Windows 10: Can't delete a folder named "start menu"

Discus and support Can't delete a folder named "start menu" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I copied the (highly configured) start menu folder from an old computer to a new computer. After using this folder to help configure the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by macdonal, Nov 25, 2015.

1. macdonal Win User

Can't delete a folder named "start menu"

I copied the (highly configured) start menu folder from an old computer to a new computer.

After using this folder to help configure the new computer I want to delete it. Win10 won't let me.*Sad

Is there a solution to this problem?

:)

macdonal, Nov 25, 2015
  2. Ahimoth Win User

Is there any way that one can readjust the width of the traditional start menu?

I have the exact same problem as MitchellSundt. Namely, multiple folders in the start menu named "Microsoft SQL Server 20..." You can't easily rename the folders, and you can't read the titles due to the truncation. Very annoying that there is no way to
    expand the width of the "All apps" side of the start menu. How in the world did Andre's response get marked as the answer to the issue. It obviously does not address the original poster's concerns about the *programs area* of the start menu, not the tiles
    area.

Ahimoth, Nov 25, 2015
  3. N79; can't run " home media " menu

sawatdee krap,

maybe because you havent set any connections for "home media". i think it needs to connect with your computer. you also need to install SimpleCenter's Home Media Server software on your PC

maybe this will help you -

http://europe.nokia.com/A41123203

Message Edited by fring on 23-Nov-2008 03:20 PM

fring---01, Nov 25, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, what error message do you get (if any)?
    What is the path to your copied folder?
    I wouldn't normally expect there to be a particular problem- I've made a copy of mine for reference and to extract iconised subfolders, for example.

Have you tried (e.g.) Unlocker?
    Otherwise there might be a permissions issue.. (rt click, properties, Security tab)- as to why I can't guess.

dalchina, Nov 25, 2015
  5. macdonal Win User
    It is on my desktop. I had tried everything you suggested. I can temporarily delete it but it then reappears. This is Win10 protecting the Start Menu -- normally a good thing.

You say that you have a copy yourself. I know that you don't want to try, but my guess is that you can't delete it.

macdonal, Nov 25, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    I have no problem deleting it. Actually my copy is on an external USB drive for reference as I move from 32 bits to 64.

So try restarting to a command prompt using installation media or a boot disk, then delete from there. I.e. don't delete it from within Windows.

Another thing that might be of interest is Emco's Move on Boot (which also deletes). Freeware.
    MoveOnBoot Free - Rename/Move/Delete Locked Files on Reboot

dalchina, Nov 26, 2015
  7. macdonal Win User
    I tried everything suggested; nothing worked. Also used an Ubuntu boot disk to delete the folder. It came back. I see several registry entries for the folder but I'm afraid to delete them, as they seem to reflect something deep inside Windows.

macdonal, Dec 12, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

If you have successfully deleted it and it has returned, then you need to find out
    a. What is it a copy of - is it a copy of anything else
    b. Does it reappear if you do a clean boot?
    - process of elimination- what's putting it back
    c. If so, does it happen in safe mode?

And does it reappear at some time after logging in?

So you need to do some analysis...

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't delete a folder named "start menu" - Similar Threads - Can't delete folder

2. Can't delete folders with long path names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete folders with long path names: I copied some folders onto a work computer into the "My Documents" directory.I didn't realize it but the directory is actually connected to OneDrive, as in it synchronizes to it. The actual folder path is something like:"C:\Users\FirstName.LastName\OneDrive - Company with a...
  3. Naming Glitch in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Naming Glitch in Start Menu: I am having this dumb problem with my Windows 10. The Name of "Windows Security" is replaced with "Set up Onedrive" Please tell me how do I fix it. I have tried restarting the explorer from the task manager and also have tried restarting my computer....
  4. Windows search ignores folder names in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows search ignores folder names in start menu: I know this was lost a while ago but I miss it. A lot of significant data may be in the folder name. Folder: Microsoft SQL Server tools 18 which contains "profiler". Folder: Microsoft SQL Server tools 17 which contains also contains a shortcut "profiler". For me, I want to...
  5. Folder in Start Menu

Folder in Start Menu: I accidently created a folder in the start menu by dragging one app over top of another but I hesitated a little to long and it automatically created a folder. How do I remove the folder from Start?...
  6. windows 10 start menu folder name "Unknown"

windows 10 start menu folder name "Unknown": After installing my application in windows 10, I found that the application was installed successfully in the folder C:\Users\myName\AppData\Local\myApp However, the folder name of my application is wrongly defined as "Unknown" instead of "myApp" in the start menu as...
  7. Accidently deleted my start menu folder

in Cortana
    Accidently deleted my start menu folder: Hello, I accidentally deleted the start menu folder located here: C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs I just wanted to deleted 2 icons from there. When I went in the folder, only those two icons showed up, so I proceeded to delete the...
  8. Stuck start menu group (can't delete)

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck start menu group (can't delete): Got a couple of empty groups I can't delete. They normally go away when you delete all the tiles, but these didn't. I ran my usual script to delete all bloatware from MS that comes pre-installed, so their tiles got removed but a couple groups got stuck. What I tried: 1)...
  9. Folders on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Folders on Start Menu: Hi, Last question on customizing Windows 10 *Smile Settings > Personalization > Start > Choose which folder appear on Start I need to enable ONLY the following ones: File Explorer Settings Documents Downloads Personal Folder As usual via registry! In Windows 7...
  10. Group names on start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Group names on start menu: Is there a setting to remove "group names" and grouping on the start menu. To the right of the group name input box there is a "2 slice" hamburger that does not do anything except invite naming of the group. I would prefer to have free alignment if that is possible. 53954