighting on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Guitarist54, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program"

The ASUS Aura software for my ASUS B250F motherboard was working fine until I downloaded ASUS GPU Tweak II, for some reason it reset the lighting on my motherboard back to its default rainbow setting, I went into The ASUS Aura software to change it back to the way it was before, I was using the software without an issue up until I hit "Apply" the software froze so I had to quit it in the task manager, I tried again and the same thing happened so I decided to delete ASUS GPU Tweak II which didn't resolve the issue, I then proceeded to delete the ASUS Aura software and then tried re-installing it again, all it did was make a duplicate of the files with in the original zip folder, so I deleted all the duplicates, now I just want to delete the entire ASUS folder and start over but every time I try It gives me a message saying that it can't delete the folder due to "file is open in another program" I tried right clicking, selecting properties and turning off "read only" like many forums have suggested but it keeps turning back on, I even tried going into the CPU tab in "Resource Monitor" and searching for ASUS in "Associate Handles" like many forums have also suggested, I right clicked on a few things within the results and clicked "End Process" some of them would allow me to end them and others wouldn't. I've dealt with this kind of thing before and when I click "read only" it has always stayed off, the ASUS website is protected by Secure https and I scanned the folder with "windows defender and it didn't find any viruses/malware", my problem only started occurring after installing ASUS GPU Tweak II and other forums I have since looked at have said that it can cause the ASUS Aura software to freeze.

:)

Guitarist54, Aug 26, 2017

2. Deleting of files

On my upgradation of window , Application previously installed on my system named TALLY. ERP 9 stopped working now I want to delete that application folder but I am continually getting the message - "The action can't be completed because the folder or
    a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again."

Ashish k. verma, Aug 26, 2017
  3. Billyls Win User
    How to remove Windows.old folder with attribute DI

Thanks RobertJWin. Now I get a message "Folder in Use, The Action can't be completed because the folder or a file is open in another program".

I can't find where it is open.

Billyls, Aug 26, 2017
  4. Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program"

Perhaps there is some Asus system service running that has the folder open? Run "Services" check for Asus related services and stop them. Then try it. Also I believe the Russinovich system internals tools have a ditty that will tell you who has what files open.

sgt panties, Aug 26, 2017
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    Sysinternals Autoruns. Shows Publisher and filepath. Run as Administrator. Untick the appropriate service. Reboot.

pyramid10, Aug 26, 2017
  6. Gordon7 Win User
    By "delete" the ASUS GPU TWEAK II, do You mean UNINSTALLED it?

If this was the program that started the problem after You installed it, then You must uninstall it the right way - not just "delete"
    some of it's folders!

But maybe You just use the wrong expression in your text?

Gordon7, Aug 26, 2017
  7. pepanee Win User
    Download and install: LockHunter
    Download LockHunter 64/32 bit For Free

Then you can right click on the folder and press: What is locking this folder?

It will show you what program is open that is keeping the folder from being deleted. Very useful app, I recommend holding on to it.

pepanee, Aug 27, 2017
  8. Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program"

I uninstalled the program but also wanted to get rid of files such as the launcher that were stored in the folder but it wouldn't let me so I tried to delete the folder itself and that didn't work which is why I made the thread. Thanks for your response.

Guitarist54, Aug 28, 2017
  9. I've solved the problem now using other methods, I'll keep this in mind for next time I have the same issue or a similar issue, thanks for your response.

10. I solved my issue with other methods but this is actually a great idea, I'll keep it in mind for next future issues, thanks for your response.

11. I ended up using a similar program to Lockhunter which solved my issue, thanks for responding.

12. wow... I'm almost offended but you know, you're autistic so really, you're in no position to insult my intelligence.

13. pepanee Win User

Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program"

You're welcome.

I'm glad you got the issue solved.

pepanee, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program"

1. Can't Delete A Folder Due To Message "File Is Open In Another Program" - Similar Threads - Can't Delete Folder

2. Can't delete Wildtangent folder in the Programs Files x86

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete Wildtangent folder in the Programs Files x86: Because my HP said that it was nearly full I double checked for bloatware like istalled games etc. However I find folders in the Programs Files x86 that should have disappeared when I uninstalled the programs such as WildTangent games. It won't let me delete it because it's...
  3. The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program: Below is the message I receive when I try to move a folder within One Drive using file explorer. Help? "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"...
  4. message at start up saying there's another file or folder that says "program"

message at start up saying there's another file or folder that says "program": When I start up Windows 10, I get a message that says there is a file or folder called "C:\Program" in my computer and that it might cause problems. The message asks whether I want to rename that file or folder "C:\Program1." I am reluctant to change anything for fear of...
  5. can't rename folder beacause it's open in another program

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can't rename folder beacause it's open in another program: Hey, I have the username "Firstname Lastname". The space in between the two names are causing problems with the path. So I changed the username but the folder for the username (C:/Users/username) has not changed. So I looked for this workarround:...
  6. "File or Folder is Open in Another Program" workflow disruption

in Windows 10 Customization
    "File or Folder is Open in Another Program" workflow disruption: I'm looking for a quick solution to "action can't be completed because file or folder is open in another program". I'm looking for a method that doesn't interrupt workflow...I'd like to keep all my apps/windows and folders open.. and just target that one file or folder... -I...
  7. Unable to delete files weirdly "opened by another program"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to delete files weirdly "opened by another program": Hello all, I just have cleaned up and reorganised font folders on my dropbox. But there is a folder with a bunch of fonts that I can't delete, having the message that files "is open in another program". I checked and closed everything, even rebooted in safe mode to try to...
  8. Empty folder can't be deleted because the folder is in use in another program

Empty folder can't be deleted because the folder is in use in another program: I created a new folder and open a WORD document in it. I tried to rename it but got the message "The action can't be completed because the folder of file in it is open in another program." * I closed the file in WORD, tried again and got the same message. * I moved the...
  9. File is open in another program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File is open in another program: I share a folder on my network with firetv. I use it to watch movies on a tv. If I watch a movie then in fire TV close the app I used to watch it. Then using my new upgraded win10 computer I can't move or delete that movie I watched says File is open in another program I...
  10. File is open in another program

in Windows 10 Support
    File is open in another program: I share a folder on my network with firetv. I use it to watch movies on a tv. If I watch a movie then in fire TV close the app I used to watch it. Then using my new upgraded win10 computer I can't move or delete that movie I watched says File is open in another program I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I accidently downloaded an unwanted program. When I try to delete message says the download is open in another program and cant be deleted.

2. wont let me delete program because program was open in aother file

3. what does it mean my asus laptop says the action ant be completed because the folder or a file is open in another program

4. trying to delete a folder in program x86 and its sayign the folder or file is open in another program,
  5. delete folder that is open in another program,
  6. cant delete file open in other program cant find,
  7. trying to delete sayds file is open in another folder ,
  8. how can i delete a file held open by another program,
  9. unable to modify folder due to in use by another program,
  10. when deleting file in windows giving message the action cant be completed the file is open,
  11. cant delete the folder or a file in it is open in another program,
  12. cant delete desktop folder due to open in another program,
  13. i try to delete folder but it saying opend with other program,
  14. cant get a folder off desktop message says folder is open,
  15. clear message that file is open by another application